NAD 3300PE Integrated Amplifiers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

60 Watt Monitor Series Integrated Amplifier - Power Envelope (1987-1988)

Submitted by lenhoffcpa@yahoo.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is for the 3240PE since its not on the list. For 18 years I've driven a small pair of Energy speakers with this and was happy. Then I bought a pair of Pinnacle Classic Gold Tower speakers which blew me away for the money. I then decided that I need to upgrade my whole system. Replaced my Sony CD player with an ES model. SMART. THe tried to replace the NAD. I don't have the money. B&K, Rotel just didn't come close. The NAD from this era (late 80s) as a tech at a competitor told me, is just plain right up there. Now I know why they are still in demand. Live , learn and LISTEN.

Purchased At:   Harvey audio?

Submitted by pjs3805 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
A warm presentation, open midrange clean highs, a little heavy in the bass region with the Fried A/6's (No mars system used). A surprisingly good romantic sounding integrated amp. I listened to Ray Brown on Walk On. The upright bass wasn't as articulate as I would have liked but on acoustic instruments the NAD was pretty good. Reproduction of the drum wasn't as good as my tube rig but listenable. Highs were not as extended as I would have liked either. Compared to the PS Audio Elite integrated amp the NAD was a step behind in presentation. The PS Elite was simply more involving and gave a better presentation of the soundstage, depth, and midrange clarity. Bright or etched recordings sounded better on the NAD. It is a very very warm sounding piece of gear. It sounded slightly veil compared to the PS Audio Elite Integrated. I used the Elite not the Elite Plus. Now, get me wrong the NAD 3300 had good depth too. It is simply a matter of preference. If I used the Bass Eq I could have made the bass better. But the warmth in the midrange is still very different than the PS Audio Elite. I enjoy the extra detail especially when there is good depth and better imaging. Side by side I'd choose the PS Audio everytime. But the NAD is no slouch and still I give it a near 5 rating simply for being musical.

Purchased At:   Goodwill

Submitted by Sven a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up on the 3300 review below. I gave some technical specifics that now should be disregarded. The dynamic headroom of this amp. is not 1.5dB as i stated.I also found articles about the Power Envelope feature published by Nad.

The dynamic Headroom is +6dB and nothing else.
----------------------------------------------

About the Power Envelope :
---------------------------
The PE circuit provides a more efficient way to meet the power supply demands of music, rather then the traditional way of opening and closing to feed current from the power supply to the loudspeaker in accordance with the demands of the audio signal.
The PE employs TWO power supplies: A lower voltage supply that operates up to the amplifiers rated continous power level (In the 3300 case 2X60w) with modest heating and cost) plus a high voltage supply that provides extra power for the highest level notes and chords in music.
Although the second power supply produces twice as much power as the normal supply, it provides current only in short bursts. Consequently it doesent get hot and doesent need a massive, costly transformer.
If High power is demanded continously (by a high level test tone for instance) the high voltage supply automatically disengages and the amplifier operates only from the lower voltage supply.
PE can provide the same bursts of high voltage and current as much larger and more expensive amps, but if the PE is fed an continous high level test tone (or is overdriven by a careless listener) it automatically closes down to its rated power level to protect itself and avoid overheating.

Comment: This amp should therefore be perfect for complex and dynamic music. Classical music and any sort of acoustic music should mate well with this kind of amp.The only question mark is WHEN the PE decides to switch over to lower voltage output, in the middle of an demanding classical passage it wouldent be so good...... On the other hand its great to know that the 3300 handles all the dynamics of the CD source, eerie! It would also mean that if one would like to make the fullest use of the PE, one should invest in sensitive and big full range speakers that can handle the long term PE outbursts of 300w/channel ! And more so in 4ohms, for that extra speciell outburst of 350w+
Techno music and all music with a lot of subsonic bass and power demanding kick drums should invest in efficient speakers with a sensitivity not below 91dB o make full use of the PE feature.

Purchased At:   Blocket

Submitted by Sven a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
So,yes.I bought this machine unseen and unheard. After some research for the technical specifics of the 3300 I just had no doubt left.
12 effect-transistors (Mos Fet?) mounted to a huge internal heatsink. The cover is hot like a Krell (Be sure not to stack any gear on top of it, or the heatprotection circuit will release, sending really nasty "plopp" sounds ("Pop" sounds? "Click" sounds? "Fart" sounds?....well anyway) to your speakers, like what happend to me yesterday.
Although it is 60w/Channel in Audio Reviews product presentation, I have seen two other figures during my excursion on the net. One for 2x68w and the other 2x80. The truth is that it actually "feels" more like a 60w Nad. In other words, sufficient when you bear in mind that a Nad is capable of headroom. In the 3300 case its 1.5dB. Not bad.

My 3300 is vibrating and humming in the transformer-area. It is only audible if I listen carefully with one ear about 15cm from the cover and it is absolutely dead quiet through the speakers even when i cram the volume on full blast without source. Maybe a sign of age, afterall this baby is celebrating its 13th birthday soon.

I have seen and heard a LOT of Nad gear (Its very popular in my surroundings) and i have never ever heard of a malfunctioning Nad in any way. I have browsed every review concerning Nad amps and integrated (and there are a lot !) in Audio Review and only in ,maybe, three cases found one error, similar to all three ,there was a humming and malfunction on the left channel, and all three came straight out of the box brandnew.

More specs: Phono section selectable MM/MC with three different input kapacitant values (switch) for making the best alignment to your pickup output voltage. Pretty impressing.
Tape1 and tape2 copyfunction (copys while you are listening to other program) Parametic bas and treble boost/cut. Bass can be altered in 50,120,250 Hz and treble for 3k,6k,12k. On the downside : You can just pick one frequency each to alter.But nevertheless useful if your listening enviroment has a tricky sort of reflexion/absorbtion in some specific frequency .Everybody who knows Nad engeneering also know that their filters work without adding to much mumbo jumbo to the overall soundstage.

This machine can be bridged together with another 3300 (or the 2100, same without preamp) and then gives all the power any speaker could ask for, 2x240w... and thats continiously !
As any math-wizard already calculated, yes, the 3300 can internally be switched into 1x240. Maybe for a killer subwoofer perhaps?

The "party switch" is there. The soft clipping protecting your speakers from sinus waves that like to become DC and therefore like to kill your expensive treble speakers. Do all the cheap amplifier and dead speakers in the middle of the Party ring a bell? Even if your speakers are rated for handling 300w of music, you would be amazed what a 60w Amp can do with them, just with a slight,slight overload.It´s a matter of minutes before usually the treble gives in first.

Most important : The sound. It is beginner audiophile, period. Ive listened to a New Gryphon the other day, and it was hooked to the top of the line B&W Nautilus, together with a pricetag of 200 000 sek = appr. 20 000 dollars. I gave 120 bucks for the 3300 and I have a decent pair of speakers. I am far from being a beginner in the audio world but this 20 000 dollar setup reminded me to 90 percent of what the 3300 can produce.
The only problem is that in the case with the 3300, the choice of speakers is the most crucial part. I have the impression that todays Nads are happy with a wide rang of speakers, since the tonality is on the dark side (but detailed) there are rarely any problems even with ultrastraight frequency designed speakers.
So, the tube-like warmth that I´ve met so many times before in the newer Nad line is not so apparent here. It is a new experience for me and i like it more for every record I play.
It is probably only revealing something i´ve suspected before but no amp could confirm before, and that would be that I´m actually beginning to realize that my Philips CD-r 775 is rather on the grainy side of audio producing.Quite a shock to know that my old Garrard Record player(British) has a lot more Hi-Fidelity then my one year old Philips CD-Player! I am going for another british pearl soon for , a Cambridge Audio Cd player.
Be sure too hook up your gear carefully!
Invest in speakers that are biwirable for a start, the difference is subtle but incredibly rewarding, like adding that extra tiny bit of tonal depht, that little bit of magic that you´ve always wanted. I have done so, and sound came so sweet out from my Jazz recordings, and Bach never came with such presence.
I give it a hundred galaxies worth of stars. If you can find one or even better TWO, It would be the best bargain you´ve ever made. The preamp alone is a giant uppgrade in any mid-fi system who needs a top notch Phono amplifier. The preamp came as a stand alone unit back in 1989 (the 1300) and it received rave revieuws. The 3300 is in every respect aspiring for the entry audiophile public, as long as you remember to switch the soft clipping OFF while you´re acting the armchair conducter at normal levels and push the bypass to the tone controls IN !.
I paid 120 bucks ! This amp is one whole grade ahead from the new HK 3470 wich i´ve owned to quite recently and the Nad is almost 13 years old! (The HK cost me 380 bucks) And Im looking for another one, ohhh sweet sweet musicheaven.

Purchased At:   Blocket

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this amplifier new back in '86 or '87 and have been using it nonstop ever since. Though it has been moved about and jostled over the years, this amp has never required repairs, except for the occaisional cleaning of switches and potentiometers. It has always sounded uncolored and dynamic, never clipping even when playing quite loud. During its long tenure, I have used a few different speakers, with rated efficiencies of 88 to 90 db, and from 8 ohms down to less than 4 ohms. I currently am using Vandersteen 1c, which the NAD 3300 drives quite loudly with the volume control between 12 and 2 o'clock.

If you run across this amplifier used and in good condition, I imagine that it would be quite inexpensive and, based on my experience, would be an excellent buy, unless you like your solid-state amplification to be overly bright and edgey.

Purchased At:   Court St. Listening Room, Saginaw