Adcom GFP-750 Preamplifiers

4.21/5 (96 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Mosfet design, discrete class A circuits

Submitted by rangeroo22 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure what ancillary equipment these previous two dimwits were using,but it's quite obvious they both believe that they're not only professional audiophiles,but that they have the right to judge other peoples'subjective opinions about this preamp. I've owned this preamp three times since it came out in '99 and must say in my humble experience I'd place it in the top three preamps I've owned over 35+ years of this hobby. I've currently got it mated with a Plinius SA 100 MkIII amplifier and am immensely happy with the sonics provided by these two pieces. I'm using Nirvana SL IC's along with Audience ,and Kimber IC's in my system with Hyperion 938s'.My sources are a Jolida JD 100 tubed CD player in stock form as well as a highly modded JD100 by Chris Johnson @ Parts Connexion (formerly of Sonic Frontiers).The top end is beautifully rendered with no overtones on sibilants,the mids are dlicately musical or can be smashingly powerful with the bloom and musicality of a live performance. The bass changes depending on which player I'm using,depending on the recording at any particular time. My point is,there are so many different factors(synergy of components,cables,power conditioners,etc>)it seems a bit rude to me for anyone to judge someone elses opinion on a particular piece of equipment. To each his own. The key element to all of this is ENJOY THE MUSIC. what's the use of putting someone elses opinion down to justify your own???

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by electronicsprof2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have two homes, one with a top quality system, and a second home. I bought this ADCOM for the second system based on low price and good reviews.
I had it in the second system for several months and didn't think much of the system, so I took the ADCOM and the CD player to my primary system to try and see what was what. The sound quality of the ADCOM was clearly the problem.
My main system has an Audio Research LS2, and by comparison the ADCOM sounds harsh and dry in the treble and has poor bass definition. It was definitely the problem.
I then took my Cambridge A300 integrated amp that I was using with the TV set and took it to my second home, and this $300 integrated had a better-sounding preamp section than the ADCOM, in a direct comparison. I thought maybe the ADCOM was broken, but when I had it checked, the technician said it worked fine with a test signal. He said he had a lot of experience with the 750 over the years, and it never was a very good-sounding unit.
In looking over the reviews here more critically, it looks to me as if the people who think this unit sounds good are using stuff like Onkyo and other 'mid-fi' equipment in their systems (to listen to what?). No wonder.
If you are used to high-quality audiophile sound in your system, this thing isn't goona sound worth a darn to you; it's just not in that class.
It has mediodre to poor sound, in my opinion. Bad value for the money, even used.
You are far better off buying an NAD or Cambridge or Music Hall Integrated amp for $400-$600.
You will save money and get better sound.

Purchased At:   used-private party

Submitted by jjarock a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of research before selecting this preamp. I realize my tastes reside in the over $2000 price range for their quality of sound. The Adcom GFP-750 is competitive in this area and it made almost all of my recordings sound much better than my old Adcom 565 did. Unfortunately the build quality of their products has suffered after the company was sold a few years ago. I have 4 other Adcom products that I have used for over ten years with no problems at all. I have had many problems withe the GFP-750 since I purchased it. The first problem was the unit shutting off when you touch the metal plate on the front panel. When I called Adcom they said that this was most likely static electricity. After this I have only used the remote to contol the unit and I would no longer touch it. This seems to have cured this problem. The next problem is that the controls for slection, volume, or balance sometimes freeze up when using the remote and the master power switch needs to be turned off to re-set it. The worst problem is that the right channel intermitently drops down to about half volume. I contacted Adcom to see if I could send it to them for a warranty repair, but they would not let me send it in. Instead they offerd a local repair shop which I took it to. This shop did not seem qualified so I took it back home. I have since found a service center that was out of state where it is now. It is obvious that Adcom is not even close to being the same company that they used to be. This unit does not have much resale value when I recently looked at some more expensive pre-amps at a local audio retailer. I wish now I would have spend a few more dollars and purchased something that was much more reliable. This will be the last Adcom product I purhase.

Purchased At:   Audio specialty reta

Submitted by audio-file a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
It is a great bargain and a incomparable, brillant design by Nelson Pass. The preamp has solid, but not extended bass and highs. It's surgically linear. It's quiet, dead quiet. One really could not ask for more in a solid state preamp.

I have the great fortune of owning two completely parallel systems that use the same source material and speakers. Running a comparison between systems under identical conditions and equipment is a breeze.

Purchased At:   eBAY

Submitted by cteffner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
The GFP-750 is a fantastic sounding pre, especially in the "passive" mode. It has little sound of it's own, only traces of being an Adcom, if you know the Adcom "sound". I didn't find this objectionable, since Adcom has made some fine pre's, this being the best so far.

Purchased At:   audio advisor