Plinius 9200 Integrated Amplifiers

200W x 2 into 8 ohms, phono input, preamp out, tape loop, processor loop.

Submitted by Lance B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
Wow, what a revelation!
The Plinius 9200 amp with 200W/channel into 8ohms and 340W/channel into 4ohms certainly has plenty of grunt. My speakers are the Orpheus Aurora 3's and as they are 4ohm I have plenty of power on tap to drive them to realistic sound levels.
Treble is clear, detailed and smooth with absolutley no harshness or hardness. You can hear every little nuance of the high frequencies with crystal clear precision.
Midrange is clear, dynamic and has plenty of depth and width to the instruments and vocals to give a very wide and involving soundstage.
Bass is tight and so well controlled, very well extended, not a hint of muddiness, and very dynamic. The bass kicks you in the guts and keeps on going never letting up the pace.
The overall sound is warm and inviting and with superb dynamics that give a realism I have never experienced in an amp.
When I first connected it up and listened to a few of my favourite tracks, both my son and I were simply amazed and couldn't believe how good this amplifier sounds.

Purchased At:   Sydney, Australia

Submitted by Lance B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
Wow, what a revelation!
My previous amp was a Marantz PM64 II with 100W/Channel and quarter A class which was considered a very good amp in its day. The Plinius blows it away, dynamics, clarity, depth, sound stage and bass extension are all outstanding. This amp is brutal, yet delicate, I am hearing intricate details of music that I had not heard before.
The treble region is never harsh or grating, but smooth, detailed and delicate.
Bass extension is amazing as it drives my Orpheus Aurora 3's with authority that commands attention. When I first connected the amp up and played some of my favourite music, my son and I sat there in amazement saying that it can't be that good! I have since had others listen and they also are amazed. Every note of bass is controlled, and never muddy, grunt applenty!
Midrange and sound stage are amazing. There is depth as well as width to the music and clarity that is spectacular. With a good recording you can hear the type of room the musicians are playing in.
My Aurora 3 speakers are 4 ohm and the Plinius 9200 can deliver well over 300W/Channel into a 4 ohm load and with this much power on tap it has a commanding control over all aspects of the frequency response.
Of major delight is the lack of distortion. It isn't until you try and talk to someone sitting next to you that you realise how loud the music is and you have to shout, a mark of lack of distortion. Nowhere in the frequency range is there any discernable distortion at these very high levels of playback.
Dynamics are in another class. It kicks you in the guts and keeps going, never letting up to the point that you think you are there with the musicians.
Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Sydney

Submitted by mtaha a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have bought the Plinius 9200 more than a month ago and so far I am totally impressed by its performance. Its music stage is wide and deep and the high frequencies are incredible. It is very warm with a great amount of detail. I know that my source Onkyo DV-SP502 is the weak link in my system and also the Dynaudios are stronger on the lower end but I feel that the Plinius compensates for all of that.

Purchased At:   Upscale Audio

Submitted by Chris K a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a very fine and musical amplifier. At the same time is very accurate in the reproduction of any type of music. It has excellent high frequency response with alot of air , excellent mid frequency response ( voices) and very good low frequencies. The voices are very close to a good single ended 300B amplifier but with better dynamic headroom. If my memory serves me right it is very close or even better than a Plinius SA100 MKIII with an M16 pre amp that I used to have a few years ago.It is part of my main system and I use it on a daily basis, I do not need to use my single ended 300b amplifiers any more and this is a great achievement for Plinius.

Purchased At:   Athens dealer

Submitted by jack43 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
At the urging of a friend who was long time in the high end audio business, I put his Plinius 9200 into my system. Absolutely blew me away--replaced about $10K of well known high end preamp and amp and blew both of them away. I have long been a 'snob' regarding integrateds, but no longer. I'm not a professional reviewer so I don't have the appropriate vocabulary. Just do yourself a huge favor and listen to this!! Absolutely one of the great sleeper steals out there. And, you get a wonderful phono stage to go along with this deal. I have no idea how the Kiwis pulled of this magic.

Purchased At:   From a Friend