Audiolab 8000 Preamplifiers

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Rob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
Ok not so sure of the year. But when I found these in a flea shop selling for £39.99 i thought erm you obviously dont know what they are.

Audiolab Preamp - 8000c
Audiolab Power Amp -8000p

I love the fact that these puppies insist on you hearing what was meant to be heard and does the quiet bit brilliantly then surprises you with so much kick in the ooomp of the music. At first I thought OMG boooooring. And then further listening I was suddenly becoming humble in the fact I was completely wrong and being almost thrown across the room (well not really but you know what I mean) I am a realistic person and know when certain brands are clearly marketed above their potential. What can I say even though when the recession hit I was offered a lovely price for these beauties; I refused to sell them. Now partnered with what I think is worthy equipment except CD player I am glad I stayed. Don't buy export buy British because we actually care about we are creating. Tank Like Build. Sound quality that wants you digging through your collection and satisfaction that makes you look like the biggest smug git on the planet. I am excited about what I have and want to share it with all. I have them don't get rid of them. I previously had a Marantz 7000 amp and this setup makes the Marantz look like a it will do product. Dont get me wrong Marantz is better than most but sorry Audiolab your magic dust does the trick.

Submitted by stimpson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought the audiolab 8000p from hifi corner (UK). I decided to pull the plug after listening to a friend's 8000s and being pleasantly surprised by the sound quality. Coupled with a rotel rc-03 pre-amp and Mission 782 speakers, the 8000p produces an incredible punchy live sound with precise and deep bass without being boomy or overpowering. It sounds way more powerful than the specifications would suggest.

Now for the flip side of the coin. After a few months of light use, the amp would randomly switch itself off and back on again. I took it back to the store who then sent it back to the factory. Audiolab replaced it with a brand new unit which I was happy about. Anyway, the new unit worked fine to begin with but ran extremely hot (I'm talking electric heater hot). After a few months of use, the unit started to produce a very loud crackle though the right channel every 10 mins or so. It was sent back to the factory once again. This time they took a long long time to carry out the "repair". The unit was now running much cooler than before but after a couple of days use, the crackle had returned (AAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!). OK. I've had it with Audiolab and I'm now going to try out a Cyrus power amp. Hopefully I'll have more luck.

One other negative (not related to the above faults) is that the amp produces an above average level of hum, emitted through the unit itself and through the speakers.

I would like to give this product a higher rating as I am a great fan of british hifi, but based on my experience with this product, I cannot.

Submitted by MrT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is for the combo audiolab 8000C & 8000P bought used. A few years ago I ,after trying out and owning a nice bunch of amps (many of them british), got my hands om an 8000A mkII, wich then absolutely blew my mind. In my opinion a true performer with excellent clear sound and nice "slam" - given it's price. A few moths ago I decided to upgrade, this despite my opinion that the 8000A managed to drive my NHT 2.5i's with a fair amount of control. After searching for a few months a got my hands on 8000C & 8000P (made in the UK). Got my mind blown once again by audiolab. The soundstage and 3D imaging is simply amazing and the neutrality is unlike I've ever heard in the price range. Sound is crystal clear and the bass is deep, controlled and has the real slam to it that I prefer, though without sounding "loudness". The extra watts/amperes makes a noticable difference compared to the 8000A, especially at high sound levels. The main thing about this amp is in my opinon NEUTRALITY. Therefore I can't enough point out the importance of choice of signal source. I went with a mid range Cambridge Azur cd player that has a good amount of "attack" and a quite coloured sound to it. For the best sound out of the 8000p - go for modern D/A conversion with a broad soundstage! And always play it with tone controls off (flat)! The phonostage deserves special mention, since it has a nice warm sound to it.

Purchased At:   private seller

Submitted by Huck-L.Berry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
Bought a audiolab combo 8000q+p at € 999 + 649 to replace my burnt out Musical Fidelity A2 after a lot of auditioning and comparing (see similar products) in the pricerange up to € 1650,-.
Sonically I found them to be just fine, really fine, balanced and neutral, with good bass and fine treble, not tiring even after hours and hours of listening. Wide stage. Lots of power. BUT:
I had auditioned 2006 models. They were all good. When the new ones arrived I was absolutely shocked by build/component quality. On the 8000q volume pot and all controls feelwise are cheapest (e.g. lots (I mean LOTS) of play), muting didn't work properly (a blop from the left channel at every switching), reaction to rc bad for volume and input. Nastily cheap speaker posts and feet. I have not ever seen any amp made so badly, at no price. The 8000p has a strong hum from within the cabinet, not from the speakers. Negligible, but worth mentioning.
An attempt by distribution to find a replacement at least for the pot produced nothing.
I handed them back.
Am I too much into build quality and touch-feel with items sitting in a prominet place in the living room? Certainly all the other amps audtioned were perfect buildwise, so why should this not be possible for audiolab?!?!

Product model year:   2008

Purchased At:   mw-audio, Munich

Submitted by Martin Farncombe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
When my Quad 33 pre-amp died I was forced to hunt for something that would work with my Quad 303 power amp and my beloved BBC LS3/5a speakers. After a trek that would make Frodo look like a slouch I came across the Audiolab series at UK£400. I now have the 8000C which, IMHO, easily outperforms the Quad 33. It's clear, uncluttered and (after burning in, placing in the right room and sacrificing a goat or whatever you have to do to make your hifi sound superb) performs nicely. Orders-of-magnitude better than the Audiolab integrated pre/power amp.

Purchased At:   PJ Hifi Guildford

F:S New Samsung 46 LED 8000 Smart TV...$750

RETURNS: Our number one goal is customer satisfaction. If you have a problem with an item you have received from us, please notify us immediately by sending us a message through email. Returns are accepted within 14 days of the time in which you have received the item, we will either refund your p ... Read More »

Denon Rc 8000

Greetings All, I have a Denon AVR 5800. Unfortunately the RC 8000 remote has a broken screen. The screen is still in tact, but because the LCD is damaged, you can no longer see what in on the display. I have been searching high and low for another one, but no dice. Is anyone aware of: Where I might ... Read More »

Realistic R-8000

Scored this for $10 today at a local thrift. Couldn't resist. The arm looks fantastic. Solid wood plinth, weighs roughly 17 lbs. Belt driven w/ a metal base and platter. It has an original Realistic cart with a Shure RS70 stylus. The headshell has an awesome retro look. I'm getting ready to ... Read More »

Suggestions for a new pre-amp (replacing Denon AVP-8000)..

So while the world's struggling with the swine flu I seem to have gotten bit by an upgrade bug yet again. To make the long story short I currently have Denon's AVP-8000 (with which I really have no fault), but am thinking of whether I should upgrade from it and to what. I don't think I'll be going ... Read More »

8000 sq ft in need of quality sound

I have a warehouse that I would like to setup with a system. What are the first steps in creating a system to this, without adding a third night job, lol within reasonable cost. What speakers or loudspeakers will carry great sound for 8000 sq ft? how many will be necessary? What models? Is a ... Read More »

FGH 26: