PrimaLuna ProLogue One Integrated Amplifiers

4.81/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $1599.00

Tube integrated amplifier.
  • Adaptive AutoBias circuit improves performance, lowers distortion, and eliminates the need to adjust tube bias.
  • SoftStart circuit extends component and tube life.
  • Removable tube cage.
  • Premium parts including Alps volume control.
  • Conservative design uses four EL-34 tubes.
  • 35 watts per channel.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by XUM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
    Originally the Primaluna Prologue One matched very well in a Brussels' hi-fi shop with a pair of ProAc D15. But I choose - bad idea - at the end an association with electrostatic panels Martin Logan Aeon. Even with NOS Mullard tube roll-off (and Philips for the preamp), this Primaluna gives unfortunately not enough power to wake up these speakers, with a little agressivity in the mids. This trend is now confirmed with high sensitive Tannoy Gold monitors. Even with their highs at minimum (-3db), the results are harsh and a bit compressed. However, good results with the soft French speakers Leedh Conclusion: use it with smooth spekers around 90 db and a stable impedance around 8 ohms, not below, not behind.

Strenghts: Price, vitality and cohenrency with adapted speakers, buildquality.

Weakness: harsh in the mids and highs especially with sensitive speakers, wimpy basses, limited power, bad original tubes from China, no pre-out.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by AlanBstone a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
    Cost is in GB Pounds.. After 40 years of buying Hi fi searching for the elusive magic I have reached my chosen home. This is my 4th valve amplifier and since the first I was bitten by the valve bug. I was scared off for many years by a valve amp that was troublesome to say the least. When I read that the Primaluna range was 'trouble free' especially with the wonderful Adaptive Auto Biasing I thought i'd dip my feet again. The reviews on here convinced me that this might be my nirvana. And so it turned out. What a surprise. Wonderful feel to the music and so beautifully balanced. Sounds don't jump out at you (does music really sound like that) but caress you in a musical envelope. Don't get the impression it is over warm as all the detail is there but presented in a palpable fashion. It makes you want to listen to evry CD in your collection for believe me mine have never sounded like this. This amp was always good but I am an inveterate tweeker and I replaced the power cable with something more substantial and then the 'toobs'. As recommended here I tried Svetlana Winged 'C's then EH 6CA7's. Both better in different ways. Then i was recommended soe Philips 7581A's. Difficult to find but these together with Radotechique 12AU7's and TungSol 12AX7's absolutely transformedtranformed the sound.
    The soundstage which was always good is absolutely wall to wall and extremely deep. Room filling extraordinaire!! The bass has loads of 'feel' and the treble truly shimmers. Midrange - if it's recorded to be 'in the room' then it is and if it is more recessed then that is how it' presented. Rhtythms are toetapping. orchstras are as big as they should be and small groups sound as if they are playing just for you. As you can see I am in Audio Heaven. My journey has ended.
    This is the Hi Fi bargain of the century.
    My equipment:-
    Damiel Power Cable

Purchased At:   Guidford Audio

Submitted by stereoguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
    The amp now costs 1375 line or 1575 w/ phono. This is a tube amplifier made at a factory called Spark in China- basically the same amp was available for 800 US dollars, and now it is sold in the US under 2 brand names - Cayin and Primaluna, with autobias and presumably other parts upgrades for the Prologue one version. Essentially it is based on a Dynaco 70 circuit. For all of the boasting about the build quality of this thing on upscale audios site- "equal to anything at any price", upon unboxing it I found bubbles in the 5 coat hand painted and rubbed finish, and lots of little hairline scratches all over the unit- this I suppose a product of the hand rubbed finish? Art dudley's stereophile review does sum up the sound pretty well- "this chunky little tube amp sounds like a chuncky little tube amp- for better and for worse". I also have to agree with his assessment of the amps bass - "a seriosly underdamped bottom 2 octaves". While EL34 tubes often have a softer bass, this amp was below even what I expected, and my expectations were not high in that area. The midrange is where tubes shine- and shine they do- beautiful piano, guitar, saxophone, trumpet, and voices, though detail is lost a little. Treble is generally sweet. The amp miffs me because it was like one disc would be- OH Yeah! and then another would be OH No! In some areas you will not touch it for the price.The Hi-fi world review sums up my feeling very well "If you are looking for the consumate all rounder at this price, clearly this is not it". Though it does some things better than solid state amps do, overall I found the Primlunas sonic pluses really fell even with its minuses- factor in the inherently funky nature of tubes and I concluded this is not the amp for me. Also I found the phono stage to highlight surface noise in an un natural way, I tried 2 different cartridges. My advice would be go outboard phono if you buy the Prologue. That said, can you outdo its midrange at the price- Hell No! It really is a for better and for worse proposition when you take those vows!

Purchased At:   upscale

Submitted by mystiqueAudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
    I've never written any review for audio equipments. This is my very fist time.

After brought home this Prologue One from my office and listened it over the weekend, I was amazed and excited to tell you how much fun I had with it. It is an unbelievable integrated amplifier.

My company purchased the PL-One to drive our newly designed HT speakers which don't performance the way it was designed in the midrange. After trying some solid-state integrated amplifiers, such as Simaudio I-3, Naim Nait-3, & Arcam A80, the problem remains. The boss took my suggestion and bought the PL-one from Upscale Audio. It’s a different world now. The PL-One delivers exactly what we needed to make our speakers sales faster than ever. The boss was happy and let me bring the PL-one home over the weekend.

I have APL Denon 3910 Universal Player, Audio Research Ref 2 Mk2 preamp, Simaudio W-5 Amplifier, and Acora Granite Speakers as my main listening system. There is no need to mention how wonderful these gears are as they all have the reputation in the audiophile field. I like any kind of music except Rap. Before I hook up the PL-One, Jheena Lodwick’s album “Feeling” was sitting inside the APL Denon 3910. I played the first song “Feeling” and listened to it a few times just to get the feeling of my current setup. After removing the Audio Research Ref2 Mk2 and Simaudio W-5, replaced by the PL-One, I played the song “Feeling” again. I was really surprised. I expected to have a warmer midrange from the PL-one as it uses EL34 tubes. I also expect to lose some bottom end and sound image as compared to the Solid-state W-5 and ARC Ref2 combo. The result, however, really surprised me. Again, it is unbelievable. Indeed, it was warmer and smoother than I expected. That’s the way I like the PL-one to be. The bottom end is even tighter. Yes. The bass performance is better than the combination of ARC Ref2 and Simaudio W-5. This combo cost me over 10K. I just can’t believe how this little amp can achieve this. The sound image, on the other hand, wasn’t as detailed as the ARC and W-5 combo. But, when you have warmer and smoother sound and tighter bass, you wouldn’t care to lose the little, and just little detail. After all, we are supposed to enjoy music listening, not pin point where exactly the specific instruments was played or recorded. I continued to play most of my favorite CDs through the rest of the weekend and I came to some thoughts about my current system:

1.I MUST buy another Prologue-One for myself as an alternative Amp; or
    2.I MUST trade-in my Simaudio W-5 for the much powerful Prologue 6; or
    3.I MUST trade-in both ARC Ref2 MK2 and W-5 for the new Dialogue Int Amp;

My decision is option “2”, as I loved my Audio Research Ref2 Mk2 preamp so much, and sell the W-5 can get me enough cash for a brand new Prologue 6 amp.

The Prologue One makes me change my idea toward the Hi-end gears. By adapting today’s technology, you don’t have to spend 20k or more to enjoy the music. The $1,200 Prologue One will let you achieve it just as most of the big ticket items.

Purchased At:   UpscaleAudio

Submitted by emanuele_ita a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
    Last April I bought a PLP1 to upgrade my NAD C352T and enter in the tubes world, that before I knew from outside only, via the wonderful vintage gears owned by my super-audiophile uncle... I had read many enthusiastic online and magazine reviews, so I went to the shop to listen to the PLP1... and I was immediatly conquered!!
    I'm employing it with Audio Note Az-two loudspeakers (93 db, very good for tube amps): probably this is not the most neutral set-up, but I love its warm sound. I'm a music lover first of all , so having a hi-fi set that NEVER tires me listening is optimal for me... It's particularly great with acoustic music (jazz, vocals, chamber music...) but it's quite good also with rock, orchestral music, electronica...
    After some month I upgraded the stock power chord (which didn't perfectly fit with the rear socket and was unstable, the only real disappointment with PLP1) and the stock chinese tubes, eliminating the few flaws of the amp. Without spending silly money, I bought a QED Qonduit PC, Tung-Sol 12AX7's, JAN-GE 12AU7's and SED EL34's... After the tubes burned-in (and even during the process), the sound became bolder; in particular, the extreme bass now sounds fuller and much less damped than before (the bass drum now sounds really bold, not head-banging but real!); moreover, the already wide soundstage became wider and the the overall sound slightly warmer...
    So with a reasonable amount of money an already great amp became greater!

Purchased At:   Alchimie Musicali -