Acurus RL-11 Preamplifiers

4.72/5 (29 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
Had my heart on Aragon Aurum pre amp and Aragon 8008BB amp. But my pockets weren't that deep. Turns out that Acurus is the little brother of this audio line, Mondial Designs. This is the best audio amp preamp combo for the money, build is of the best quality, and looks like a million dollars. It,s been in my system for 15 years and I never get tired of feel of those mil spec knobs. Yes it does not have a phono section so I got an out board one, no problem. The Amp I got was the Acurus A200 and for me this is the perfect tag team. You can,t beat it for the money. Come and get it Conrad Johnson!!

Submitted by Ozz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful piece of equipment. How's that for an opening line of a review? After having a bad experience with an Anthem TLP-1 (I did a review on that pre about a year ago) I decided to go a different route. I had always liked the look, feel and sound of acurus gear going back to the early-mid 90's. But..at the time didn't have the money to own any! So when a package deal came up on audiogon (the RL-11 and an A100 in brandy new condition) I jumped on them. The pre is truly glorious to look at. Even though TRUE hi-end audiophiles would scoff, I will stand by my opinion that the look and build of this pre just SCREAMS hi-end. Very smooth controls. Not a lot of extra functions on some computer processor that are just begging to suddenly stop working or never work properly to begin with. No tone controls to screw up the sound and circuit. No integrated circuits period. All discrete, all mil-spec parts. It just makes you smile to look at it. Oh..and if you are into cable swapping, it's a detachable power cable.

Now, to the most important part....the SOUND. Yes, I've read reviews where people say they find acurus gear "Harsh and grainy". Well, folks....if Harsh and grainy sounds like the RL-11.....GIVE ME MORE HARSH AND GRAIN!! Seriously, I have not found any negative characteristics in the sound. It's a pleasure to listen to. And although I'd have preferred an A200 to the A100....I find it to be high quality both soundwise and build-wise as well.

So...bottom line...if you can find one of these guys in good condition...don't question.....just BUY!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by CPTG a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
Wheither it be cars, stereo gear or women, my first choice ALWAYS disappoints me. Having stupidly ruined my SAE A14 integrated amp (I left a $25.00 Humidifier on over night and ruined all the switches/components), I auditioned and lusted after the Rotel RB 980 amp. Unfortunately, Rotel's matching pre-amp sounded so horribly bright that I ran out of the store screaming (and the pre-amp was warmed up for days!!!). Since I only wanted to purchase matching components (amp/pre-amp), I rejected the Rotel purchase completely.

By pure accident, walked into a small Hi-end dealership in San Francisco to demo the Acurus A 150 amp and spied the Acurus RL 11 (The only formal review I've seen on it was Sensible sound APR 1998) on a pedistool. It was lust at first sight!!! The unit is breathing to look and and play with---like a high end piece of modern art. Imagine a black box with five milled 'mil-spec' aluminum dials. When you pressed the volume control on the wand, the volume dial rotated to the right---cool!!!

Everything about this unit says 'Mil-spec/Hospital grade components used through-out'. Go ahead, FIND a $2,400.00 pre-amp and A/B it against my RL 11 and try and beat it---Go ahead, try!!! No pre-amp EXISTS under $1,000.00 that can match the RL 11's parts and build quality. Don't even bother looking, it is that good.

Purchased At:   California Street St

Submitted by pissillo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a great preamp. It does evrything a pre should and nothing it shouldn't. I have more money in cables than in this piece. Compared to McCormack, Plinius, Classe aand bel canto, this is the winner.Not at all lean like Acurus amps can be, neither is it bloated sounding like some tube equipment. Natural and neutral. Not the most exquisite looking eye-candy, but it performs. Equipped with the necessary stuff, no phono, but a good outboard one is better than the mediocre internal affairs that are too common anyway. This will situate itself nicely with the best amp and speakers out there.

Submitted by pissillo a Audio Enthusiast