Balanced Audio Technology VK-40

Submitted by Nico a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
In short, this unit is currently my favorite component in my system. I purchased it with the remote and Six-Pak oil-filled capacitor option ($500 for each option). I have never heard a smoother, more liquid presentation on a SS preamp than with the VK-40. Highs are unfatiguing, midrange is well-defined, bass is tight and controlled. There are no weaknesses in both its performance and its ergonomics. I consistently preferred its sound to various Levinson, CJ and Krell pre's that I heard. It really is in a class of its own. It's definitely worth its retail value, and even better if you can find a used or demo unit.

Associated components
Harmonic Tech Pro-Silways, Pro-11's throughout
Monster HTS2500 power conditioner

Submitted by coltrane a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've waited an entire year to sample a BAT VK40. Finally purchased one recently and it was worth the wait. Everything the 30SE provided and more! Seamless presentation with VTL Deluxe 140 mono's, Pass Aleph Os amplifiers at the moment. Next step will be to integrate another BAT VK500 into the system (3rd time around). But my first impressions of the VK40 are so very positive that I believe I've just purchased my last solid state preamp ever. Nothing like having tubelike performance without owning actual tube components. Many suggested to me they believed the VK40 to be the unsung hero of the BAT preamp offerings. I'd have to conclude that I'm of that same group of believers. I've owned many a BAT preamp, and the VK40 is as good, or better (IMHO) as I've heard.

Enjoy!