Rega Brio Integrated Amplifiers

4.67/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $595.00

The Brio is a simple, high performance, integrated amplifier. The design and cost has been concentrated on the highest possible sound quality rather than gadgets, buttons and unnecessary frills often found at this price range.
  • 38w RMS per channel into 8 ohms
  • 5 inputs: Phono, CD, Tuner, Line1 & Tape
  • Rega Planar IC phono input
  • Rega custom built extruded aluminium case

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by LeRoy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
    This is a review for the Rega Brio 3 which I think was released into the audio market in 2007? The bottom line is this a one overachieving musical amp and would heartily recommend this amp with only 3 caveats.

The rated 49 watts is still too much power for small speakers. I had in my collection a number of different budget bookshelf speaker and tried them all. I must be clear here in stating that even though the small bookshelf speakers could sound musical they each reached their limits pretty quickly. The woofers of the Usher S-520's and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 could not handle that volume setting of 11:00 or 12:00 with bass heavy music. However, the Usher's could handle music that was not bass heavy to about 2:00-3:00 on the volume setting and still sound very dynamic and musical. The Wharfedale's are not a good match to Brio as the tweeter became to brighter and brighter as I turned up the volume and listener fatigue set in very quickly with the Wharfedales. I also had a pair of Energy Connoisseur C-1's and these speakers with the Brio 3 could handle the bass heavy music till about 1:00 before crying uncle. These Energy speakers could handle Brio 3's bass output the best of the three but the bass from Energy's is no where near a defined as that of the Usher's. Of the three speakers I listed above, far and away the best match and most musical from top to bottom was with the Usher-S520's!

However, in my collection I also have a pair of Nola Mini's. The Mini's are a large bookshelf speaker and quite easily handles all that the Brio 3 can do. High end detail without being bright or fatiguing, the excellent midrange of the Brio 3 only enhances the beautiful midrange of the Mini's, and the bottom end is weighty and more complete even at 03:00 on the volume setting.

The Brio 3 allows the source to display it's own character. I initially was using an NAD 521 CD player and enjoyed it but wanted to see if I might be able to extract a better musical presentation with Cambridge Audio 640C V2. I did not like the C.A. at all as I found the pace much too slow and not enough upper end detail. However the midrange and separation of instruments was certainly a level above that if the NAD. I have listened to the Rega Apollo on three separate occasions and am yet to be impressed by it. So, I went ahead and purchased an NAD 545 BEE CD player and this player is a great match to the Brio 3.

For interconnects I am using Chord Cobra 3 with Chord Carnival Speaker wire.

So, to summarize, choose your speakers very carefully when matching up with the Brio. I would definitely recommend large bookshelf or floor standing speakers as the Brio 3 does not have any subwoofer outputs or tone controls. Pay close attention to PRAT when choosing a CD player as the Brio 3 already alters the pace of the music on it's own ( I don't think this is a bad thing...just an fyi). Lastly, if you can get this amp gently used then do it. I don't think I would be as satisfied as I am if I had paid full retail for this amp.

Here is my final system config and pricing:
    Rega Brio 3 $453.04 (gently used)
    NAD 545 BEE $540.00 (new)
    Chord Cobra 3 interconnects and Chord Carnival Speaker wire 8 ft/pr $285.78
    Nola Mini bookshelf speakers $695.00 (gently used purchased directly from mfg in 2007)
    Total system cost: $1,973.82

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Joel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
    I wanted to replace my older Pioneer Elite surround system with separates because several people told me that it is a much better way to hear a more accurate reproduction of music. So, I went to a store that sells, Cambridge Audio, Rega, and Naim systems to see what they recommended. I ended up saving a little money and buying the Cambridge Audio Azur 540 V.2 instead of spending more and buying the Rega Brio 3. After listening to the Cambridge Audio Azur 540 for a solid month, I could not tell that much difference between the quality of sound of it and my Pioneer Elite receiver that was seven years old. I then decided to go back and get something of higher quality, but a little bit more money, so I ended up with the Rega Brio 3 thankfully! I am very impressed with the Brio 3 after only having it two weeks. In comparison with the Cambridge Audio, listening to the Brio 3 is like I turned the "ON" switch on to music in my front room. Whereas the Cambridge Audio sounded good and had great sound, it did not do anything that impressed me more than my older Pioneer Elite receiver. With the Rega on the other hand, it is a much more accurate reproduction of all music, I can hear clarity, detail, imaging, and accuracy that is head and shoulders above the Cambridge Audio.

Purchased At:   Hawthorne Stereo, Se

Submitted by arc80 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
    This is a follow-up to my review posted below. After a few more weeks of listening and a change to a better interconnect (Nordost Solar Wind replaced with Transparent MusicLink Plus) the Brio's bass has changed NOTICEABLY! It has become much much tighter with better slam and extension.

The sound this $550 integrated pumps out is truly remarkable. B/C of this I have changed my overall value rating as the sound is now truly great.

Purchased At:   Local hifi shop

Submitted by arc80 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
    Like the Brio's layout and design features I will keep this review short and to the point. This particular Rega has excellent engineering and a terrific sound that doesn't immediatley leap out at you. The frequency spectrum is reproduced in its entirety, although the bass can be a tad fat, lacking the lowest level slam. It is entirely rythmic and musical though. The upper frequencies are not at all harsh or bright sounding and as far as I can tell sound completely natural without a glossed over sheen.

This amplifier has plenty of current and reproduces the most complex of musical passages with ease. Dynamic rock is a strong point as this amplifier has great pace and timing. Soundstaging is very nice too, and the midrange might be slightly forward (although this is something that I personally like).

For sound quality I heartily recommend this amp and give it 5 stars.

The external build quality is good not great. The faceplate is a plastic material and while clean and neat certainly does not convey robustness or the like. The RCA jacks are average at best. This amp comes with no remote so be prepared to get up to change the volume and change the input selections. There are also no preamp outputs, so you can not use this as a preamp in the future. It is obvious that the design team at Rega chose to stick their money in the heart of the machine.

Three stars for build quality and features. But ultimately, at least for me, it comes down to sound quality. Step up to a better source component and this amp will keep sounding better. I give this amp an overall rating of 5 stars because its sound quality easily trumps similarly priced designs.

Purchased At:   local hifi shop

Submitted by Jwamyung Kim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
    I have used this small qute amp less than
    a week. But I like it immediately so much
    I had to write this!!!
    The music comes to me very personally and
    beautifully.
    I never expected this kind of beauty at this price level..
    Of course other powerful amp such as Mcintosh etc can impress me more...but not
    continuoslly like this..
    So much fun and beauty in music..
    Thanks Rega...beautifully done..