Yamaha DSP-A3090 Integrated Amplifiers

4.77/5 (35 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Submitted by Peter S. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
Good golly this is 2012....I was looking for decent speakers for my tube preamp and high current amp and came across BW 805 Matrix selling for $300 used. The owner wanted to sell everything (BW 805 Matrix, BW 805 Center speakers, Paradigm bipolars A200, and the YAMAHA DSP A3090 made in JAPAN not CHINA) for $500. I laughed at the Yamaha when I loaded it in my car. It was very heavy.

Did not really care for it but was enjoying the tube set up paired with the BW 805 Matrix bi-wired with Analysis Plus Oval 9s. Great set-up.

Got bored one Saturday night, so I said what the heck. Set-up the Yamaha with the 5 speakers and fired it up. Nothing magical for the last 2 hours until I calibrated everything right then....OOHHH my gosh...fell flat on my a**.

Distortion of .015%, hefty transformer, the size, the weight...then it occured to me this is one quality great-sounding integrated amp.

Listened to Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Laura Fygi,jazz, rock and this beast lets it all flow effortlessly and the speakers disappear. It is an unbelievable beast,

Wow, do not like the hard-wired IEC, it is 16 years old and still sounds superb. Would I keep it, of course. I have not heard the 2012 Marantz (SR7005) with state of the art chips and dips but don't really care and I do not want to spend $1500 on another receiver.

The Yamaha A3090 is 16 years old but beats many current models out there using cheap chips and dips. I'll let it sing for as long as it can then maybe look into a Marantz in the future,

Last of the great stuff of yesteryears....

Submitted by eugene a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
i bought this amp(yamaha dsp-a3090) used at Goodwill for $6.99(six dollars and ninety-nine cents). it is the most amazing amp i've had yet, i didn't know the value of it when i bought it. pleasent surprise!

Submitted by aka76 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
my system :
sony dvd ns530
yamaha 3090 amp
b&w matrix 805 main speakers
jbl scs150 speakers set

let me make it quick.i buy this amp second handed with 100% condition minus box n user manual,to replace my denon 1803 dts-es amp.why?its just i know quality but i dont have the budget,the result is..i dont believe how lucky i am n how sad i would be if i wasn't quick enough to buy this amp,$700-800 still fair,if u dont believe me,just go listen,tell u how it sounds with what cd n what dvd will not give u any good,if u have budget more than $1000,just buy Yamaha (dsp a series or ax series).below that it's up to u to choose.Yamaha amps have the best dsp,expecially the one with front effect (7-8 channel),u should try rock concert/jazz club for music n 70mm dsp for movie,than u will understand,i never turn on the dsp feature from another brand,this 3090 with all transistor power section (80 watts x 5 with only 0,015%thd),sounds excellent,as good as any top of the line japanese integrated amp.build quality n looks is excellent,weight 21kg,the best DSP sound i've ever heard,my second Dolby Digital amp,so no comment for that feature,should be excellent logically,well.. so much to say.. so little time,just read strenghts

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by royspock a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the 3090 when it first came out because I wanted AC3 decoding and at the time this was just about it trouble was I had to sell my Misson cyrus 3 to get it BIG mistake. For films great but for Hi/fi not close to the Misson I was gutted!

Purchased At:   HiFi experience Lond

Submitted by Zubair a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is one of my best buys ever and I have bought and sold many audio and video equipment. I bought this to replace my previous Yamaha receiver which was one of their entry level products. I fell in love with their products ever since. And to jump from their entry level receiver to this giant-killer is quite a leap!!!! This beauty was Yamaha's flagship product before they introduced the A1.

When I bought this home theatre amp, DD5.1 had just come out. There were not many software that came encoded with DD5.1 either. But this one was promised to be future ready and man!!! is it!!! Okay, fine, DTS emerged soon afterwards, but who needs DTS anyway???? And how many LDs or DVDs can you get hold of that offers DTS???

The Yamaha DSPA 3090 has CD, LD, 2 tapes, DVD, tuner, 2 video and phono connections. It has both optical and coaxial digital inputs for CD, LD and DVD. And this came out in 1996!!!

The sound is tremendous. I was using Bose 2.2 with this and currently have Definitive Technology's Cinema 80 connected. I have not used it with real quality speakers yet (which is a temptation I have been resisting for quite some time due to the lack of space in my apartment), and I shiver at the thought of how rich it would sound if I did that. This is the amp that has tought me to listen to music and movies without turning the bass and treble knobs or even hitting the loudness button. It can give any product a run for all its worth, whether listen to music or enjoying home cinema. I can crank up the volume as much as I like and the sound does not distort a single bit. The amp can be connected to external power amps as well if you fancy that sort of thing.

Last year when I moved from Bangladesh to here in Dubai, I considered selling it off and getting a new amp. But my brother talked me out of it. I realise now that it would have been a stupid stupid mistake.

I have just one complaint: the speaker connections are not banana plug compatible. This makes connecting cables quite difficult.

Although this product is now obsolete, if you can get your hands on one and if you are contemplating on upgrading to home theatre or your current AV reveiver then go for it with your eyes closed. You will not regret it a single bit.

Purchased At:   Singapore