Anthem Pre 1L Preamplifiers

4.27/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $995.00

Submitted by 300ZX_twinturbo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
I owned this unit for less than one month as I just could not stand to look at it any longer, and took a loss punting it out of my house.

Considering it was made by former SF people I am surprised what a POS this thing was. The build quality looked good, and it does have a pretty face, but beneath that silky exterior resides a brittle and misguided mutant.

The sound stage is just plain weird, not realistic and simply just so very wrong. The sound is grating and sibilant not unlike someone driving a newly sharpened pencil into the ear cavity. I tried a half-dozen tube brands an none sounded right. I even connected it to 2 different amps to no avail.

The best day I had in a long time was when I took it to the post office and sent it down the road.

...AVOID AT ALL COST!

Submitted by M. Fri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice looking pre and built quite well for the price, which is puzzling as it's nearly....correction.. it IS the worst sounding unit in it's price range that I have ever owned.

I tried several brands of tube in it, and none made it acceptable. Poor soundstage, grainy, and shrill. Not unlike someone shooting razor blades into your ear canal. The soundstage as well seemed very odd indeed, sort of misplaced and unrealistic.

Considering it's from the people that made Sonic Frontiers, it's baffling why this one is such a P.O.S.

I had it for a month and couldn't stand it in my house any longer so I sold it at a loss. What a shame, such a pretty face but a disastrous sonic character.

I could not recommend this to anyone.

Submitted by Henry Strong a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought my PRE1L a while ago second-hand for NZ$500 (about US$350). It has NOS Mullard tubes in now and it sounds amazing! Previous equipment in my system has mostly been NAD and Rotel integrated stuff. I'm running the Anthem into a homemade (300wpc)Mosfet amp loaded with a pair of Image 414 (VERY GOOD NZ made 2 & 1/2way towers). My current CDP is NAD C541i and this in combination with the PRE1L is an excellent match.

The Anthem PRE1L is a true giant killer and well worth a listen if you don't want to spend stoopid money on a valve preamp and don't need a phono input.

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by David Read a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is my first tube preamp, so i was't used to the heat issue . Had to modify my (homemade)rack to allow better ventilation. Now, for the sound. In a word,WONDERFUL. Especially with classical and jazz. Strings that were once somewhat harsh with the H.K. were smoothed out,Witout becoming too laid back. Voices very detailed, every inflection, even breaths taken between phrases,are crystal clear. I must comment that I did make a tube change, however. I went to the Westinghouse ECC88-6922,A.K.A. Tesla, ordered from Audio Advisor. Found the Westinghouse tubes to have a lower noise floor than the Sovteks.Slightly more detail, and tighter bass as well. But don't let this disuade you from trying this preamp,it is an excellent unit. I have no intention of replacing it. Highly Recommended! Associated Equipment: Adcom GFA 555,Vandersteen 2ce Signature,Pro-ject6.1 turntable with Grado z2+, NAD5240 cd,Kimber8tc+4tc in bi-wire,Kimber Silver Streak.

Submitted by drobo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Beautiful no frills tube preamp. Spartan design that yields extremely neutral low noise performance. Can be enhanced with several NOS 6Dj8 tube variations.

CSB 1206 BLK: