Adcom GTP-350 Preamplifiers

Processor/preamp

Submitted by mahim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
Fantastic preamp (especially for the price I paid for it). I tried the Adcom GTP-500 before this and the bass sounded awkward. Nothing like that with this cheaper one. I ran my DAC output directly to the power amp and compared it with the sound with the preamp wired. After hours of listening I could tell only a very slight difference in mids.

Purchased At:   Local used

Submitted by Sanlyn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
After 8 years I still use this puppy all the time. I even gave away it's one-time, short-term replacement -- a $1200 Adcom high-end preamp (but I kept the 350's tuner in the circuit). I had only one, but very important, reason for ditching the high-end Adcom: it was very clean, but very lifeless. Most boring preamp I ever owned. Meanwhile, the 350 does have its faults: a somewhat shallow (but adequate) soundstage that does have decent width and air; a very sweet, musical sound, almost tube-like; very lively dynamics and gorgeous midrange. The bass is a trifle overdone, but solid with good oomph. Lot of energy in this little budget unit. The only preamps I've heard that have live quality were the old Dyanco PAT-5's, long since gone, and units that cost 10 times that of the 350. The FM tuner is quite good: I've picked up broadcasts from NY stations that were so life-like they were startling. Am is average buit highly sensitive. Has very mild tone controls that are out-of-circuit in the straight-up position, a feature found only on pricier units. Inputs and outputs are quite adequate, with very clean phono and CD sections. No, it does NOT sound like the $5000 preamp I really want, but it has a euphonic quality and nice dynamics that would make it a steal if purchased used but clean. I've had offers for mine, but it's staying at home: it has never disappointed me and has repaid the original (cheap) purchase price many times in listening enjoyment. It's certainly a huge step beyond the shrill disasters marketed by NAD and a few others at the same price or higher, and it run circles around the typical low-fi receivers at Circuit City. Hook it up to high-quality components, and it's a budget audiophile's dream come true. I know 2 others who bought this in '96 when I did, and they'll never go back to low-fi again.

Purchased At:   Harvey NYC

Submitted by Brent van de Graaff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am new to the separates game, but I must admit that I am impressed with my first system. It consists of the Adcom 350, an Adcom 4500, Ohm Walsh 3X0's and a yamaha cd player.

I like it quite a bit. I have never used the tuner, but other than that feature, there really isn't much to this pre amp.

I paid so little for it, that it is a great bargain. I have been bitten by the audio bug however, and look forward to building a higher end system in the upcoming months.

The controls of the 350 are very basic and straightforward. I wish the unit had a remote, but with an output level control on my cd player i get by.

In conclusion, this is a great piece to start with to introduce you to the separates side of hi fi, especially at this price point.

Purchased At:   Ebay