ROTEL RA-985BX Integrated Amplifiers

4.17/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

100 Watt Stereo Integrated Amplifier w/ Remote

Submitted by Winston a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
This amp amazes me from the first time i pushed the power button and hit play on the CD Player. This open and wide stage and dynamic with a extremely fast and punching bass and unbelivable depth. The clarity of hights and mids are wonderful and you can almost grip into the seperation. I was lucky to get this beautyful amp via ebay. My wife isnt a audio enthusiast, but after she listend her CD´s on this amp in combo with ASW´s she told me, she never before heard that kind of detail and punch in the music. Great Stuff and if you get grip on one at ebay, go for it !

Submitted by STIFA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this wonderful integrated from a friend and it was the best sonic upgrade I have made in last 2 years.
I was so surprised when first notes hit the air, It was damn EXCITING.

rotel ra985bx
nad c542
audioquest/vdh bi-wired
B&W 802

You could imagine my surprise , because I have heard/owned following :
Rotel Ra/02, 1070
Nad (almost all , not impressed but good CD players from NAD)
Arcam Diva and FMJ range (wonderful)
Electrocompaniet 3
Linn Karin, Musical fidelity (too much $)

and this Rotel beats them all in terms of DETAIL and EXCITEMENT.
Thought I have heard it all till now but this amp made me realise how much detail is implemented in music.
Another DAMN good thing about this integrated is DYNAMICS. It kicks so fast and without loss of detail that is labeled by many that came in my house as "most heart-shaking amp I ever bought".
Bypassable tone controls, many inputs, zone operation for second room ,bi-wire quality outputs, remote.:)
Tried it with many CD players and it draws every single bit of data out of them. Try Nad or Arcam CD players they are a mind-blowing match with Rotel.
Another thing is easy-listen with so much dynamics that at very low volume you can hear all the details without loss of bass/dynamics/detail.
AWESOME. Thought I found my match with Musical Fidelity for last 15 years in this area but this made me shiver.Really.

Sound is best described as:
detailed and crisp highs
smooth and forward mids
fat and controlled bass
Could be descaribed best as the "american" sound with parts of "english" sound. Very near Adcom ,Arcam and other.
So natural.

Purchased At:   bought used

Submitted by zamario a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have owned this amp for about 7 years and I just think it is GREAT! Sound is perfect, controlled and very musical. I don't know if it is possible to find better for the price and, if you find it second hand just go for it.
I recently decide to change setup for a Home Cinema system and even if I spent much more I still don't have the same quality on stereo!!

Purchased At:   BUSCEMI

Submitted by ppeter1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
Received as a trade-in for more expensive gears which i have sold.It was my worse amp.in my 30 years hi-fi experience!!!Even with cables such as VdH First and Wind was unlistenable!Without finesse,lacking freq.extremes,it has only power and nothing else!Smaler Rotel's sounds better!

Submitted by GhostlyFriend a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well here's another absolutely positive comment on this remarkable amp.
I play a Rotel RCD 991 and ELAC CL 202 speakers.
After more than a year the sound still smashes me. The bass is present but smooth. It is as if you can hear the thumb against the strings. Female voices are awesome, Barbra's Send in the Clowns lifts you straight into other levels of awareness. It gives a very broad and deep soundscape. The music is everywhere in you room.

Purchased At:   Hobo Hifi