Adcom GTP-500II Preamplifiers

3.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Preamp w/tuner

Submitted by KefKing a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
This preamp/tuner is outstanding at its price point. I use an Arcam Alpha 8SE hdcd/cd player and an Adcom GFA-555 (200 wpc) amp into KEF Reference 103/4 loudspeakers, and the sound is unbelievable. Noticibly better than systems costing much more. Unitl I purchased the GTP-500II, I was using my Onkyo Integra A/V receiver as my preamp. I is an expensive A/V receiver with preamp outputs, so I expected it would be OK. Well it was, but man when I switched to the Adcom preamp the system really came alive!! Somehow the Integra was sapping or robbing the bass response, and I was on the verge of a subwoofer purchase. The Adcom, however, has a made a sub out of the question. The power flows through the Adcom so smoothly and freely, and the bass just came alive!! The soundstage and stereo separation is excellent, as it was using the receiver, but the frequency range and especially the bass is strong, clear and tight. The GTP-500II offers two sets of rca outputs; one labeled "Lab" and one labeled "norm". The owner's manual states that "Lab" is for the more critical listener, and allows the full frequency range, while "Norm" uses filters to protect the system. I'm using the "Lab" outputs with nice Audioquest Hyperlitz interconnects, and the sound is fantastic..Remote control is a little limited and outdated, but overall an excellent preamp.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by bcastine a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
Never skipped a beat in the years i've owned this pre amp. I use the 500II biamped with 2 adcom 545II's to power a set of original infinity kappa 8.0's. The majority of critical listening consists of listening to albums, and the phono section of the 500II will not dissappoint. The phono section certainly isn't bright, only transparent while reproduceing the most delicate sounds accurately. In fact the 500II bigger brother the 555 preamp had one of the best phono sections ever tested by stereophile mag. at any price range!
In retrospect I should have gotten the 555 over the 500II as I rarely use the tuner, but it does do a very good job of pulling in FM. AM is a different story, I love talk radio, and can't tune to the majority of channels. Example if I wanted to listen to 850, it goes from 846 to 855 and won't pull 850. A minor annoyance.
Build quality is acceptable, looks weaker then it really is, mine has been shipped around the world and back and survived. Only issue is the volume knob has some some slop if pulling outwards, which does give a cheapish feel but doesn't affect performance, probably an easy fix. Also after 12yrs. of ownership the balance control needs to be cleaned, if adjusted, it snap crackles and pops.

Submitted by prc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
Had this product since new back in late '94. Haven't had a single problem with it in the past 11 yrs. As mentioned it is a bit bright, but as with all products it needs to be partnered carefully. Tuner section is excellent. Highly rate this product for the price, especially @ what you can get them off e-bay.

Purchased At:   Listening Room

Submitted by Dean Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Sound quality is acceptable for the price I paid for the unit.The tuner is better than I expected it to be and a cut above the tuner in the Yamaha receiver in my A/V main system.I don't belive you would wnt to match this pre up with a brght sounding speaker.I've paired it with Celestion DL-8'sand Ohm Walsh 2's and it sounded fine.

Submitted by Fly Boy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this preamp/tuner since the early 90's w/o so much as a hic-up of a problem. I matched this with my Proton AA-1150 DPD amp and they make beautiful music together. Maybe I like high-highs, but this is one of the best products to come from Adcom. The last guy must have received a damaged/sub-par unit or has an extremely silver-spoon taste. Paired with my JBL L-100's, this system is the envy of my friends. No-nonsense great music.

Purchased At:   Can't remember