Naim Nait 3 Integrated Amplifiers

4.65/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

30 Watt Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by adam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
Build:
The first thing you notice about this amp, is the build quality which is superb. It’s your typical high quality fit and finish that you get with pround british models.

Sound:
First impression is of an amp with great detail retrieval. There is a nice shimmer to treble notes without any harshness. The midrange comes across very clean and neutral, with voices sounding as real as I have heard them through many of my systems. It has a great soundstage, especially the noticeable improvement in the depth of the soundstage, which I really didn’t get with my old Marantz 66 KI.

I can also confirm that the bass is tight and it can go deep down as well, but would probably say that it a bit lean compared to the Marantz 66 KI . However where the Marantz is a little more bass rich, it doesn’t have the detail of the Niam, to differentiate subtle differences in the bass.

Purchased At:   2nd dealer

Submitted by Johnclem88 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
Im 16 years old!! u may think im not that experienced with HI - Fi but really i am. ever sonce i purchased the naim, ive loved it, even though the thought of just 30 watts seemed very poor it still makes the room shake. when i first had the amp, i had a nad CD player and my dad let me use his Naim Credo speakers for a while, and all together they made such a cut glass clear sound with an awesome soundstage, the bass was impressive aswell.

My current set up involes a pair of Roger LS1's the naim, Nad CD player, Nad power amp and a Klipsch Sub! i use the Nad to power the Rogers and the naim to power the sub becasue it has so much drive and can rattle the windows!! i use the Nad to power the rogers because i found the naim a bit harsh sounding, but i have tried the nad jst on its own, and without the Naim as the pre-amp i loose alot of sound staging and attack.

My next steps are to get a naim CD player and Mordaunt short 309 sub (active), to improve further on the sytems livelyness and urge to entertain me!

The naim is an awesome amp, and my best investment in the system!

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Submitted by stuart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
just got hold of this amp secound hand in excellent condition.in my excitement to listen forgot to put loop in my epos es11s to stop them being bi-wireable.can only say for 20 mins was serverly depressed with sound.vocals sounded like they were 3 miles behind.once realised mistake settled down to some listening(changing cds every 2 mins).sound was superb espically with placebo,smiths,tubes actully anything half decently recorded.simple to use easy to listen to.just need to save up for quality interconnects and speaker cable...

Purchased At:   newspaper

Submitted by jitkiat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Because my friend was looking for an amp to match his ls3/5a, my wife and I have followed him to listen to many many amplifiers mainly valve (Jadis, Unison Research, Dynaco ST70, 300B). Although the smooth and warm sound of valve makes a comfortable listen, nothing is significantly better than my NAD C370 musically. One day we just went to listen to this Naim system: Naim CD5, Naim Nait 5 and Snell speaker. For the first time I notice the muscicality that is missing in my NAD. So I decide to buy a second hand Naim Nait 3 to try out with my speaker(Sonus Faber Concertino Home). First, I tested it with NAD C440 tuner. I was jumping with joy as my living room suddenly was filled with life-like voices. With NAD C370, I will never listen to radio for more than 20 minutes. With Naim, I can listen to my FM channels for a few hours and have so much fun .. even in MONO when the reception is bad ..
As my cdp is in service, my wife, my friend and I went to listen to another naim setup (Epos ES14, Naim cd3.5 and naim pre-power) on a familiar vocal/acoustic guitar track. All of us were seriously impressed by the musicians in that track. The system allows the musicians to communicate effectively as intended by the recording.

I am still waiting for my cdp to come back and thinking of buying the Naim 3.5 next ..

Purchased At:   2nd hand shop in Sin

Submitted by sjr69 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had my current system for over 8 years, which consists of a michell syncro turn-table, castle durham speakers, musical fidelity B1 amp, rotel 855 cd player using good connections and cable talk speaker cable. Over all i have been satisfied with the sound on the system. The cd is very consistent and the turn-table is capable of swinging from dynamic bliss to a compressed dull sound depending on the recording! Nevertheless i have learnt to live with this and only play the recordings that sound good!

Anyway i wanted to upgrade my system, basically for the sake of change and to get some more modern components that would look a bit nicer!!!

After discovering the delights of ebay and all the superlatives thrown at the nait 3 amp, i won the bid for a nait 3 which had a phono input for £ 300!

I also purchased some kef Q3 series floor standing speakers.

After spending a week, trying all sorts of different configurations...kef with the nait 3...kef with my original musical fidelity amp....nait 3 with my castle durham speakers etc etc....i have come to the conclusuion that i have wasted my money and time...my current system still sounds better!

Beleive me i so dearly wanted to love the nait 3 but it has not happened so far. Paired up wuth the kef's the sound had now weight, reminded me of the sound of a tape deck! The sound was very bright and airy but with really kick or punch.

The kef's did sound better with my B1 amp but still far too bright, so they are definately the weak link.

Things sounded a lot better pairing the nait 3 with my original speakers which are mounted on stands. But still sounds a little too bright although there is a lot more detail in the sound!

Things get very disapointing though when it comes to the phono stage. Where as the B1 amp produces and really deep controlled bass (the type you get with a turn table) the naim sounds weedy and thin!

So what do i do? I really want to keep the naim 3. Is it really the case that it requires very special partnering with its own products? I can understand that in the case of the cd player, but naim do no do a turn-table and dont really want to upgrade my syncro!

So do i put it back on ebay or be patient and get a naim cd player and perhaps a pre-amp or improved phono stage somehow?

this is not so much a review has a plea for help! I just want to get back to enjoying mmy music and accepting the sound! Anyone out there that can help???

ps forget to add that i spent £ 41 on a din connector to contact the amp to the cd!

FGH 26: