Balanced Audio Technology VK-30SE Preamplifiers

Tube preamplifier

Submitted by Sean O'Connell a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have the 2008 VK-31SE version of this amazing pre-amp, bought for 4000 at Audio Nexus. It it fitted with the internal P-3 phono pre-amp. I used the unit in balanced mode to drive a ARC VT-100II amp and Focal Electra speakers. Input sources are Krell KAV300cd (balanced), Sony SACD (single-end), Thorens/SME/Sumiko Turntable and Nakamichi Dragon. Interconnects are Limber Select and Harmonic technologies, speaker cable are Kimber Select. Power cables are Kimber Pro10KG.

This is one of the cleanest, most neutral pre-amps I have ever used or heard, regardless whether I am listing to Bach, Miles Davis, Diana Krall or Nickel Creek. Crystal clear upper end, wide and deep sound stage and precise imaging characterize the general sound of the VK-31SE but with out the euphonic overly warm sound found in some other tube preamps (ie, early C-J, ARC and Cary) Rhythm, pace and micro dynamics are excellent. Musical timbres are consent and natural at all volume settings.

The ability to separately adjust the input gain of each channel, as well as change the phase on the fly, are big pluses. Equals or beats the performance of pre-amps twice its price. Highly recommend this or any of the BAT SE pre-amps.

Drawbacks - The newest version of this pre-amp, the VK-32SE sells for over $6500 putting it out of reach for most buyers. However, the VK-3ix or used VK-5i SE are probably the best deals. of the BAT line.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Druilio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
My impression so far on this product that match to a Bryston 7B I buy it again.

Purchased At:   Audio Nexus

Submitted by coltrane1 a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
As you can tell by other products I've listed above, I've owned my share of BAT preamps. The only BAT preamp I haven't owned is the BAT VK3i, BAT VK40 and the BAT VK50SE. I've demoed a BAT VK50SE extensively enough (a friend owns one) to know its strengths. The BAT VK30SE gives up absolutely nothing to the VK50SE IMHO. Same dual rows of 6paks (capacitors), same dual power supply, etc...Same beautiful, lush presentation, and all the tube bloom one could want from a tube preamp design. To my ears, the performance of the exclusive 6H30 Supertube is more preferable to the commonplace 6922 widely used in preamps for over a decade...No 6922 based preamp has ever provided this type of performance in my system, even the former Stereophile A rated BAT VK5i.

All the newer BAT preamps share the same fabulous programmable user interface. I've yet to see anything as friendly and flexible. Great job BAT!

For the price of a new or used VK50SE, one should investigate the VK30SE as a very attractive option.

After trying many a preamp in my system, I've decided the VK30SE is the one to keep! Simply put, there's absolutely nothing I've heard that's as good.

Easily a 5 star rating on this one folks...

Enjoy!

Michael Yee PFE2 phono preamp
Martin Logan CLS IIz's
Martin Logan LOGOS center
DynAudio BM15A loudspeakers
B&K AVP 4090 preamp (AC-3, DTS)
JPS Labs XLR, RCA's