Technics SU-V8X Integrated Amplifiers

Technics SU- V8X 1983 - 1985

[*]Computer Drive New Class A
[*]Syncro Bias
[*]4 x 8200uf low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) electrolytic capacitors
[*]Power Transformer with OFC wire in a case of heavy magnetic sheild of special resin to reduce vibration
[*]High Quality Source Straight DC

Specs:
[*]Power Output: 150 w (6ohm) 0.005 %
120 w (8ohm) 0.003 %
[*]Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.002% (20Hz ~ 20Khz, rated output -3dB)
[*]Power bandwidth: 5Hz ~ 100kHz (THD, 0.002%, 8ohm)
[*]Dimensions: 430w 141.6h 380d
Weight: 12.8 kg
Power: 670w

Submitted by Bo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought this amp in Belgium in 1986 and have never considered anything else. Fantastic clean power with a beautiful sound. Replaced a Marantz that I loved too, but like this better!

Submitted by final a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just picked up one of these off ebay for $220.00. I once owned its smaller brother the SU-V6X from new and used to run it with a pair of B&W DM1400's and prior to that Dali 4 and Technics SBX700A. Since then I have had Final Electrostats 0.3, Magneplanar 1.6 QR and Mission E80 5.1, and have run Denon POAS10 monoblocks, and a Nad pre power combo C162, C272, and finally a Cambridge 640R. I am currently running Martin Logan Source through an Arcam RDAC.
This Technics amp is astonishing! Man is it fast! I knew that electrostats were fast but I have never heard anything like this until I bought this amp. But speed is not its only strength. I find that I can listen to music for hours and not because it is flat and lifeless but because it is just so right sounding that my mind stops analyzing the sound and just accepts it. I have spent a number of nights not wanting to go to sleep because I can't wait to hear the next songs individual expression as faithfully rendered through this amp and speakers.
There is a fluidity that is just so musical and yet dynamic and lifelike. Instruments and voices are full bodied but not bloated and there is plenty of emotional content and expression.
Imaging and soundstaging is proportionate front to back and laterally, with space around instruments and in the case of orchestral works individual instruments popping out amongst the masses of strings and other instruments. This amp on these speakers provide spatial details of the recording venues which adds to the realism of the performance and with everything in unison combines for a toe tapping experience and the feeling that you've just been a part of something special.
I am really satisfied with my purchase when combined with the highly resolving Martin Logan Source and Arcam RDAC they bring out the best in each other and at $220.00 I am a very happy camper.
I recently had a friend over who used to be big into hifi as an enthusiast and his reaction was "magic" and a great big grin.
I can't say enough good things about this amp! and I am very hard to please.
If you get a chance to have a listen to one on a highly resolving pair of speakers don't pass it up, you might just get a surprise.

Submitted by TechnicsNewA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amp about 1 year ago from ebay for $307AU. Considering the price, i paid nothing would match it at that price.

For a mid 80s amp, it has some interesting features such as Low-frequency and High-frequency turnover selectors. Straight DC by passes the Tone Controls while Via tone, u can adjust the tone controls.

The clarity, soundstage and imaging are amazing. It has lots of clean power. The phono also is excellent, and revived my interest in vinyl once again. If you are able to get one for a good price, i dont think you would be disappointed.