ROTEL RA-1062 Integrated Amplifiers

4.47/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

60 watts x 2 into 8 ohms, 6 inputs including MM phono stage and two tape loops, two speaker outputs, headphone jack, separate record/listen, defeatable tone contour control, balance control, pre-outs, 12 volt trigger output, removeable IEC power cord, remote control

Submitted by Crols a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Excellent budget amplifier. Does everything well, especially for the price. 60wx2 but plenty of power on tap. What's best is there doesn't seem to be any electronic haze that is associated with budget integrated amps. Fairly neutral as well. Makes the old Nad C340 I use to own look childish in comparison. At $650 cdn it was a great buy.

Submitted by ryanianmckinnon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
i was in the process of upgrading my system at the time, i was selling my old Denon amp (pma 2000r) and looking to upgrade to something newer and hopefully with a warranty. I was looking on canuckaudiomart and i stumbled onto this unit, it was exactly what i wanted for the price i wanted and still had 3 years on the warranty.

after purchasing this unit i took it home and unplugged everything from my old amp and hooked it up to this and within minutes i was listening to it. All i can say is wow what a great amp at first i didnt notice any difference from the denon but then i put on some scorpions and then it hit me. There was ALOT more detail in the song more than i ever though there could be. i was amazed at how clear it was.

all in all it is a great amp and was perfect for me and was in my budget which was also a bonus, i have read many reviews and read that people dont like the contour controls but i like them and i also like the remote its perfect size and not overly bulky.I will be keeping this amp for a while until i decide to spend more money to upgrade

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Bestforthebuck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
The amp sounds very well with the rest of the system. Unfortunately, I had to have both the Rotel CD player and amp replaced under warranty after catastrophic failures in under 12 months and the amp is now losing a channel again, three years in. I can't imagine that much can go wrong with a solid state amp, so this is surprising. These are not abused units, so I have to fault their components.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by foghorn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this amplifier after recently getting back into my rather large vinyl collection. Had considered NAD, Marantz and Yamaha and I have no doubt had I gone in that direction I would have been pleased. But the more I listen to the Rotel, the more I appreciate it.

Not being a "true audiophile" (in the dollars and cents aspect), the nearly $700.00 dollars I spent on this unit was at the top of my budget. But it was worth it. I upgraded from an old Harmon Kardon PM640 Vxi, a nice little amp for it's day. In fact, I considered just keeping the HK. But "new toy" syndrome won out, and I am very happy.

The modest increase in watts (45 to 60) is readily discernible. I think the Rotel is similar to my HK in that neither amp "colors" the music in any way, very neutral sounding. I personally think this is a good thing. But I am hearing things on some LP's I did not hear with the HK. Clearly Rotel has done something right. While some albums sounded only slightly better, others took on an entirely new life - clearly the Rotel is able to extract something "extra" out of the vinyl and that is what you buy an amp for. Once you crank the volume up to say 1/3 or a little beyond, that is when things really come to life, at least with my modest little pair of Paradigm Atom speakers.

The Rotel is built like a tank, and is very attractive in a retro sort of way. Love the silver/black combo, "rack" look, and neon blue lighting - minimal but effective. 5 year warranty - who can match that?

Any dislikes? Not really. I was initially a little put off by the lack of bass and treble controls (in favor on a 5 position "contour control"), but I am actually finding it works well. I believe the 2010 modeal has them, but the unit is $300.00 more. Have yet to find music where I am craving an "in-between setting" and can't get it. Rotel did their homework on this one. (I will say though, I wish the far right position had used the lesser bass increase with added treble instead of the heavier one, I think the 4db increase is a bit much). But I fluctuate between neutral, L-1 and H and it has handled all my listening needs.

All in all a great "entry-level audiophile" amplifier which I expect I will have a very long time.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by AudioAddict1123 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
In deference to dogorman's inability to take a position on this item ("Obviously it's not fair to compare..."; "it isn't unfair, either"), I'll take the high road on the RA-1062: it's classic Rotel, built like a tank with a pleasing sound that was never intended to compete with the likes of Arcam Alpha series or Music Hall. Rotel has always appealed to the entry-level hi fi set, and that's what the RA-1062 delivers. Having just replaced some very mid-90's stuff--an Adcom power amp and a Parasound preamp--I'm totally impressed with the performance and function of this integrated amp. It has a very nice, tight and punchy bottom, and clear, uncomplicated highs without a lot of sizzle. Granted, I'm using an upgraded power cable (Tara Labs Prism) which has always brought out the best of anything I've ever used it on, but still it's a huge improvement over my old stuff.

I give a 5 star all-around rating because this is one of those pieces that you can throw on your shelf and know that it will continue to please you, trouble-free, for many years to come. If you're going to rate it's performance based on "above- or below middle C piano" (see dogorman review), you should probably be writing for Stereophile, in which case you'd get most of your gear free. If you're going to plop down 600 bucks of your hard-earned cash, might as well do it on something like the RA-1062, where you don't have to work so hard to enjoy the music.

High End: