Anthem Pre 2L Preamplifiers

4.62/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1299.00

Tube Pre-amp

Submitted by Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Great pre-amp. I am looking for the Pre 2L SE. Please call me at 843 442 2732 if you have one for sale. Thanks.

Submitted by A-Audiophile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have owned this Pre amp for a couple of years now, I must say mine does go though some tubes [needs replacements about every year] but the sound is GREAT, tubey yet on par with any solid state in terms of detail and air. For the price I dont think anyone can go wrong with this preamp. I'm thinking about some mod's like silver wire etc. but to tell you the truth I'm totally happy with it just the way it is....my amp is Aragon 8008BB and Dynaudio Audience 82 speakers with kimber 8TC wire...weak link in system is kimber, so I'm going with Cardas after testing many different cables...IMO Kimber lacks imageing and bass.

Purchased At:   0

Submitted by tkhoo18 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Natural and warm sounding but slamp like a solid-state.
First-rate imaging, soundstage and detail.

An excellent product that would become a collectors' item if not already.

Submitted by Armen VB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I own the pre 2l se. This preamp is mated with a nad 521 cd player, and a anthem mca 20 amp..... driving paradigm monitor 20 v2. This pre amp does an exccellent job at articulating a wide soundstage. Not to mention, the headphone amp is high current and uses the tubes to apply the gain.(awsome w/ sennheiser HD-600's) This pre amp, the special edition is fast, transparent, and actually has little tube characteristic sound, although I feel the sound is smoothed do to the tube gain stage.

Purchased At:   upscale audio

Submitted by kram a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've used this preamp for 8 months. I kind of have an urge to return to solid state for simplicity, but can't pull the trigger on selling this preamp. It sounds just outstanding, crystal clear and clean sound. HT bypass makes it probably a keeper for life, I just can't find an affordable highend alternative with that feature.

I think it sounds great with the stock tubes, but being kind of the antsy sort,
I bought some used Bugleboys on ebay to replace the Sovteks. No real improvement . I tried some new Teslas (the cheap ones from Triode). No real improvement. Then finally I found a different quad of Bugleboys with a little more life in them - abracadabra! Now that's high end! I wish I could pop for some nice NOS tubes, but frankly the way this pre sounds with the simple Sovteks blows me away. Any other tubes that work out are gravy on the cake.

I'll only part with this preamp if I find myself in a position to steal a nice solid stater with all the features I need. Not too likely. This preamp is a killer!

Purchased At:   Audiogon