B&K Components Pro-5 Preamplifiers

3.64/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Active/Passive Preamplifier

Submitted by KitR a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
About 2 years ago bought a Bellari VP129 tube phono preamp and was absolutely delighted - especially after swapping the original Sovtek Tube for an Electro-Harmonix. Began to think that tubes were the answer to my perrenial search for a satisfactory sound - as close to live as possible.
So when this B&K Pro5 fitted with a tubed output stage came up, I jumped at it. I was not disappointed!
Even so the comments about the superiority of the passive mode still hold true. Although that superiority is subtle - except for CD play. With LP and SACD it is not very marked;it has to be listened for. But in Passive Mode that irritating CD glare is GONE!Result: CD's actually become listenable over periods longer than an hour: why I returned to Analog in the first place!I'm particularly pleased since I expected to have to get a Musical Fidelity X-10D tubed unit for the CD. To in effect have it integrated is a real bonus.
However, I've found that in order to listen to headphones I have to put a metal cassette in my tape machine, hit record/pause and control volume via the record-level knob. Works, but...

Submitted by Loren Reale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had a previous Pro-5 until the rca connectors fell apart, one after another. I enjoyed the sound, but the rca failures were a terrible nuisance. Echo Hi Fi (www.echohifi.com) had one used with upgraded, stronger, gold rca connects.

I thought, what's the worst that can happen and if it does it's not much money. Strangely enough I simply swapped one problem for another. While the RCA connects eliminated one problem, the improved gold conductivity was like putting rocket fuel in a Chevette. Only after downgrading the cables to old Monster cables did it all smooth out.

After a lot of work, it's working well. Thugh there's an occasional crackle out of one channel. I'm just going to put my dollars aside, get a Magnum Dynalab 208 and call it a day.

Lastly, Echo Hi Fi is a great shop. They would have taken the preamp back if I'd asked.

Purchased At:   Echo hi Fi

Submitted by Philip Canard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
My brother owned this preamp back around 92/93. It drove his Vandersteen 2Ci speakers through his Coubterpoint SA-100 amplifier. It is very good for the price, but does not equal the PRO-10MC in sound or parts quality. Buy this one if you are under severe budget constraints, otherwise the PRO-10MC at around $100-$150 more is a much better deal as it is truly a high end preamp with cleaner and more involving sound. The PRO-5 is for people with associated mid-fi gear that need a little smoothing out of the sound. Great as a first serious preamp and it has a full set of controls to allow versatility in listening.

Purchased At:   Recycled Audio

Submitted by Donn Dalessandro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had not used the unit in quite some time because the
sound kept getting static in it. B&K kept telling me to
clean the terminals and twist all the dials to lubricate
them - nothing worked. In the meantime, I bought a
Rotel 995 pre-amp that I am happy with. I finally got
around to sending back to the factory for repair and was
informed that the whole back piece containing the RCA
jacks has to be replaced - the outlets are all shot. The
new replacment would be Tiffany RCA's and should last
forever. But the cost was $150 with labor - more than I
think it is worth. I told them to junk it. He said that
this model did use cheaper jacks and have given problems.
Surprisingly, I still have the B&K ST140 amp I bought
at the same time and it works just fine. Go figure! But
the technician at B&K did say that that unit uses much
better RCA's. I would not rule out a B&K product in the
future, but I certainly insure that the RCA's are of top
quality before buying again. So much for made in America
being top quality.

Submitted by Charlie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Don't buy anything from B&K....Cheeep construction negates any thrill from the sound.

Sennheiser: