Rega Elicit Integrated Amplifiers

4.63/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1425.00

• Discrete circuitry used in the signal path.
  • Polypropylene capacitors used in all sonically critical positions.
  • High specification Relay switching used throughout.
  • Symmetrical power amplifier utilizing state of the art Sanken Darlington output transistors with enhanced thermal stability.
  • Higher than normal Class A quiescent current.
  • Galvanically isolated power supplies for the pre amplifier, power amplifier & digital circuits.
  • Fast diodes used in the audio power supplies. Nine individual power supplies.
  • High stability low noise voltage references used throughout.
  • Low noise servo controlled FET pre-amplifier with the minimum of coupling capacitors.
  • Wolfson digitally controlled stepped attenuator volume control.
  • Generous heat sinks for continuous use.
  • Plug in card for MM & MC input and future options.
  • Direct input for integration into multi channel systems.
  • Military specification wire used for speaker wiring.
  • Single PCB construction ensuring short signal paths.
  • Large toroidal transformer.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Mc240 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
    I'm writing about the new version of the Rega Elicit integrated amplifier that sells for about $3200 with a MM or MC phono stage; I paid $1395 used from an audio dealer. Like the Stereoguy in an earlier review, I chose the Rega Elicit for all the conveniences that integrated amps have: smaller size, smaller price tags, and excellent sound. In recent years I have downsized from 2+ systems, mono amps, tubes, 48 pound turntables and separates in general. I also lost my listening room and had to move the main stereo back into a formal living room shared with my wife. I have owned two other excellent integrated amps, the McIntosh MA6900 ($5,000) and the Audio Analogue Maestro Settanta ($3,700). From memory, I can tell little difference between the Rega and the McIntosh. The McIntosh may have had richer bass, but the Rega sounds more musical; all from subjective memory. I am sure that the Rega provided more detail and fuller bass than the Maestro Settanta, because I owned both of these amps at the same time. I was able to switch listening to these amps while using the same music and the same turntable (Rega P5), CD-player (Rega Saturn) and speakers, (PSB Image Ones). The image or sound stage presented by the Elicit was always sounded superior to that of the Maestro, no matter what music (jazz, classical, world, folk or rock). I briefly inserted my pair of Quicksilver mono amps with an Audible Illusions A3A preamp into this system; the tubes sounded like unmusical mud compaired to the Rega or the Audio Analogue integrated amps. (And I have been a tube amp fan for over 30 years and invested in major tube upgrades for the Quicksilver and Audible Illusions).
    In conclusion, the Rega Elicit is a modern, handsome looking integrated that is easy to use, affordable, and sounds great playing all types of music. Highly recommended.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by stereoguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
    This review is the new version of Rega Elicit integrated amplifier with optional MM or MC phono stage that came out recently. Since I consider myself to be music lover first and equipment nut second, this integrated amplifier suits my needs well. It is thoroughly competent and eminently practical. I've given over to the inconvenience and discomfort of tubes and class A solid state on several occaisions over the years (Pass labs, conrad johnson, audio research). Yes they sound great but in some ways are a pain to use and own. Good tubes can be finicky and cost alot, class A amps use gobs of electricity, and both types of amp generate copious amounts of heat. Sometimes I would be sweating during a listening session. I might find myself being subserviant to music at times, but I am no longer willing to be subserviant to equipment. Nowadays I just want to listen to music without bother. I had used the Rega Mira as a possible solution to all this. If that amp had been just a little better I would have kept it and soldiered on. Well the Rega Elicit is more than a little better than a Mira. I wanted a good integrated with a built in phono stage for my turntable- the Rega Elicit is that amp. Though I do feel the US retail price of the Elicit is prohibitvely high. I got a good deal on mine and Rega had a phono stage included free introductory promo going on when I got it (phono is normally an extra charge). The Elicit has a very appealing look to it plus it feels solid, hefty and well made when you pick it up. The power supply transformer is the core of any amp, it seems Rega has given that fact ample consideration. The sound it gives is assured and involving across the board. You don't get the boundless sense of reserve higher powered amps can have. At the upper edge of its loudness capability there is a change in tonality which does not become offensive. The sound goes from being more laid back to a little more foward. In this manner it reminded me of my CJ tube amp and Sugden class A amp- it will remain composed if used within reason. Tonally The amp falls somewhere between the Rega Mira3 and Sugden A21 I have owned. The Elicit has a stronger than typical bias into class A but not enough to run very hot. The result is a subtle sweetness and refinement which the Mira lacks. The Elicit is more clear and detaled than the Sugden A21a but I wouldnt call it hyper detailed. The soundstage is good, treble is smooth, bass is proplusive. What Hi-fi kept calling this amp "musical" as if it's some kind of crime. After awhile I've learned that components that impress immediately rarely stand the test of time. Folks this is about as good as British class A/B integrated amps get. I can speak of it as being well suited as the heart of the Rega system I now own. It did not work as well in a piecemeal situation. I'd suggest that people who listen to this amp at least consider to try it with Rega speakers. To sum up The Elicit is a clean and musical sounding amp that also happens to be utilitarian. I am very happy to own it.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by DanSimp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
    Well I got this Amp for my 2nd rig. My 1st being in nott'm and consists of a planet CD player, cursa pre, 2x maia power amps and a pair of b&w p4 speakers. Yes I'm already a fan of rega! My 2nd setup is just so I can listen to music in my rented room in London and consists of the elicit, MS05i speakers and a nothing special aiwa xc-300 cd player. I recently got the Elicit off e-bay for £200 inc deliver. Its one of the last serial# of this amp to have ever been made. It sounds rarther sweet and out classes the rest of the kit in this setup. Its surprisingly good even at low volumes (sometimes a weakness at low volumes *ARCAM* where one channel up staging the other at low volumes). Build quality is very good and looks are like all pre-2000 rega boxes. When I move back to nott'm I will give it a try out in my other rig to see how close it comes sound wise. But with the speakers and CD player I have in this 2nd setup I can't fault the nature of this solid sounding amp.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Jean-Philippe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
    When I decided to buy a hifi system, I hear some low-price components: Atoll IN50 (french integrated 2x50 W), Nad C300, Thule Audio IA50B and two older amplifiers which are of another class: a ten year old Rega Elex and a used tube amplifier Kora Flash (unfortunately a bit expensive for the student I am).
    The Rega has stricked me with its ability to reproduce the emotion of good performance and with its formidable dynamic.I was so delighted that I decided to seek for a potential bargain. I found it with an used Rega Elicit that I payed only $440 instead of $1360. Confident in the "Rega sound", I've bought it ear-closed.
    I was very proud of my new purchase, but how would it sound like?
    Well, non-audiophile listener would say that it produce the same sound that the Elex, which is, in fact, a good point for the Elicit. Effectively, The Elex has a very powerful, dynamic and rich sound. This amp is a charmer!
    But for audiophile usage, the Elicit dramatically increase the realism of the music:
    1°- the soudstage is more open, with greater depth and the stereo image is more stable.
    2°- the sound spectrum is really very big, from the higher to the lower freqencies. The bass are particularly well-reproduced: they go very low while being well-controled, without any trace of flawless. Every octave of the harpsichcord lash the air with an equal ease.
    3° - the tone of the instruments are glaring of truthness. What for a celo! It's fantastic! The voice are simply marvellous.
    4° - even if the Elicit seem to be less powerful then the Elex, it is certainly more realistic. The micro-dynamic is fascinating.
    5°- Perhaps the greatest quality of this superb amp is his transparency. With the Elicit, you will be sure that the sound you hear is as close as possible to the signal the CD player generate.
    Its weaknesses? Precisely its transparency: the assocation with good source component is essential.
    To concluded, the Elicit, which is no longer produced and could be found only used, is clearly a bargain. Be sure that, for the price you will pay to have it, the Rega surpasses a new amp you could have for the same price. For this last reason, I will becareless, and give it 5/5.

My system:
    4 mm2 speaker cables.

Purchased At:   AV Shop, Ostfildern,

Submitted by Jay R a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
    After auditioning NAD, Arcam, Bryston and Naim I bought the Rega Mira and Planet. They sounded so good, (and cost so much), that a few weeks later I figured what's another paycheque - so I bought the Elicit. What really turned me off the Arcam was the volume control which made one channel turn on first at low volume. The Rega seemed to be well built and exude quality. I quickly followed up with an upgrade from the Planet (CD) to Rega's Jupiter/Io CD.

The Elicit seems to have the perfect balance of high resolution and punch with a smooth, natural sound. It's not bright and thin and not blurred or lazy. I find the system wonderfully easy to listen to and absolutely non-fatiguing. With a good quality recording it's very involving and exciting with excellent pace and rhythm.

The Elicit needs some time to warm up so I think a Standby switch might be a good idea. My only real complaint is that there is no remote control available. I wish Rega added a volume (for amp) button to the Juptier's remote.

Partner the Elicit with the Rega Jupiter and a good interconnect (and suitable speakers) and I think you will agree the sound is delightful and you do get what you pay for.

Atlantic Technology: