Audio Research LS3 Preamplifiers

4.52/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $1695.00

Submitted by Daniel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
The audio Research LS3 B has deep sound that focuses on vocals,and head lining instuments with out living behine dinamics, bass, treble.
you will find parts of music not heard before a unique style of sound smood aggressiveness
Adele,sting,andrea bocelli, bob marley tested
Emotiva xpr2 Amp,Xd1dac,Erc2 cd
Preamp LS3 B
Speaker Monitor audio Rx6

Submitted by Ed Padden a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hello, I have owned the LS3 about 4 times. I love the resolution and he lightning fast transients but have always sold it because it was fatiguing. It's a bit harsh at times, the soundstage is flat and its overall dry. The four I have had were all with different speakers, amps and sources and have all had the same result. Don't get me wrong, for around $600 - $700 used they are a great preamp but you could do better with a CJ or ARC tube preamp like the LS7.

Submitted by Dave Boyce a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have owned an LS3 for about 1 year. I have found it to have great depth and detail (with good source material). The LS3 is dead silent. The program source makes the biggest difference. Poor recordings can sometimes sound quite harsh, yet good recordings just blossom with impact, speed and realism. It is very detailed and engaging. I can see why some reviewers didn't care for it (maybe GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT?). Its a great value on today's used market. I would buy it again. I like it better than any other preamp I have used to date. I am satisfied with it today. I might try something different tomorrow. Current system, Richard Gray 400, Linn LP12-Ittock-Denon 103D, Marantz SA 8260, LS3, ARC VT200, Magnepan 3.6, Analysis Plus Oval 9 and Kinber Hero.

Submitted by HIFIVE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I did not care for this product either. It is beyond me how Stereophile gave this a Class A recommendation. I much prefered the Audio Research LS9 which is the replacement for the LS3. In fact I love the sound of the LS9. The LS3 sounds very average. Not a very musical sounding or involving preamp! I was thrilled I was able to sell it!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Escaladeur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
I didn't care for this preamp. I bought it based on the reviews but I found it lacking emotion and musicality. I compared it head-to-head in my sytem with 3 other preamps and the LS3b came in last in my rankings. The competition was: Conrad Johnson PV10, Classe CP50, McIntosh C712.

It is detailed but no more than the others. I heard the same things and no more. However, musicality was poor, texture was lacking, and the soundstage was flat. My roommate which isn't into audio agreed with me on all accounts. He could hear it just as well as me.

The top contender was the CP50, followed by the C712, PV10, and finally LS3b.

System synergy is paramount so I always list my associated equipment. Otherwise, the review is meaningless since the reference and context is missing. I use JM Lab Electra 926 speakers, McIntosh MC7200 amplifier, a Jolida JD100 tube cd player, and all MIT cables.

I have treated and tested my room to make sure my frequency response is accurate so that I can rely on my opinions. This is all too often overlooked by reviewers.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

speakers reborn as LS3/5a clone

One of my old speaker systems consisted of a set of KEF drivers I brought back from London in 1979 - a set of veritable T27, B110 and B139 units that got put into a set of cabinets. The tweeter and midrange went into a small custom built cabinet the size of a LS3/5a and the woofer went into a transm ... Read More »

Need Rogers LS3-5A driver

After 30 years of making beautiful music, the driver on one of my LS3-5a's (15 ohms)decided it had enough and fried. Does anyone know where a replacement can be found? Please help!!Read More »

Audio Research LS3 or Classe CP47.5

I have been searching to purchase a preamp amd amp. I am driving a pair of Celestion SL600 and am going to use a Classe CA-101 amp and trying to decide between the LS3 or the CP-47.5 I am looking for advice on which has a better sound. Also would getting another CA-101 and bridge enhance the soun ... Read More »

FGH 26: