Adcom GFP-565 Preamplifiers

4.48/5 (27 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Submitted by Robert Gray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2017

Bottom Line:
I could go on and on about just how good this Preamplifier is and compare to others I've used from Krell Mcintosh etc but I want to focus on two things that are not mentioned by others as much .
Starting with the designated Headphone Amplifier which rivals the best out there including the Hugo that costs close to $3000 and quite frankly even with the hardest to drive electrostatics I have driven the Adcom GFP-565 just destroys any preamp ive used and yes this is old enough as to need an external DAC but buy a Fiio D3 and you will be shocked how well your HD audio tracks sound with these two items mated together.

And last but not least is the onboard Phono Preamp which is the best I have ever heard..
You can get the Adcom GFP-565 on the bay for less than $600 and do yourself a favor and buy a Fiio D3 DAC for about $20 and you will have a very potent Preamplifier that plays well with every Power Amplifier ive used with it.

This is huge bang for buck if your an audiophile that plans to bypass the bass and treble section or like me and want to add an EQualizer like my Audiosource one ( the Ferris Bueler Model LOL

Submitted by Miles Morris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
Not exactly sure what year I bought my GFP-565 but I got it brand new. It's hooked up to an Acurus A-250 and I have a pair of Near 50ME's, Transparent and MIT cables.This adcom has never failed me.. I had a B&O RX-2 table for many years but recently got a Project Debut lll with an Ortofon Red and was really impressed with how loud I could turn it up after the table was broken in. My Pioneer Elite CD player and Elite cassette deck and another HK deck sound just swell as well. Back when I was in the military, mid to late 70's, I went through several upgrades...several! Best preamp I ever owned was an AGI 511A that was stolen, along with a Bryston 3B and a sweet Denon DP1200 with a Infinity Black Widow arm w/ a Grado G1+...I never got up to that level of gear again....but this Adcom is indeed worthy of attention....

Submitted by ray cooper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
i bought this preamp in 91, along with a gfa 555 mark 2 and im still using it today in my music only system, i have anthem home theatre in other room with high end blu-ray plyer 2 subs and so on. but for 2 channel music, i still prefer listening to my adcom combo, even though the anthem sounds awsome, the adcom is a lot less fuss to use, ive swapped this preamp out a couple times with rotel, nad, pioneer and kenwood to compare, the adcom wins everytime. the only complaint is no remote, no xlr outputs and the function/rec out knobs are a little cheesy but i value the inside more anyways, no its not a bryston or krell or a goldmund or levinson, but for the 750.00 price new (then) it offers alot. not grainy or thin or artifical, have a denon 2900 hooked to it with epos interconnects with infinity reference spkers (old kappas). great entry level preamp, but i am a bryston fan!

Submitted by bryndildaddy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
When beloved Lux integrated blew up second time I had originally intended on launching my foray into seperates with a GFP555mkII tied to as powerful a B&K amp as I could afford. Bases on reviews here, and elsewhere, chose the 565 instead.

Build quality not rocking my world - with age rotary controls developing a certain amount of play, but all circuit board lay out and aluminum bottom plate show interesting design touches. Pretty much all the ins and outs that I need, especially being a two channel kind of guy. Love the various direct output options.

This unit is very revealing. I've now paired it with probably a dozen different CD player and interconnect options, finally settling on a fellow Adcom 575, and Kimber Kable PBJs as the only listenable combination for me. The BIG selling point of this preamp is its phono stage. It is so quiet, detailed, and revealing! I briefly switched to a vintage (solid state) MacIntosh for short term entertainment, but that units phono stage was virtually Flintstone in comparison.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by recchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Adcom 565 pre-amp back in 1991. It was my first adventure into real hi-fi. I paired it with the Adcom 545 power amp and a pair of ADS L8e speakers. I enjoyed many years of outstanding quality from my purchase.

I found the 565 to be very warm sounding with excellent sound stage presentation. Many of my friends who had the opportunity to experience my system commented very positively. Several even went out and made their own purchases of Adcom equipement. The 565 has also proven to be a well constructed. I have never had to do any real maintenance to it other than keep it clean. During a 10 year period the only updates that I made to my system were new cd player and interconnects.

Only until recently has my 565 managed to not keep up with the digital age. About three years ago I updated my entire system with Aragon / Parasound / Paradigm and Rotel. I still have my 565 and recently hooked it back up just to see how it would sound. Much to my surprise it sounded very good with only a few weaknesses.

Purchased At:   Audio Associates