Sumiko Primare I30 Integrated Amplifiers

Like its award-winning predecessor, the A30.1, the I30 integrated amplifier has been created to answer emphatically two design challenges: purity in signal transfer and clean distortion-free amplification. For the I30, Primare has re-evaluated the A30.1, changing components where necessary to improve a class-leading design.
  • Output power: 2x100 W/8 , 2x180 W/4
  • Analog inputs: 2 XLR (L&R), 4 RCA (L&R)
  • Analog record output: 1 RCA (L&R)
  • Pre Out: 1 RCA (L&R)
  • Color option: Black, Titanium

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Leonardo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I think Primare i30 is the best amplifier in this range price.
    I´m sure that it works perfect with PROAC speakers.
    And great slow ecay is correct bass, tight but not wrong. Its exceptional clarity is fantastic and emotional, neutral and control at all kind of songs.
    It isn´t cheap but is great amplifier one.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by fricc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
    This is a fantastic Integrated Amplifier.

I owned a very nice Krell KAV-300iL, which a few months ago started sounding strange (after six years of honorable service). I decided to send it for repair and asked Magnolia Hi-Fi (the store I purchased it from) to help me out with that. They have been very kind and while taking care of the Krell gave me a substitution amplifier, the Primare I30.

I didn't know the Primare I30, and I didn't pay much attention to it at the beginning, I attributed the nice sound to the fact that my Krell started sounding bad because it was broken. The repair took longer than I thought (Krell and Magnolia messed up), so I got to keep the Primare I30 for about two months.

The I30 has a very sweet voice, a solid and authoritative bass and exceptional clarity. Instruments stand out very clearly against a very deep sound stage and listening fatigue is virtually nil. It is amazing how much detail can be heard at low listening volumes, with this ampli you don't need to play loud to hear better...

When the Krell came back I was very happy, it sounded great as I remembered it. But... I was really amazed to find out that the Primare sounds better. I was so surprised that I spent a couple of weeks comparing them side by side, switching around cables and listening to lots of music.

The Primare and the Krell are both very solid in the lower part of the spectrum, the Primare sounds more involving drums and bass, the Krell's highs are very detailed and quite forward, not to the point of being bright though. The Primare's high frequencies are definitively less forward, but they're all there, and very detailed.

But the real difference is in the voices and the mid highs. The Primare has an angel voice. I couldn't point out a real defect in the Krell, but I definitively preferred the sound of the Primare hands down.

After two weeks of struggle I decided to keep the Primare and sold the Krell, and I'm very happy of my decision.

Submitted by bach1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
    I bought my Primare I30 in February 2008 as part of a new system that replaced my faithful but aging (and much cheaper) Linn Classik. I auditioned the I30 using the speakers I owned at the time, a pair of Aerial Acoustics 5B monitors. I always enjoyed the Aerials but thought them somewhat laid back. I was amazed by the difference the Primare I30 made - the speakers opened up so dramatically that - to borrow a cliche - the instruments and vocalists suddenly moved right into the room with me. Part of the difference is the Primare's higher power output - 100 watts per channel vs about 33 for the Linn. The rest of the difference seems to arise from a lower noise floor and amuch higher damping factor. The Primare I30 augmented the Aerial 5Bs' smoothness and detail with a degree of power, authority and control I had never heard before. The I30 offers smooth, extended highs, a beautifully detailed, musical and natural midrange and extremely musical and extended treble with superb transient response. It is also beautifully designed, solidly constructed and a pleasure to use. I auditioned it with a wide range of music (baroque and classical to jazz vocals and soft rock - just about everything except heavy metal and rap) and it sounded wonderful with all of it. Not cheap but an excellent value. I had to dig deep to pay for it but have no regrets.

Purchased At:   Audio Connection

Submitted by nikosidis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
    The component that have stayed with me, and I have build my system on is the Primare universal player DVD30. I have tried a lot of ampelifiers, and speakes with that player, and must say that it all worked well.
    After lots of testing and reading, I had to try Primare I30. And guess what it's what I been looking for.
    Of cause theese two componentes match perfect, in it's own way. You can say that what you get when you select player, and amp from the same manufacturer is kind of what is their home sound.
    That said, of cause you can find your own match with different manufacturers, but it makes the job a little more difficult.

Primare I30 is a amp.. that might not impress at first listen, but this beast realy grows on you. Its like primare dont make any hocus pocus with their products. Expept for the top end, that is a little on the warm side. It's so many hi-fi companys that try to impress in some way, but nutralness is the one that will last!!
    Before this amp I had a tube amp from copland. And yes it's things with that amp that I miss, but on the whole I30 is a much more complete listen.

To say something about the sound, I would put the distrotion free sound first.
    This is what I call transparency. This amp is dead quiet. It plays so clean, it's a joy to hear. This amp is also a champion to produce a perfect center, and a very deep soundstage. I heard amps produce bigger sound, but this is kind of mather of taste. The bass is very good, and powerfull. You can find amps to the price that can better the bass performance a little, but not much. The middle range is very smoth, just like velvet. Voices is so natural that it's hard to do it better. Treble is also very good. But as said before its a little warm in the high freq..This can make it a little harder to heard the difference in the highest guitar strings (b and e string). Guitar string sounds very thick, with lots of attack. This is also a matter of taste. This makes this amp..very enjoyable to listen to. That is the reason most recordings sound so nice.

If you like the sound of this amp. If will pay a lot to better it.
    It's not for everyone. But I think you will make a mistake not to listen to it, if you are in for something in this pricerange.

My setup is source: Primare DVD30, Amp: Primare I30, Speakers: Proac recponce D25, Sub..REL stadium III

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by michaelparin@hotmail.com a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
    I have had the I30 for approx 2 weeks now. Wow! what a sound ! The I30 replaces a low end Marantz 50 w integrated-No competition obviously, but it now sounds like all my CD's have been converted to SACD format! The clarity is stunning, the sound stage positively HUGE and Deep and the amp has a rock solid grip on the Bass. I did audition a Musical Fidelity A5 Amp and was left feeling UNDERwhelmed by the sound it produced. The Primare was the clear winner by a mile. The only thing which has taken a while to get used to,is that nothing much happens sonically below 40-45 on the volume display (0-79),but crank it up to 50, and a huge smile just appears on my face as I am swallowed by a sound so stunning, it makes me want to give up my job, just so I can listen 24/7!!!
    Source: Denon 2910 DVD player
    Speakers : VAF DC7 Floorstanders

Purchased At:   Sound & Vision Studi

can primare i30 match proac d15

i like to buy a new primare i30 to match my proac d15 speaker,but my living room is about 700 sg feet,can primare have power to punch the bass? my cd player is marantz 6000 and cable is all siltech, now i match my proac is using amplifon tube valve wt30ii,but the sound i don`t like it,cause the valv ... Read More »

Arcam FMJ A32 -vs- Primare I30 (updated A30.1)

Any pros, cons, recommendations regarding the Arcam FMJ A32 or the Primare I30 (A30.1) integrated amp? I'm looking for some feedback regarding audio performance, ample power, build quality, long term reliability. They would be used to drive a pair of Vienna Acoustic Mozart speakers (6 ohms and 90 ... Read More »

Primare i30 (integrated amplifier)

The successor to the Primare integrated amplifier A30.1 (in some countries 301?) is a very worthwhile amplifier to check out and include on this site. The name is Primare i30 and it has had some minor improvements to the already great sounding a30.1, looks and size are the same - though the i30 can ... Read More »

MS 1400W: