Aragon Aurum

Submitted by John Pfarr a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
I found the Aurum to be as neutral as any pre I've auditioned. The quality and construction are excellent. Plus I love to actually get out of my chair and turn the massive knob like the good old days. I am currently using to drive my McCormack DNA-1, however others have had great success not matter what amplifier make or model. If you own this baby, make sure you have the latest phi beta caps. If not, get them from Mondial or have them upgrade it for you. Highly recommended at any cost. 5 stars*****

Submitted by Glenn D. a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
Purchased an Aurum to drive my McIntosh MC300 and Paradigm Studio 60's. Using both analog (Shure Type VMX, Thorens, Threshold FET ten/pc) and digital (Sony CA9ES) sources with Tara Labs cables between everything. Am very, very pleased with the overall system sound. Used a passive line drive before this active preamp and have picked up considerable detail across the spectrum with the Aurum, especially at lower listening levels. I can now clearly hear the music "as recorded". A most excellent preamp I do not hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a very high quality addition to their system.

Submitted by James Hess a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 3, 1998

Bottom Line:
I received my Aurum as a Christmas present from my wife (as in " OK just go ahead and buy it but you better be happy with it!] ! I replaced a "hand crafted' pure class A preamp built from a Mark V electronics kit. I was very happy with the homemade preamp and it was very inexpensive, so I was a little aprehensive about spending this kind of money for a preamp that I was afraid really couldn't sound much better. The Aurum is a beautiful piece of work - very solid, heavy (about 36lbs I believe including the outboard power supply), with a nice feel to the controls. The sound is several steps above and beyond my previous preamp and seems to be a sinergistic match with my Aragon 8008BB amp. Really this combination is like getting a whole new collection of CDs, I'm hearing sounds that were either inaudable or unnoticable before in my entire collection! Rating a 4 because there's always something better!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile