Sansui AU-717 Integrated Amplifiers

4.86/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

85 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1977-1979)

Submitted by Scott E. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a wedding present to myself back in 1978 and love it!

Question: I'm coming into the 21st century and wondering if I can use this amp with a 5:1 surround sound system, specifically MartinLogan MLT-2 speakers?

Submitted by BillC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Bottom Line:
Bought my Sansui AU-717 in Feb 1978 .It can not compair to anything out there today . I have a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers hook up to it with a Sony Reciever,technics lineir track turn table.
The Sansui has the cleanest sound . Never had a problem with it. I do yearly maintainins on it, Remove the cover clean with electronic spray ,and vac. Sounds as good as the day I bought it.

Submitted by DerekSoCal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
I was going to give away my AU-717 integrated amp (85 watts), but after comparing it to a newer Yamaha and a Denon Amp/Receiver (100-120 watts that I ended up returning )for my home theater setup, I changed my mind and decided to keep this old geeser AU-717. This guy kicks ass than those 2 new ones I tried. I'mnot even using an HDMI. Glad I was able to save money and still enjoy mu AU-717.

Submitted by dakatabg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I got this amplifier not long ago with the matching TU-717 tuner. One of the best amplifiers I have had. It drives anything I hook up to it. Deep bass and very good looking amp. The phono stage is pretty good too. I wasn't lucky enough to get it as cheap as some of the the guys here on the review but hey I don't feel sorry I bought it.

Submitted by ProRecordingGuy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
Most of my reviews here are of loudspeakers, with only a handful of receivers and decks. One of the reasons for this is that speakers (and microphones) are easily the most subjective part of our modern audio chain. It isn't that there aren't differences to discuss between electronics, just that the differences are much smaller and subject to fewer variables than transducers.

That said, I had to write a review of this new aquisition to my collection. I have heard all about the "old" (pre-1980) Sansui gear for some time. So it was without hesitation that I picked up this AU-717 at a thrift store for a mere $35 (!).

After lugging this 40lb monster up the stairs at home, I did all my pre-powerup routine that I do to all "new" used gear. I opened the unit, checked for obvious shorts, missing insulation, etc., cleaned out the dust, cleaned up the front panel, and generally gave the unit a once over.

For initial auditions I used an older Sony CD changer as source and my trusted Hafler M-5 monitors as speakers.

Powerup was uneventful, and soon I had music going. Hmmm... nothing remarkable here, just clean, transparent sound. Ok, well, oodles (i.e. LOTS) of gain, not really any distortion. Turn it up some, hmmm, more power, still no distortion. Wow, this thing can move a lot of electrons!

Pretty soon, I'm enjoying the stepped volume control, playing with the tone bypass, driving the JBL sub from the pre-outs, noticing the swiss-army tape deck switching. Wow, these old amplifiers are -neat-.

How does it sound? Well, like a big brick with tons of quiet, low distortion gain. That is, it doesn't sound like anything. While it doesn't have the subtle transparency of a modern high-end integrated, it makes up for it with old-school, high-current power and Mack-truck build quality. This is a true audiophile grade amplifier that is built to last a few generations. I need to clean up the speaker selector, and I might replace some caps at some point. But this unit is operating in spec, with nothing more than a dusting out. Remember, this amp is over twenty five years old!

Maybe it's the vintage of the unit, but I have to say I enjoy this amp most driving my 80's vintage Yamaha NS-70t three ways, or better yet my Pioneer CS-99a's. The old, big, multi-way speakers and this amp make a great, listenable combination that you would have to spend a lot of money to match today. There are certainly few sub-$1000 amplifiers today that can match this Sansui.

Purchased At:   Thrift Store