Yamaha DSP A-1000 Integrated Amplifiers

4.58/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by jonskitch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
After reading this information provided by rishguru. I ended up aquiring all 3; the dsp-a1000, 2070 and 3090. All costing less than £200 on Ebay. Just wanted to see how it would compare to my M&F A5. Remember I am not ineterested in its HC - this is dated. I am only looking at the 2 channel side. The good news is that they all sounded positive. They sound was lot bigger than there watts rated (80W pc). The sound is big bold and very smooth like NAD amps - but slightly more detailed. When compared to my A5 the sq lived upto it. Out of the 3 ; the DSP-1000 is the best for audio. I will continue with further testing and keep you updated.

After further testing all of the units they go far beyond there rated power. It simply blows away my Quad 303 pre-amp and 404 power amp - not enough reserve. Audiolab 8000a, Marantz 7200 KI, Cyrus 8Vs2 with PSX and Finally Musical fidelity B1 - All these amps mentioned could not produced enough slam to satisfy my needs but however all the yammys produced earth shattering bass which was bit of a surprise - this is probably down to that titanic power supply connected via those large capacitors. Not even once the yammys sounded out of steam you could basically turn it pass 11 and it kept on going - was scared after. The sound is nice and silky smooth with good authority especially on the bass side. Next will compare with my M & F A5.

Yamaha A1000, 2070 and 3090 - which one?

The story continues with these 3 Yamaha’s that I recently acquired from eBay. All 3 Yamaha’s sounded great but I found that especially the 2070 and A1000 had even more headroom than 3090. Between 2070 and A1000 there was very little differences but I noticed A1000 was touch more refined which suited to my taste but this can be subjective. They all had similar characteristics; warm, smooth, big, bold, dark, energetic approach very like valve sound which I particular fancied .

Amps generated - front channels only

A1000 - 149 amp continuous peaked at 190 amps
A2070 - 143 amp continuous peaked at 184 amps
A3090 - 127 amp continuous peaked at 167 amps.

Current ratings are high, so in respect all 3 Yamahas should able to drive even difficult loads. Since A1000 had the biggest drive I continued with my research around this amp.

Musical Fidelity A5 versus A1000 - Battle of the titans.

Sound Quality

Both amps had huge presentation that could fill a medium to large room. Although both amps
had immense drive but their sound properties were some what quite different. The A5 was more open but less wide and had solid state feel While the A1000 was more neutral and natural which leaned more towards a tube like feel. The A1000 had more drive in low frequencies without masking mids and highs. The A5 was quite even throughout the spectrum but occasionally lost focus on highs - strange but through. The Yamaha felt more relaxing and pleasing to the ears and yet it was opposite with A5. However they both performed well in all types of music and handled complex pieces with ease. The timing, dynamics, and clarity on both amps were Excellent - I could not separate them. My heart goes towards Yamaha because it had more civil and sensible approach.

Power and drive

The A5 (250 watts per channel) on paper seemed a lot more powerful than A1000(80 watts per channel) but this wasn’t the case in reality. I had this funny feeling that Yamaha only based this calculation on average rating but the huge one box solution had lot more muscle under that bonnet. My guess would be that A1000 was at least hitting in the peaks of around 160 watts per channel and wasn’t far behind the A5. I still felt that the bass was deeper, tighter and fuller on A1000 than the A5 but on the other hand the A5 had the extra drive which put A1000 to its limits. Nonetheless, the Yamaha had enough guts and reserve to even challenge the mighty A5 in the power department. The A5 carries the extra current and charge which beats the A1000 in this area but not by much.

Damping factor under test

A5 - better than 130
A1000 - better than 137

Technology

A5 is a pure audio amp that is based on dual mono technology. A clever design.
A1000 is overly engineered AV amp that performs quite well with both audio and AV.

Conclusion

Both amps performed well in their own rights. But however Yamaha A-1000 will never be recognised as a true audio amp as the product was purely designed for HC. The logo “AV” will put many audiophiles’ off and in no way would have this at the heart of the centre. For mass market this would be an ideal amp as this would cream many sub £1000 (audiophile standard) amps. On eBay this can be picked up for merely Rs5000. Highly recommended.

Equipments used:

Marantz CD94 mkII
Jamo oriel speakers
kimber speaker cables
Wireworld interconnects
Box standard power cable (A5) as A1000 is equipped with captive power lead.

Submitted by tontdoch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I use the Yamaha DSP A1000 as a two-channel amp in my analogue system - two channel only: all equalisation and processing bypassed.

It is fed into a pair of B&W DM302s and I use a Nakamichi 1000 Tri-Tracer cassette jobby, Tandberg 9100x reel-to-reel, B&O 1600 turntable, TASCAM 414 portastudio and the external soundcard output from my laptop.

This set-up is exactly what I was looking for to listen to the multitude of analogue sources my father left me as well as listening to some cassette wonders I haven't seen on any other format.

I also use it to master multi-track analogue demos I record for local bands then master onto my laptop using Goldwave.

The sound with this setup is nicely balanced. As it is almost purely for analogue sources and the 302s have a limited but gutsy perfomance, it can still rock the socks off the Quad 33 pre and 405 power set-up I have for emergencies (they're a bit old). The 302s are only limited in the bass but the doped paper 5inch woofer, doped fabric tweeter and the mounting of the woofer to the rear baffle and the Prism structure of the inside rear baffle ensure a clean, solid sound with very good sensitivity.

As my main system uses a modern Yamaha AV receiver, Limit Pink-Triangle tuned dvd and Tannoy 611s, the DSPA1000 system is a perfect foil to get mix correct, then the main "digital" sytem is used to ensure the final CD master is correctly balanced.

The DSP A1000 functions as a nicely-priced two channel amp - I got mine for £30 on ebay in 2007...

I see it as a good mid-end bargain used as a two-channel amp and a better substitute for the myriad of cheap powered "monitors" to be had for home recording.

My "analogue" system cost a total of £350 as well a bit of personal time cleaning stylii and demagnetising tape heads.

If you see a working example on eBay, keep an eye on it and don't spend more than £75.

Submitted by Russell Clinton a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
The doctor that my parents bought their new house from did not want it. I brought it back to my apartment and hooked it up. It sounds a little crisper than the Onkyo I was useing and it had an extra two channels for the 2 spare speakers I had stored in my closet. The extra speakers really sounded great. This is a fine piece of work.

Submitted by Kaloyan Machinow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
This amp I find great in construction-as I'm an audio engeneer and have build about 4-6 hidh end amps and this is the best AV amp I've ever seen around.
It has a powerfull transformer and 22000uF caps for the main three channels and 8200uF for the surr. channels-four.
Onkyo vaunted their new 5 ch. amp with 22000uF,and this one haves them for only 3 channels-contemporary Yamaha amps have even more joules!The supply is about +/- 46V for the main and +/-28 for surr.-this is about 80W*3 +25W*4 at 8 ohms loads.The DSP is well-sounding,and the power amp sounds well,too-I couldn't catch a difference with my high-end one at first.As DVD's here are not many-about 100 movies,I have no source for true multi-channel sound and Pro-logic/Movie Theater is the best surrond sound engine for me,although I do not like them as other DSP modes.
This amp is great and I think it will be adequate for me for at least 2 years more /although it's already on 10!/and I bought it very cheapy,which is great!

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good power and sound for its day! Easy to set up and fun to use. A lot of sound fields that I never used after the first year.

Purchased At:   Risley's