Sansui AU-7900 Integrated Amplifiers

4.33/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

75 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1973-1974)

Submitted by Ralph a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2017

Bottom Line:
The Sansui AU7900 integrated amp is a great sounding machine. I bought mine new in the summer 1977 along with a TU 7900 a Sansui SR-525turntable and a pair of Technics SB6000 2-way speakers. It was a great sounding combination. I was on a tight budget at the time. The amp was $399.00, Tuner was $299.00 the turntable I know was under $300.00, and the speakers under $400.00. I found it hard to listen to at a lower volume setting. When the volume was halfway open it was loud and crisp. Anymore than halfway it was like sitting in a speaker at a concert. The amp and tuner have had no problems since new. I would like to have them gone through and checked for issues and maybe recapped. The turntable has an issue with speed control I need to have fixed one tweeter has gone out and needs looked at. Otherwise this setup has been a good one I hope to have for another 40 years. If I can find another one of these pieces for sale at a reasonable price "and I'm on the same budget I was when I bought the first pieces" I would uy it again. It a great amp. No problems ever with it. Still sounds great. I bought the same amp and turntable a year earlier and my house was flooded. Turned it in to insurance and started over. I would do it again if I could find them.

Submitted by Raj a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best sansui classic black beauty. I am totally impressed with the sound and planning to get an extra for spare. It has a good sound stage and sound warm and planning to recap it when I have free time. I prefer this amplifier compare to the newer sansui such as AU 717.

Submitted by firman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an amp about a year ago and came across this beauty at a used-audio market.(For 150 euro it was quite a steal anyway). This little monster is great.

Build :

Submitted by J.R.Miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've had this amp for 30 years now and I still think it is outstanding. It's had everything thrown at it - hard work (used to drive the mid / high range units in a 1200 watt system), rough treatment and some easy life on occasion. It has taken everything in its stride and sounded like it could do even more.
Lovely, clean sound - nice and punchy when you want and never sounds like its straining.
I'll never part with it - true love !!!!

Submitted by Gizeh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
Not too many out there anymore.

Build :
It's built and weighs like a tank. At the back there is a large heatsink (kind of rough though)the inputs/outputs and speaker posts facing up. The knobs are great to look and operate (no plastic here) and the overall looks with the black fascia is great. Minor complaint, the power cord is fixed and could be better. Anyway it can be replaced easily.

Features:
It's full of controls (2 muting options, filters, loudness and triple!! tone controls (bass,mid,treble) to experiment with. Still I think the most neutral sound comes all filters and tones off. It also comes with 2Aux, 2(!) Phono Inputs(MM/MC),Tuner,and 2 tape and a headphone output.
By the way there are two speaker sets. Since there was no manual I am not quite sure about the output but I believe it to be rated at about 60-75W. Sound:
The sound is clean, realistic , full of rythm never edgy or harsh but without becoming blury or lean. Quite a piece of work.
A friend of mine owns a Sansui QRX6500 receiver (which as I recalled sounded great despite its years) and I really wanted to compare the sound so I had her to bring it over for a listen. What a friend (Ever tried to lift a Sansui?).
All in all the sound is quite similar with main difference in power and presentation.While AU-7900 sounded more clean,detailed , the QRX6500 sounded warmer, rounder but less analytical though (not foggy). I wonder if the QRX's wooden cabinet has anything to do with that. AU-7900's cabinet is completely metalic.What they do have in common is how great music they both play.(Still I'll miss the reciever part).
Sum up:
Great amp at a no cost price.Don't think twice, if you find one that is.. Equipment used:
Source : Nad cd-541i