TCC TC-750 Phono Preamps

3.5/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $50.00

* 12 volt DC operation; will work anywhere in the world
* limited lifetime defective exchange warranty
* RIAA freq response 20hz-20,000hz +/- 0.5dB, S/N ratio >85dB
* THD <0.05%, input sensitivity 3.0mV
* Nominal / max output 300mV / 1.8V
* Output impedence 200 ohms, input 47kohm /220 pF
* CE certified, nice packaging suitable for gifting
* gold-plated jacks and black anodized metal casing
* ground wire terminal; power indicator
* includes RCA cable and miniplug adaptor
* 142mm long / 73mm wide / 37mm high
* includes AC adaptor to match destination
(USA/Canada or overseas)

Submitted by jeff0616 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2013

Bottom Line:
Using TCC TC-750LC (input sensitivity knob) with a Project Carbon TT, Grado Red phono cartridge, and foam vibration pad. No hum or noise like others reported. I suspect the problem with others may be grounding between the pre-amp and TT. Audio store (Little Guys) demonstrated my new TT and cartridge on a professional pre-amp, before I brought it home, so this is my only comparison. The soundstage is not as deep as a professional pre-amp. I'm considering an upgrade before recording my vinyl, but may just keep this one. Did I say the TCC is clean and noiseless?

Submitted by fap a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
G'day all, I bought this little phono stage on generally good reports and I wanted a good phono stage based on discrete transistors, not op amps as a change to my own DIY op amp based units.

I rate the TCC TC-750 very highly except for one thing, the supplied 'switch mode' wall wart. This seriously limits the potential of the TC-750. The supplied wall wart generates audible 'prickle' in the audio output.

I have modified mine to use a pure 12 DC gel gel power supply and the difference is massive. The background 'blackness' (with battery power supply) is impressive. Highly recommended! Regards, FAP.

Submitted by morrisoj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Bottom Line:
I thought my receiver preamp was doing a reasonable job, till I listened to this unit. What a revelation! Sadly it meant I had to recopy all of my decent vinyl. Buy this unit first, then convert your vinyl.

Submitted by Kiwi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
When I looked at this MM Preamp, at this store which sells mostly parts for electronics, I said to myself, that I should try this, it should be fun! for $50.00 you can not go much wrong.

So I bought it and plug it in, Rega TT with SME III arm, and Ortofon cartridge, OM20,, SME's own RCA cable from TT to TC750 and from TC750 to Elad was carried by VDH D102III cable.
It sounded really bad, sound had no weight, extremely poor focuse and very fatigue, just two songs and I stop listening.

But left it plugged in.

Next night, 24hrs later, the sound came out of this little box was totally different from previous night, it had very good weight and sounded very well ballanced across the entire frequency spectrum without any hum or any other strange nose added.
The fact is I had never herd analog so good before and I am not being sarcastic here, I am writing this with all the seriousness.
I had, in the past NAD PP1 and PP2, Creek OBH 8 MM stage, Project Phono Box.

Among all of the above, this little inexpensive box sounded the best.
If you are not happy with its sound, then this unit is not the problem, the problem is somewherelse in your system.

Start with a good preamp, then change your power amp, do not look for power house amp, 50 to 70WPC Continious into 8 ohms is enough for most people, and if it doubles it power into 4ohms, the better.
Then get a good pair of speakers, stand mounter usually offer better sound, they disappear leaving the soundstage only, do not go after the speaker which creates "Tremendous Bass", the Bass, specially poor quality bass, will muddy the overall sound, and you would hear highs and lows mostly and very little mid-range where most of the music is. If you find it hard to believe, just go to any audio retailer and listen to both the stand mounters and floor standers, in few minutes of music listening, it may appeal to you but once you bring them home, overtime, you will be tired of their sound and find them fatigue sounding, or you will start to think about other things and not pay attention to music cuz it is not involving.
Once you got that, then start with the source, cuz now you have a system which would tell you if the source is half-decent or not.

Now this TC 750 MM Pre, is certainly more then half decent sounding, I prefer it to NAD, Creek and Project, that's how good it is.

Go buy one and try it, leave it plugged in for atleast 24hrs, and give it a litsten, in worst case you will be out of $50.00.

Submitted by Robert Neff a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
THe frequency rsponse is very poor - in spite of the "RIAA" equalization and advertised specifications - especially the signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio which does not come close to 85 decibels. It has excessive line frequency "hum" (60 Hz) that may be associated with the very cheap 12-volt power supply. However, like another rated said, for fifty bucks, what can one expect? In other words, you get what you pay for. I do not use this device for anything any more...

Atlantic Technology: