Yamaha AX-592 Integrated Amplifiers

4.57/5 (35 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Submitted by Zoro'sZipper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've waited 14 years to comment on my AX-592. I purposely bought it for the sizable transformer, which I believed would mean longevity. I was right, its a rock. I think it will thump for another 14 easy.
I was never blown away by the sound character. It doesn't have that brilliant shimmer in the mid and upper highs that can create that live stage effect. But it also doesn't have the accompanying brittle crashing tones that can be so tiring after time. In fact, the human ear naturally reduces sensitivity to those crackling, glass breaking tones after even a short exposure. So Yamaha was smart in softening the upper registers by design. I can listen to this amp very loud for 3, 4, 5 hours straight. Till the neighbors can't take it.
I use a fairly inexpensove equalizer to fine tune the sound and it really is a marvel played through my 1995 Infinity Kappa 5.1s. The Direct in has minimal effect usually, imo, but I use it for live accoustic music. The guitar and pianos are just a bit more crisp and full. Very neat.
Finally, it looks as tough as it is built. Sometimes when I'm listening to music, I stare at its simple black elegance with lust. I'll never let you go...

Submitted by twc644 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
Just got this on Ebay.Owner all of less than 1 week lol ! Very nice Integrated for a great price.It suprisingly produces a nice clean warm sound from class B..It's chock full of good Elna and Nichicon capacitors-rare in this price range especially from equipment this day.Has robust speaker terminals,impedance switch,tone controls,a+b speaker switch,contoured loudness pot,140 watts for both channels,and a honker transformer thats uber quiet ! Very nice !

The bass is good considering this has two 12000uf power caps,then a couple of 3300uf caps further down the circuit path.Not a lot but enough to get you there bass wise.Mids are Yamaha smooth,treble is nice and clean where one can hear the distinction of symbles instead of a constant distorted noise.

The chassis is also a nice touch for those like me that dig into the circuits-underneath the circuit boards is an extra plastic frame,then of course the bottom plate of the chassis.Exceptional build quality that i'm not use too this day and age.This review is from 2009 and the Yammy is from 1998.

I've begun replacing a lot of the 11 year old capacitors with more current good quality offerings.Sounds even better than it's original condition and by doing this i'm extending the life of the component.It's a safe precaution I take with any older equipment but the ax592 responded very well to the new capacitors.So much so I'm constantly looking forward to using it.

I doubt you'll find this kind of build quality in any current offerings of similar products in the $500-$600 dollar price range.The ax592 is not audiophile quality or high end equipment but just darn good bang for the buck STUFF THAT SOUNDS EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD !

I wonder if Yamaha made a current version around the same price if it would exceed this remarkable amp.I highly recommend anyone to buy one if it can be found in good condition.This one stays with me till it dies or when my time to wear a dirt blanket happens.

Submitted by corycory a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Awesome piece of equipment!!!!!!

I had a Kenwood integrated amp from 1980-1985 then Los Angeles had an earthquake and I lost my amp. For fifteen years I was looking for something to replace my amp. I tried make of stereo possible nothing matched my amp.

Then I made the biggest mistake of my life I purchased a Kenwood Surround Sound Reciever top of the line the unit drove me nuts. I hit every store asking the sales rep does any of the audio companies make an integrated amp two channel and I was told no. So I started hitting the internet looking and I discovered that Yamaha still made one. I ran to my local Good Guys one rep tells me we don't carry it. I went to another Good Guys the amp was in the furniture dept the sales rep had no idea what the features were on the amp nor could he explain the subsonic filter on the amp.

This amp is the greatest: the sound is awesome. I want another one!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Orlando Muñoz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great amp that integrates beautifully with my KEF Q65's. I listen to all kinds of music, and this amp has the quality it needs for reproducing the most detailed sounds on classical music, and the power to handle the most brutal Black Metal bands like Immortal and Emperor.

I chose this amp (among other things) because of its high dampening factor, essential to reproduce the thumps of Immortal double drums (up to 10 beats a second!), while still mantaining control over the speakers to reproduce - to the utmost detail - all the work going on the distorted bass and guitar, vocals and cymbals. This kind of sound is very demanding to the power suply and the dampening circuit. The amp has proven over these years that he can reproduce with ease even the most brutal sounds of the most brutal band. In fact I never used it over 10 o'clock on the volume.

On the other hand, this amp is also extremely detailed and crisp when it comes to reproducing music like Dire Straits Communiquè "Private Investigations", where you can hear everything, from Mark Knopfler's fingers sliding over the guitar chords, to the drummer's breath. Playing classical music is also a joy, specially music with piano or harpsichord, that gets reproduced with great detail and fidelity. I have a CD of music from Cuba, the same songs I heard on bars and restaurants (unplugged) when I went there, and the sound is exactly the same: if I close my eyes it seems I'm still there. Of course, I always use the pure direct and CD direct settings. The bass / trebble / balance / loudness aren't necessary anyway.

The only flaw on this amp was the speaker terminals: they where of a type that only allowed for bare wire insertion, and made almost impossible to bi-wire with 6AWG wire. I removed the terminals (after warranty expiration) and replaced them with a new block made of 8 gold plated binding posts, ready to bi-wire. This mod and the gold plated banana plugs made a lot of difference, expanding the sound both in the low frequencies and the high frequencies.

I think the best way to express the way I feel about this amp is that I can listen to it all day long, with any type of music without ever getting tired. And what can I say about the price? Its a killer!

I'm glad that Yamaha made the DSP E800 (SL+C+SR), so that I can still use this amp in my new home cinema setup (L+R), because it would be very difficult for me to give up this amp for an integrated A/V amp.

Even with the "flaw" I still give it 5 stars because the "flaw" only applies (applied?) to countries inside the EEC.

My setup:
Yamaha AX592 Amp
Panasonic DVD RA61 DVD (replaced my Denon DCD-735)
Yamaha KX580-SE Deck

Purchased At:   $350

Submitted by Chris Carroll a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use my Yamaha AX-592 to drive 5 pairs speakers in my home. It does a terrific job at driving a whole house system. It also sounds excellent driving a 3 way speaker system in my primary listening room made up of PSB alpha's and a PSB subsonic powered sub. This amp reproduces acoustic recordings as if they were live.

Purchased At:   Tweeter