Adcom GFP-710 Preamplifiers

4.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Submitted by Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Adcom GFP-710 preamp and GFA-5500 high current power amplifer on second hand on Ebay to run Rotel CD player, Rotel direct drive turntable, DVD, Tuner, and Tapedeck through Acoustic Research AR-1 tower speakers with 500 watt powered subwoofers. This is a solid preamp for someone who wants to listen to stereo (as opposed to surround noise) and who wants to listen to vinyl records as well as CDs and DVDs. The phono section is excellent. The multiple inputs allow me to hook up all of my gear at once. I also like the three power outlets on the back and the slim dimensions of the unit.
When I first purchased the 710 there was a problem with the remote control. Occasionally when the volume up or down was pressed, the volume would not stop increasing or decreasing even when I stopped pressing the remote button. I contacted Adcom in New Jersey, and even though I had purchased it second hand from Ebay, they offered to repair it for free. Not only did they repair it (replaced the remote sensor unit), they did so in less than 2 weeks over the busy Christmas holidays and charged me nothing. It is nice to know that they stand behind their products.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Thomas. Lindsey a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
My system consist of Bose 901 Series VI (1989), Carver TFM 15CB Power Amps (2 Bridged), DBX 3BX Dynamic Range Expander, Adcom GFP 710 Preamplifier, Pioneer Tuner, HK CD Player, Sony DAT Recorder, Onkyo Cassette Deck, and the Bose 901 EQ.

I have searched for a strong, solid pre-amp for the last 5-7 years. I auditioned Carver's CT26v on my system; I was not satisfied at all! The bass was flat; the mids and highs were too bright. Then, I read about Adcom! Adcom produces some of the best audiophile products! Their Amps and Pre-amps are great!

I purchased the Adcom GFP 710 preamplifier and it brought life to my system. The Carver amps are musical, powerful amps that provide warmth to your listening material.
Please make no mistake, This preamp has a set of preouts that allow you to bypass the tone signals or utilize the main preouts to connect your amps. I like connecting the preamp both ways! If you are looking for a nice, solid preamp for the value, purchase this one!

Please keep in mind that your musical interest will determine your audio brand components. The speakers, amps, cs players and preamps are the most important parts of your system. If you are listening for a perfomance system, add this preamp to your system. If you are just beginning this hobby, I recommend you research your products, brands, and performance before you purchase. I have been involved with this stuff for the last 16 years; it can be expensive! In the long run, it is worth it because you pay for good sound!

Enjoy your listening!

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Grant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm upgrading my NAD114, because it doesnt have a remote control and compared to other high end preamps it's the weakest link in my system. My system is : Parasound 1000A Amp, B&W DM602-S2,Sony DVD S330, Audioquest interconnects, Luminous Audio speaker cables - 11awg.
The fist thing i noticed was overall improvement on sonics.
Better dynamics, and imaging created a more realistic soundstage. Im quite pleased for being right out of the box.
Another reviewer mentioned cheap buttons. The cheapness is the solenoid buttons for the different line outputs.I see no problems with this. i love that this preamp has (3) 115v sockets in back to plug your other components into! No other preamp less than a grand has all the features this unit has.I listen to jazz mostly, and having a mono button is a nice feature for all the ertegun productions. Only reason not to buy this unit is if you have a class A system.
class b is fine by me! cheers.

Purchased At:   audio exchange

Submitted by Michael Lorenz, jr. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very good sound for the money. A good warranty, and good looking, too.

Submitted by kirk kelley a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
adcom gfp 710 I just purchased the 710 out of box for 399.00 and am in audio heaven. very quiet and cozy warm. the best there is for the dough out of my smallish collection of 12 preamps!

TARA LABS: