NAD 312 Integrated Amplifiers

4.53/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $280.00

Integrated Amplifier - 25W x2 Channels (1996-1998)

Submitted by Arthur a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
This is the amp that started the hobby for me. My brother used it in a near field monitor setup with B&W DM100 speakers, good sound card and good cables. I liked this combo for it's enthousiastic way of delivering any kinds of music. I then bought the 314 (the same but with an extra set of speaker outputs) and used is with B&W DM110.

After 10 years I still have a 312 (the one that was my brothers) as a back up amplifier. Every time I connect it the sound surprises me. I have used numerous of higher end amplifiers that are without a doubt better than the 312, but still, the 312 delivers the musical message with confidence, and that seems to be a rare quality. 25 watt doesn't sound as much, but with plenty of current under the hood it is enough for many speakers.

For the sound; I think the quality of the 312 is that it sounds very alround. There is not much not to like here. Bass is there aplenty. Not the most tight, but it goes deep and gives the music good foundation. Top end can be slightly agressive at some times, but not to a point that it gets irritating. Mids are quite neutral. This is not an amps that is very detailed or transparant, neither does it create a very big sound stage. Like I said it is an allrounder that let's you focus on the music, and that is what matters. It suits any kind of music, but I think it's at its best for rock music. The slight agressive character is a good thing when it comes to rock.

Submitted by L_Pautola a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used this amplifier for a couple of weeks now and i've been somewhat satisfied with it. According to numbers, it doesn't deliver very much power. Although for very unsensitive speakers (84 db/w for example) this may not be enough, I wouldn't care about that. More important is the sound, this amplifier creates.

One big pro, this amplifier has, is the cleaness of the sound. Although it's a bit dark and resolution is not that good, you can totally live with it with speakers of the same pricerange. Dynamics work pretty well if you again consider about the power.

Bass is somewhat lame. Compared to some basic hometheater-amps (sony str-db840QS) it's also a bit flat. But i must strongly remind that these are microscopic differences. With speakers of the same pricerange you won't even notice this. It became accesible to me after buying my current penaudio apprentice speakers.

Mid-range is definitely the best part of this amp. It is clean and musical. Works very well even with cheap high-end speakers. Flute sounds vrey natural and soft. Piano is a bit flat, but otherwise good. Especially the beginning of a note doesn't have all the power it needs to sound natural. But then again, you need very good speakers to even notice this.

Highs sound very natural as well. Triangel has the brightness it needs. I think neutral is the best word to describe this end of the sound-scale.

Even though i have said some negative things about this amp, let's face the truth. With this price there isn't many amps that compete with this one. I personally would like to call this the cheapest high-end amplifier i've heard so far.

Unfortunately there's two big cons with this amplifier. One is the lack of remote control. Everyone knows how helpful it is, so no explanations. Other is that bass and treble controls have far too big area, those have effect to. My suggestion is that even with "low-end" speakers, you leave them alone and use that useful tone-defeat button. Besides that saves you from a lot of work from trying to find the "best" sound instead of the "natural".

So in a nutshell, if you are new into hifi, try to find this amp somewhere. It's definitely worth of every penny! And you can get a lot of use out of it even if you have pretty good speakers. It's the flagship of most budget-stereosystems.

Purchased At:   Used product

Submitted by Adriel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
First, it's too bad that the NAD 312 is discontinued now.

I'm using this integrated amplifier in a computer-based near-field (I'm 3 feet away from the speakers) desktop listening system. Although I wouldn't describe the sound as "warm" as other reviewers have, I do know the sonic character that they're talking about with regards to the NAD 312. However, to me, replacing the stock U-shaped jumpers with Pure Silver Sound Integre' jumpers eliminates this "warm" sonic character. Using those jumpers raises the price $50 and it takes a month for them to arrive, but considering it changed the NAD's sonic character flaw it was worth it.

I'm using a pair of Axiom Millennia M2ti speakers with the NAD 312, and an M-audio Delta/Audiophile 24/96 soundcard for the computer.

Submitted by Janne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I would recommend it to someone who wants maximum performance for minimun price. Don't use with too big speakers (for example Cerwin-Vega VS12)...

Purchased At:   Hifi-Klubi (Scandinavia)

Submitted by joe a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
This was my second high-end amp, which I traded from a 310 because I wanted to be able to listen LP's on my HiFi. It worked out great and the sound was beautiful. Do not buy this product if you are expecting something with a bunch of features, it only has what you need and no more. As long as you use it with a decent set on monitors it will play very loud, I noticed when I hooked up bigger speakers it still played well, just not as loud.

Purchased At:   local high end store

Phillips GA-312/ Stanton 681 EEE out of the attic

[SIZE=3]After 13 years, I got my [FONT=Courier New][FONT=Arial]Phillips GA-312/ Stanton 681 EEE out of the attic and played Emerson, Lake & Palmer. [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Update:[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]I acquired the Phillips GA-312/ Stanton 681 EEE circa 1978. I used for about 20 years. I always e ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology: