NAD 3020 Integrated Amplifiers

4.8/5 (56 Reviews) MSRP : $220.00

20 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1978-1983)

Submitted by Jarvis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2016

Bottom Line:
This is the best sounding integrated amp available to mankind. Only weak point is its very limited power, but if it's power amp section was stronger the 3020 wouldn't sound that good. His majesty Sir BEE got it perfect with this one and established NAD overnight in a hifi scene dominated by the fantastic Sansui AU and Luxman L series.
NAD intentionally degraded sound quality litle by litle in the models that followed the original 3020 namely a,b,e,i,d, etc in order to offer the best in more expensive models.
The original 3020 and in particular the floor mounted transformer model is the absolute best sounding one, and most sought after and expensive of course.
This is a very special integrated amp, not "for the money" as many say, but for any money. I will not try and describe the sound, as many have done that very well over the years. I can only say how happy I am I managed to buy 6 of these amps while they were still offered for sale. All original floor mounted transformer ones. I have tried every model that followed and tested it extensively, nothing comes close to the real thing. Many will dissagre, but only because they are owners of a model with a letter after 3020, or with a rear plated mounted transformer...
If one comes in your way, fight for it. It is as an important piece as it gets. Fantastic sound, this amp does what you dream of...

Submitted by rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2015

Bottom Line:
after listening to this gem 3020A i am convinced this is the best amp ever produced under $1000 back in the day , i bought this nad last week for $100 and is better than any marantz out there, i was floored when i heard mark knoffler s latest CD on this amp. No wonder its considered top 10 amps of all time Bass is full and deep , It delivers a full bodied sound , its natural and oh so rich and clear . good bye expensive gear and hello greatness.

Submitted by George Melendez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
What can I say but WOW!!! I've listened to some great and expensive gear in my days with all the trimmings you can think of but the NAD 3020 Integrated Amp is truly an exception to the rule. This little amp rocks the boat. My set-up was rather simple and humble, four 305 Bose speakers, a NAD tuner and a Panasonic turn table with Audio Technica pick-up, that's it. My friends with high end expensive gear went hay-wire & nuts when they would heard what was coming out of the speakers. I wish I still had this set-up. I purchased both the NAD amp & tuner for $450 in 1982 but it was stolen a few years later. If any of you guys know of anyone selling both the amp and or the tuner please contact me. Thanks and hope to hear some good news.

Thanks, George

email: melen001@hotmail.com

Submitted by Richard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought my 3020A in 1980. It served me well for many years. Then, somewhere along the line I got it into my head to upgrade to something much fancier. Since that unit is on the fritz at the moment, I decided hooked up the old NAD.

I'm amazed. The thing sounds absolutely fantastic. I don't mean "pretty good for a 300 dollar, 35 year-old amp" but, rather, good by just about any standard. I think I'll leave it where it is in the signal chain, and repurpose the beast that replaced it.

Best integrated amplifier ever.

Submitted by magster65 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
I had a 3020 in the mid 80's and moved into a 3140 in the late 80's for the additional speaker hookup... yes, I still have it. I have the matching 4020 fm tuner and 6140 cassette deck too. I had a Rega 3 turntable - Grace arm - Nagatron cartridge (wish I still had that). I made countless tapes for many years! NAD equipment is great stuff and I'm keeping it for life!