Onkyo A-9555 Integrated Amplifiers

3.64/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

New VL digital amplifier technology.
Two-channel equipment coupled with a unique implementation of hybrid class 'D' amplification.
Delivers a continuous 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 200 watts into 4 ohms with remarkably little heat production or distortion.

Submitted by Nick Demery a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2016

Bottom Line:
Have owned a A-9555 Onkyo amp for 6years now and I absolutely love it whether watching TV through it or listening to music it performs faultlessly,I consider myself very lucky to own this awesome amp, shame it's discontinued! This is quite simply the best amp I have ever heard when mated with Monitor Audio RX8's. Go on give it a go ! You won't regret it,I promise!

Submitted by Jaap a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp cheaply (350 euro) to replace my Meridian 555 and 501 ampset to put my Planars 1.5 SE to work properly.
The pre-amp is quite good too but liked the Meridian 501 better regarding the sound.
The Meridian 555 did not have the power to sound good with the planars, the Onkyo does that without any fatigue.
It still can't match my Pioneer M22/C21 combo though.. not even close... ;-)

Glad to have bought the Onkyo.

Submitted by dpdatl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased mine as a factory refurb for $300 several years ago for three reasons. It was significantly less expensive than new. Someone else would have suffered with the frustration of infant mortality and more importantly the quality control testing is significantly better on a refurb than a new unit. The exterior was flawless when I received it.

I have had and still own many separate amps, preamps, and receivers that were far more expensive and the Onkyo is as good or better than any of them. I prefer the euphonic sound of tubes to solid state and I could live happily ever after with the A9555. Music emerges from a silent "black" background with a good separation of instruments and front to back depth. The only "flaw" in this design is the lack of a subwoofer or preamp outputs.

Tube amplifiers are a pain in the rear and require a bit of maintenance to operate at their best. They suffer a higher failure rate than solid state due to the higher voltages needed to operate and the heat they produce. I am moving amps and preamps out of my system for this very reason. The one constant on my rack is the A9555 because it is simply that good.

Accessories4less still carries this discontinued integrated amp when available as a factory refurbished unit. They are also available on the usual audiophile resell sites frequently. If you are looking for a great backup amp or the centerpiece of an excellent audio system you would not be disappointed with the purchase of the A9555.

Submitted by bt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I tried connecting with computer but the output is poor.The speakers are not made by ONKYO as the amplifier.
Is there anyone who can guide me how to get the best out of this amplifiers.

Submitted by cris_fon_sp a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought my A9555 at J&R. Worked 3 hours and just stopped, seems some components stopped working. And there isn't any reason for that since I'm experienced with hifi equipment and handle this one with care...
Didn't get satisfying assistance from Onkyo nor do they car about your review when you post one on their website, mine hasn't been published, they jusat put on the A9555's page very positive reviews and delete the others.
So I won't give any opinion regarding any possible acoustic quality of this product since 3 hours is a short time to evaluate it.
But all I know is that I should have keep away from Onkyo and from this specific amplifier, I'm very disappointed with lack of reliability of Onkyo's A9555...

Product model year:   2008