Naim SuperNait Integrated Amplifiers

Integrated amplifier

Submitted by mezzanine a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I went to my local Hi-Fi shop today and there was something new there. The Naim Super Nait.

I don't own this one so please take this review as it is. I did get a chance to listen to this for a half an hour or so. It was my first listen to a Naim product and I was really excited to finally hear what all the fuss was about as these products get tons of rave reviews.

Well, sadly I didn't like it. It had some things going for it. But the over impression was one of being bright in the upper midrange and lower treble. Too bright. The SSS and TTT sounds from the singers were horrible. Sounded like a 1980's Yamaha receiver in the upper registers. Keep in mind too the Naim was already warmed up for hours and ready to go.

It did do a few things nicely. The timing was really good. It got the groove right and the tempo. The lower midrange and bass was pretty good too. You could hear what was going on and in a somewhat interesting manner too. But the overall impression was all a bit mechanical sounding to me.

I do prefer tubes to solid state so also take the above statements for what it is. I have a VTL-IT-85 and I think it sounds much better than the Naim. But I also have a solid state amp, the Bryston B-60. I also prefer that one to the Naim. It's much more easy on ear and natural sounding.

Perhaps it was the other components hooked up to the Naim that contributed to the negative sound attributes. It was hooked up to some nice Dynaudio bookshelf speakers with Nordost speaker wire. It was also hooked up to an elaborate music server. This server cost $13,000! But perhaps a regular CD player would have sounded better with it?

The other reviewer below me liked the Naim a lot. He also had an Audiolab before this. I too used to own an Audiolab, it was an Integrated amp and I found it to be one of the most bright sounding components I ever owned. it was like glass! I bought it without hearing it first.

Anyway, my point is this, if you like that kind of sound and that solid state sound in general then maybe you will like the Naim. Try to listen to it for yourself. You might like it. It's just not for me or to my liking.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by winkyintheuk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Bottom Line:
I really like this amp. It is replacing an 11yo Audiolab 8000P/8000A setup. Speaker are B&W 803 S2 of similar vintage. The main impression of the SN is that the notes start and stop at just the right time. The "spaces between the sounds" - both in timing and a sense of dynamic range are clear. What it sounds like to me is that amplifier is really controlling the speker cones to make them do exactly what is required, not just whacking them and letting them oscillate to a halt on their own behalf. It's a Naim cliche, but it is all about the pace, rythm and timing. It adds up to an impact of the music that extends beyond just a quest for accuracy (not that it is short here, either), and creates an engaing and effortless listening experience.

All equipment at this level has a frequency response and lack of distortion that I find just fine. I actually think that our perception adjusts to this in any case. Soundstage depth and width aren't what I listen for. I don't care whether I can hear where the cello player is sitting. I use my system to listen to music; I don't use my music to listen to my system.

The SN does great - it's not cheap but it is good value in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Vancouver

Supernait - Are my ears kidding me?

Was trying real hard to find an integrated amp that could do better justice to my humble Vandersteen 2CEsig2. Ex Amp was MARANTZ PM15S1. Liked the way this MARANTZ dealt w vocals so much that was prepared to over look its limited bass extension and thin sound. Mean time auditioned - Ayre 7xe ... Read More »

FGH 26: