VTL IT-85 Integrated Amplifiers

4.25/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

85 watt per channel tube integrated amp. Five line level inputs. Headphone output and tape loop. Remote control included.

Submitted by Joe France a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous less-than-enthusiastic review of the VTL integrated. I had a chance today to listen to it again, but with different speakers and CD player. The result was dramatically different. In my previous review, I had suggested that the sound I discerned from the VTL (which was very much solid state-like and anonymous not suggestive of tubes) could have been due at least in some measure to the speakers (Joseph) and source (Adcom CD player). I was right. Listening today with the truly spectacular JMLabs MimiUtopias and the very, very impressive little Devore Gibbons (half the price) I had a truer experience of what VTL is all about. The sound was never less than engaging, often exciting, and at times truly visceral. It was very easy to listen to, and I felt I was in a concert environment. Despite the fact that this was an impromptu listening sessions (since I really came to schedule another session with the Rogue Tempest Magnum) and the recording was not the best, the VTL created a memorable soundstage-- particularly with the Devore speakers. Wow. I am still thinking about it. And wondering how it would sound with the bigger Devore Gibbon 8 that 6mooms.com gave a product of the year award to; really special speakers. By the way, the CD source was Musical Fidelity TriVista, and that added to the experience as well. VTL, you get five stars now to make up for the 3 last time. The balance of about four is about right. But I wish I could demo this at home for about a month!!!

Purchased At:   Sound by Singer

Submitted by SDaigneault a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this integrated. I use Martin Logan Aerius i, and replaced my old integrated (NAD 340C) with the VTL IT 85. The change was huge. I mean, HUGE. So much more musical, and the sound so much more open, and transparent, yet full and rich. This is clearly a tubed product. I auditioned this integrated vs. the new Ayre integrated (AX-7), and I thought the VTL won hands down. The Ayre was thin sounding, and polite. The VTL, dramatic and emotional. I paid full price, and believe this to be a great bargain. For the music I have in my apartment, I would pay retail again for this piece. (and I don't make a lot of money!!)

PLUS, I can upgrade my tubes, and get a significant improvement later on down the line. (Although, honestly, I haven't really felt like I needed to improve the sound... ), AND, if I ever want to biamp, I can do that easily with an ST85. They are gain matched, and meant to be paired together. The improvement from biamping is supposed to be great.

So far, I have no incling to do either of the two upgrades, but it's nice to know that I have a path to follow, once I want to improve the sound.

This is a real bargain for a tubed piece. You get a tubed amp (ST85) matched with a tubed preamp (2.5), all for 2.5K. Awesome! THANKS VTL!

btw, I LOVE the way it looks... retro industrial. heavy and well built!

Purchased At:   Soundworks, MD

Submitted by ben garland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is on the vtl it 85 integrated amp like to base my reviews on short term listening,not long term ownership i believe any audio you own 5 years ,you of course are going to like it with that said here is my review on the vtl it 85 tube integrated amp,this amp offers a lot of features and benefits in it price range(new retail is $2500 ) I have seen it used on net for $1498- $1850,anyone who tells you this does not sound like a tube amp is crazy ! this sounds like any other good vtl tube amp,it has lots of power and lots of bass for a tube amp,i owned several int amps before krell 300i,mac 6450, plinius 8150 in solid state amps and jolida 502b,cj int amp,and even audio research int amp ,i must say the vtl performed as well as any of these amps and much better than the jolida,the c.j. the krell and the mac,while it is not the best amp i ever heard it would not put shame on any owner,the bass is tight the treble is airy-(not as good on the high end as the cj or arc),but quiet pleasant to listen to. And in no way sterile ,i tried it with klipsch horns and smaller klipsch speakers ,also tried it with maggies and it perfomed well with the maggies and klipsch .as for features how many tube integrated amps do you know that offer ,remote,processor loop,subwoofer out all with the flip of a switch? My summary is this if you are looking for a good integrated amp with tube sound in the $1500-$2000 range this vtl is it. It offers as much for the money as any amp does.

Submitted by Joe Frances a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
Always curious about new integrated tube amps, I went to Park Audio to audition the VTL IT-85 that was noted in Listener and Stereophile. I was expecting something interesting-- a high output tube integrated at a very fair price. I listened to classical vocal and instumental; and jazz for about an hour. The VTL was paired with Joseph tower speakers and an Adcom CD player. I really don't know what aspect of the set up led me to the conclusion that it created a very competent but annonymous sound. I mean it was good, but didn't reveal any new information on my test CDs (the Audio Research and Anthem units have incredible "hang time" for choral music and resonance, CJ and Copland give a mellow and natural tone and you can hear really make out the words in choruses that are muted on ss equip). The VTL sounded like good solid state equipment, with no tube qualities. OK-- sort of holographic, and true to timber, but a somewhat fatiguing, I guess and bright. It didn't sound special, but it could play pretty loud. I suspected the CD player, and maybe the speakers, which don't have the bass capability of my Meadowlark Shearwaters. But those are the preferred speakers. All in all not bad, but the sound is not going to sell you on the logic of vacuum tubes.

Atlantic Technology: