Sansui AU-317 Integrated Amplifiers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

50 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1973-1974)

Submitted by Corneliu Grigoras a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2014

Bottom Line:
I want to sell it. Price 300US.
Wait for asks. ;-)

Submitted by Phillip Christian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
I've had mine since 1977 bought in Japan. It's been used for Being a DJ at dances to home usage. I have it hooked up to Kenwood KL-555 speakers and it can still rattle the walls of our house with fantastic sound! It's hard to find amps with specs that are comparable.

Submitted by Demort71 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
You can't beat the AU317 integrated amp. I love this model. It has plenty of guts for smaller rooms. Fidelity is clean and lifelike with just a hint of tube amp vibes (slightly warm sound). Volume is strong and clear, even at low levels. What a lovely little amp Sansui made in this one!

One source (classicaudio.com) shows these were made 1977-1979. That sounds about right to me. I bought a Sansui AU217 brand new in 1979 and owned it until it was stolen in 1990, so I am no stranger to Sansui sound quality or this line of amps. It was my first hi-fi amp/receiver. Now that I have had the 317, I like it better than the 217.

This is the first Sansui amp I have owned since 1990. I actually own three of these AU317 amps right now, so you can see I quickly developed a new affinity for them! I will eventually whittle it down to one, as I bought two of them to resell. I dabble in Technics turntable sales too.

I also own a Sansui G5500 receiver, rated at 120W versus this ones 100W. They both employ the DC technology that Sansui was touting at that time in their receiver and amp lines.

This is a good amp to use in conjunction with a turntable. It has the phono sub-sonic switch. It doesn't have a switch for cartridge type. The next generation of Sansui amps did have that feature, but it isn't the amplifier that this earlier one is.

Yeah, great sound in my opinion, fantastic design and build quality. Yamaha amps of this period may have had similiar sound quality, but they don't seem to age as well as Sansui equipment (more problems). This model is about bullet proof and immortal with a little TLC. Can't go wrong with it! It will probably outlive me!!!

Submitted by MXD CEC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Sansui- AU 317
The intro to this section stated this amp was produced during 1973- 1975. I bought mine new, in 1977 or 1978. (I believe it was 1978). I would like to see official proof of the production years. Don't accept those stated production dates without some fact-checking.

This thing is more, or certainly behaves, and weighs more than the 50 watts advertised. I'll put it closer to 100 watts in term of the powerful sound it delivers.

Today, I did a side by side comparison with a brand new 100 watt Audio Source Amp 2 (100 watt) power amp. The Sansui outperformed the brand new Audio Source amp with a more powerful, louder, richer, deeper, and clearer sound. Bose 161 surrounds were on the receiving end of the test.

This is an amp that can be used to defend yourself. It weighs about 1/2 pound, or more, per watt! These things are really built- everything is sealed, knobs, switches, etc. If you have ever worked on an airplane, you'll get a familiar feeling when you start looking at the amp. Except with it's weight (did I mention this thing is heavy) it would never get off the ground, but is built with aviation-like quality.

This piece had a phono(graph) sonic sub filter, which protects speakers from those horrible noises that eminate from phonographs and amps hate to push to speakers, and speakers strain to reproduce at their own peril.

If you want to use this to power a CD player (this was built before CD's were invented) simply use the AUX outlets in the rear, and select AUX on the front panel. For a couple hundred bucks (a used AU- 317 is less thab $50, Pinnacle or Bose speakers, cheap CD player- don't spend a lot on these things, the sound between the new CD players that are cheap and the expensive CD players is nearly indistinguishable) you can have a very cool unit for a spare room, workshop, basement or garage. It's a conversation piece that's got a vibe that says, I could of had a B&O, but this units got more personality- and will sound better.

Purchased At:   Steinbergs, Cincinna

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Still using this integrated amp. Hooked up with an original and very flexible surround sound system consisting of a Kenwood 100 watt per channel M1 Sigma Drive amp for the front speakers, an Advent Soundspace Control, Sansui AU-317 integrated amp for overall volume control and rear speaker amp. Now hooked up with small Energy speakers in the bedroom.
Used to be used with Polk RT7 Floor standing speakers, which I still use in the living room with a DD receiver system.
The AU-317, well, may it never die.

PANAMAX: