Simaudio Moon i-5
Description: Integrated Amplifier w/ Remote

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought one. Nice amp and I loved it.

However, I had a problem with it, it got real hot, too hot too touch. I sent it back to the local distributor (Australia) and they could not repair the problem. I talked direct to Sim Audio in Canada several times over a few months and I was unhappy with the support. My choices were, send it back to us in Canada ($1000 cost, at my expense) and we will see if we can repair it. No Promises!. In fact, they said the amp was discontinued and they had few parts. Or we can sell you the latest model for 2k, a good price, but why would I want buy another? Especially as I am getting NO support with the current one.

The amp supposedly had a 10 year warranty, I had the unit for just under 4 years. I would expect more for an amp that retails for 7k in Australia.

Summary.
Amp great, when its working. Support poor!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by chirskent a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
I just purchased a moon audio I-5 from a friend as I’m building a secondary system. I hooked up to my KEF reference 3.2 and Orelle evo2 CD player The moon audio I-5 is quite a talented amplifier. The sound in upper range is detailed and the bass is tuneful and well controlled. I was quite impressed by the precision and quality of acoustic material. Instruments where detailed and accurate while still maintaining a linear response. Many amplifiers are a tad bit bright to perceive and achieve better detail however this was not apparent in the I-5. Vocals while playing Diana K showed a real presence in purity with very little coloration in sound. The soundstage was open and imaging was quite superb you could feel Eric Clapton’s guitar in Layla played with such precision and dimension. A true sign of a good amplifier.

I would recommend this integrated to anyone who listens to vast majority of music and just wants an overall good performer. I just wanted something that could at least come close to my primary system which consists of Orelle products and to a certain degree it achieved its goal. It may not be as transparent and articulate as my Orelle integrated however for the price(1800cdn) that I paid for my I-5 I can’t complain.

Purchased At:   From friend

Submitted by sdgjkc1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
Because I am new to this forum, I have not the slightest idea how to start a new review on a product not listed - in this case the Moon i3 intergrated amplifier.

I can't say enough good about this product. I researched this purchase along with other products (see below along with KARAN Acoustics i180) for nearly one year - excessive maybe, but I don't have $1,660 skins to plop down every week so I put a lot of thought into this purcahse.

I could not be happier. The bass is strong but not bloomy or opressive, the midrange is natural and comfortable, the highs are detailed and pleasent. The integrated handles my rather eclectic musical interests (Asleep At the Wheel to Steve Roach to Goreki's Symphony Sorrowful Songs and all styles in-between) with a delicate control and finesse I am not accustomed to. I simply set the listening level, sit back and lavish in the music.

My listening area is nearly the ideal, the "magic triangle" (isosceles triangle) and the imaging is wonderful. If one were concerned with "only" 100 watts RMS into 8 ohms, let me say something. Watts are importnat, but also look at the power supply. If the power supply is deficient all the watts in the world are not going to help. This integrated amplifier will produce SPLs in excess of what is wise (with efficient speakers). My wife and teenagers all complain about my listening into the wee hours of the morning (imagine teenages saying the music is too loud - heehee).

I enjoy this product so much I plan on purchasing the Sim Audio Moon Eclispe CD player and then I'll look at upgrading my speakers - but as it stands now I may not need to. Happy listening ......

Purchased At:   Primus Audio Pleasur

Submitted by ggolub a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
All I can say this is a marvelous amp. It produces very clean, open but not analytical sound. Soundstage is holographic.
In a beginning I was going to buy i-3. Once I auditioned that - I could not resist. It worse it.
70 watt per channel is more than enough for me.
I highely recommend it.

Purchased At:   delve audio

Submitted by Rainy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a amazing amp, before I buy it, I compared it with Carry Audio's tube integrated SLI-80 Signature amp side by side, some area I5 even sounded better, and it do sound like a tube amp!But carry sounded better on piano, and warmer than I5.

Purchased At:   Private sale