Yamaha AX-500 Integrated Amplifiers

Stereo Amplifier

Submitted by twc644 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Bottom Line:
This review is for the ax 700 110 watt amp.It's from 1986.It was chock full of Elnas and some Blackgate capacitors in stock form. I replaced every electrolytic cap in it with Panasonic fc/fm,Nichicon Muse KZ,Elna Silmic II,Panny t-up, etc... since they were 27+ years old and .Man,this is truly one beautiful sounding integrated amp that staying with me permanently. It drives two pairs of 8 ohm modified Polk Audio bookshelf speakers without breaking a sweat which i'm sure is dipping below 4 ohms

I've had other Yamaha integrateds in the past that I loved but this one tops the list.Yamaha list these amps as "natural sound" in their advertisements and with reason ! A great feature on most Yamaha equipment is the variable loudness potentiometer vs. just an on/off switch.

Also,this amp has a "cd direct" switch which is great as it bypasses some of the preamp circuits signal path components.Strange, due to the fact the tone controls still work in this mode but it cuts outs the l/r balance pot.It adds slightly more air to the sound.Very faint but noticeable.

The amp puts out a strong signal with solid bass and very nice but not harsh treble.What I really love is the midrange it exudes in spades that's very clean.I mainly use it for tv,I listen to Pandora thru it all the time, and of course burnt cd's and sounds wonderful.

Listening to smooth jazz is a match made in heaven.It really does wonders with clarity of the instruments and separation with this genre.Sometimes at the end of a blu ray when the music starts up I'm in awe. My only regret is not having the funds to purchase one of their new amps for comparison.If you can find one used I highly recommend it to anyone who is a music lover.Out of all my audio equipment this one is my favorite.

Submitted by fad3d a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought this on second hand for 100 bucks and could not be happier to get real natural sound with low noise amp.This classic amplifier manufactured by Yamaha has very high power delivering to speakers that could burn any expensive ones (be careful with power)

I am very pleasured to have one because i can't think about getting better sound than this one.
In addition,classic Yamaha design makes it looking very sexy.

And who the hell needs 7.1 or SPIDF O/I today?;)

Pros:
1.High power (85 watt RMS) 140 watt for 8 oHms
2.Low noise (100 dB SNR)
3.Classic design by Yamaha

Cons:
None

Submitted by ChuckBlack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
I love this amp! Combined with my NS-10m Pro's I couldn't be happier.

Pro's
The loudness knob adjusts for a really warm sound.

Con's
I wish I had two of them.

Submitted by bgclarke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amp new in 1989 along with a TX-500 tuner. It has been a solid performer for the last 13 years, and the only problem to date has been with the MM/MC phono switch sticking.

Purchased At:   MusicStop

Submitted by Ernie Jajan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bought the amplifier in 1990 ($350) and have had excellent results with it, great sound, very low noise, very flexible, totally stable and rugged - takes a full power short circuit in stride. Have compared it with substantially more expensive amps but have decided against upgrading since it actually sounds so good. In combination with my old Maggies (MG-IA) it has a very musical and at times (depending on source) incredibly realistic sound.

Sennheiser: