Sony TA-F707ES Integrated Amplifiers

90 Watt Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by amrik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow! What build quality and performance. Puts to shame many of those mega-kilobuck integrateds from so called high-end companies (you know which ones). This amp can drive pretty much any speaker with ease and produce beautiful music at that. I have it hooked to B&W 602 S2 and the sound is just superb. Deep solid bass notes and the vocals are pristine. Does get a bit warm but that may be due to its bias current which probably runs it in Class A for the first few watts. I am dissapointed that Sony chose not to market integrated amps in USA anymore. They can make a killer product. Fantastic value at its price point- a real bargain if you can pick it up for about $600 used. Highly recommended. Caution: No surround sound gimmicks- just pure 2-channel stereo reproduction.

Purchased At:   dealer, Ohio

Submitted by Nenad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use it with Altec Model Seven from the late seventies ,
supported by Elcaset and reel-to-reel, from digital
sources dat and cd are connected and everything sounds
with an almost infinite power , the speakers are really adequate for that power and my personal reference on it
is Santana Abraxas , really amazing , especially with
flat tone control .

Submitted by Steve B a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I sure wish Sony would pump out quality like this on a regular basis. Maybe that would give them a decent reputation in the US market. It seems that Sony sells their better low and mid-fi components only outside the US, as if those consumers are more savy (and maybe they are right!). What the hell do they think they are doing? I understand the bad reputation received as a direct result of the DE series commonly found at mass consumer electronics depots.

So enough of the Sony rant. Besides, the 707 always was high-end for Sony. As far as I can tell, it represented the second most expensive stereo integrated amp offered by Sony for several consecutive years in the mid 90's.

Here are a few things I love about my TA-F707ES:

- EVERY switch in the analog chain is a physical switch; not one of them uses an IC to do the work.
- Their is an electronic source switching panel with small green leds above the active source selection. Although that design implies that an IC would be performing this switching, that is not the case. This contact switch set actually controls a internal, motorized, source selector which once again performs a physical contact switch between source inputs. Now that is cool in my book.
- You don't have to turn it on to use it as a record out selector switch for other connected components! That is handy for me because I like using multiple amp/speaker combinations with the same source components. Running things to this component first, allows me to cold switch and replicate the signal to 3 and 4 other destinations simultaneously. That reduces the overall number of interconnects while retaining amazing systems integration and flexibility.
- It just 'sounds' better than my Denon 5700, and the Denon is no slouch. That Denon has AL24 processing along with the finest Burr-Brown DACS, and when I play CDs through the Denon, I use only digital connects from my CD player. In my opinion, that should more than give the 5700 an edge. The poor 707 has to make due with the low end DAC output straight from the CD player. It took me a while to conclude that I prefer the 707's sound to that of the 5700. I think it was the mental barrier created by the hugh price difference of these units (I paid 2000 for the 5700).
- The attenuator has never (and I expect never will) be affected by dust build-up. My older Sony receiver (not a DE) had a nasty habit of producing a scratching sound when adjusting the volume, but was otherwise nice enough.
- This 90watts per channel into 8ohm stereo amp has massive transformers, which I think account for most of the 43+ pounds. If weight is an indicator of quality, this thing has some to spare.

I think my only real gripe is that there is no pre-amp inputs to be found. That limits what I might do with this beast in the future. :(

I can't wait to see how this thing does with the new Magnepan MMG's I just ordered! The MMG's will be an upgrade from the current B&W 601's.

Anybody know where I can find another of these beauties in new condition? If so, email me!

Sony, please make more of this sort of component...or else! (It's your head.)

I kinda hate giving anything 5/5. In all too many cases, that sends the 'its perfect' message. I don't know of any 'perfect' device. Nevertheless, I must jump off the 5/5 bridge since everyone else is doing it! :P

Selah.

Submitted by Wesley Stehlik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
Amp is hooked up to a pair of Klipsch KLF 30 hornes. Bass and treble are set at 0 settings. This amp is very clean and natural, very easy to listen too. Alot of bang for the buck........

Submitted by mick darcey a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
for the money and size this amp exceeds my expectations. connectedto bang beovox and celestion subwoofer. i have a small room and not
much for audio cabinetry. the sound is accurate. the red glowing
mosfets are real cool also.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile