Audible Illusions Modulus L1 Preamplifiers

4.75/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1895.00

Tube Line stage preamplifier with Headphone jack.

Submitted by simon tam a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
The audible illusions L-1 linestage was purchased from art ferris the owner of audible illiusions who are now located in ormond beach florida a postal money order for 750.00 was sent to art on nov 3rd 2009 and i was supposed to get a rebuilt m3a, which i was told by art that it would be ready to ship in 3 days. this is where things took a turn for the worse. my m3a did not arrive as was promised i called art and was told he was waiting on parts, well to make a long story short after about 75 phone calls to art and countless escuses of all sorts and 5 months later i relented and agreed to have him send me a rebuilt L-1 linestage that took another 3 weeks to arrive. in mike fremers1996 m3a review in stereophile he stated that you should not send money in advance for a preamp to be shipped to you that was 1996 well that still holds true as of march 2010.after the preamp arrived i went through a 1 month brake in period. i was ready for some serious listening. the first thing i noticed was that this thing is very bright almost harsh on the top end. and very cool and clinical sounding not to my liking at all.in all honesty i think my opinion is somewhat jaded on this piece . it has been sold and replaced by an audio research LS-16 which is light years ahead of L-1 . exercise caution in your dealings with MR ART FERRIS

Submitted by Marius a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
I must say that I am very pleased with this preamp. It gives music a presence that makes it seem alive. The soundstage is very big and deep with 3 dimensional imaging.

A number of CD's in my collection I could not listen to and was about to throw away because they had too much glare and were too harsh. Now I am going to keep them and they all sound much better.

There is a lot of detail. This detail is in all frequency ranges - high as well as low. You also get the sence of many individual instruments playing. You can actually pick out the instruments as they play.

I actually was so pleased with what I heard that I must confess that I decided to split my system into a music and a home theater system and went out and bought VTL Tiny Triodes(2001) to pair with it.

I really recommend this preamp if you want very high quality sound !!!!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by rgollberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased used for $619. My first foray into Tube gear. I was amazed. A notable difference in lows & sound stage. It sound more "natural" Voices sound like voices, instruments like instuments. I use a simple Sony JukeBox for CD's and use an Old JBL Metregon for speakers alternating with a newer set of Platium Audio Speakers. Amp is Adcom 555.

Purchased At:   Toys-in-The-Attic

Submitted by dukler a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
The baby brother tho the 3a. A wonderful sounding amp and all i can say is to hear one if you come across on it is amazing

Purchased At:   toys from the attic

Submitted by wood a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
One of the best preamp I have ever used And I used many. Smooth and detailed. Caution very particular of tubes used I bought replacment sovtecks (junk noisy ) go to tubeworld.com he will take care of you I bought some amprex a little pricy but worth every penny about 140$ a pair it open this preamp to a new level and music comes out of blackness. awsome

Audible Illusions Modulus L1- Am I missing something?

Howdy folks! Well I got a chance to audition one of the above, probably the highest quality piece ever in my system. Clarity. Noise floor. It should be GREAT! It has a very nice sound BUT - it seems like it, as my audio challenged SO put it!, "runs out of steam". It gets louder but never seems ... Read More »

Premier Mounts: