Antique Sound Lab AQ2004 DT Pre Amplifier Preamplifiers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $284.00

Mini Size 3 Line Inputs All tube Pure Class ''A'' Circuitry High grade parts

Submitted by jmall a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was quite surprised what a tube preamp can do to a solid state system. I would recommend adding a tubed pre to any system from my experience. Most of the CD nasties went away. Also soundstage and overall musicality increased. When I purchased this pre, I actually had the pre tested in a system that was mostly top-of-the-line Musical Fidelity (A308 series I think) stuff driving Martin Logans (Ascents I believe). I know, I know. A pre of this price would not belong here. But from what I can remember, while there were definite differences (like the MFs extended top and low end and better soundstaging) and the MF was definitely better, at 10x the price of this ASL pre, the laws of diminishing return certainly ruled here. It acquited itself quite well. Taking it home, I was not disappointed AT ALL. In fact, it's almost as if the upgrade bug (what I like to call audiophile syndrome) drifted away. This was the last part I have purchased in quite a while and I think I might finally be happy. To be truthful, I know this is not the be all end all of sound. This pre certainly has its downside. It's a little tinny for tube sound. The included tubes could be upgraded to possibly mitigate this but I haven't done it. It also doesn't "blossom" as well as it could. But for $300 bucks (and those are Canadian bones including taxes) you can't go wrong. I think I can highly recommend anyone not satisfied with their solid state sound to try this pre out in their system. In my case, it replaced a particularly good receiver acting as a preamp (Marantz SR9200) and it surpasses its sound in leaps and bounds. The bottom line: I definitely must say try it! If it doesn't make a positive impact on your system, at least you're only out a few hundred bucks. And in audiopile land, that's a drop in a very large bucket.

Purchased At:   Sounstage Audio

Submitted by bobkearney a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was in between preamps so I decided to go 'tubed' and purchased the AQ2004. I have the Magnepan 1.6qr's and most agree the way to go is SS amp/tubed pre-amp. I chose this over others in it's price range ie the bottleneck/foreplay (actually $150 less in kit form) but did not want to wait the 6 months for it to come in.
First off I was disappointed in the reduced soundstage compared to my old adcom 565 projected. Sonically it really tamed my Bryston 4bst SS amp, reducing it's sibilence and harshness SS's are known for. All-n-all I bought it not expecting much for a $350 preamp in that's basically what I got. I'm going to order the bottleneck foreplay after I completed my basic soldering course and put the Soundlab on ebay/audiogon.

Purchased At:   jeffsoundlabs

Submitted by tom_hankins a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for the A.S.L. OTL32 pre-amp/headphone amp. This amp is amazing as a headphone amp. With the stock tubes it's got alot of power, pace and punch. I have not got to use it that much as a stand alone preamp but what I've heard I've liked. This review is as a headphone amp. It makes both the senn.hd600 with cardas cable and the sony cd-3000 sound great. Anyone who uses headphones, likes tubes that can let the bass through, and needs a preamp should give the ASL OTL32 a try.

Purchased At:   upscaleaudio

Submitted by II Quader a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
What can I say, replaced my Quad 22 control unit with this. It is a perfect match for my QuadII's. The sound stage has depth and clarity with excellent bass for tubes. and the Price 450 Can WOW. The boys at Executive Stereo promised I would be impressed. This beats units over $1500 I have auditioned.

Purchased At:   Executive Stereo

Submitted by jolner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended way to get into tubes without breaking the bank.

Purchased At:   Brooklyn Audio