Musical Fidelity XA-2 Integrated Amplifiers

4.69/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

75 watts/channel integrated amplifier

Submitted by totomatic a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
A belter of an amp! Smooth and detailed highs, great midrange, ample lows. Can drive most speakers to high sound pressure levels without strain!

Submitted by Diogo Fig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Having acquired it 4 days ago, I've only just begun to listen to this little amp.All I can say is there's nothing "little" about it...for the price paid,this is one GREAT product.Right out of the box,one gets:phenomenal dynamics, strong speaker-driving abilities,beautiful soundstaging,gloriously envolving sound and a UNIQUE look...it is truly an OUTSTANDING integrated amp. Quoting a notorious magazine: a chip off the old-Musical Fidelity-block.
Maybe vocals could be just a touch clearer...no,I'm not being fair...for that,one will have to go up the MF ladder onto higher product ranges (A series,Nuvistor,Trivistor, etc.)

Submitted by Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just bought this because the wife objects to the monsterous Magnum A200 monoblock power amps. These babies kicked out serious amps and I never managed to get them warm. I used them in conjunction with a x-pre, with which I was very impressed.
The wife was happy with the cute silver styling and blue LED in preference to the 3.5 stone coffins (each!)
I wasn't expecting the x-a2 to get near the Magnums in terms of delivery but it makes a fine effort. There's a lot of power on tap - well enough to annoy the neighbours. Not as clinical or punchy as I expected but a fine interpretation in musical terms.
The Magnums cost £2000, so what was I expecting! I will miss the x-pre (supreme valve amp).
In short, for £275 (£499 retail) you can't go wrong. Shame MF have discontinued them. Hopefully it will be replaced with sometihing equally as musical and visually pleasing

Purchased At:   Sound Academy UK

Submitted by Iain_Delaney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp is amazing. I listen almost exclusively to metal (my theory is that if you're going to play music, you may as well use a guitar. If you use a guitar, you may as well use an electric one. If you use an electric guitar, you may as well use it at full volume. If its at full volume, you may as well add some distortion etc.etc.) and this is the only amp I've heard anywhere near its price that allows you to isolate each different instrument from the distorted wall of sound that greets you as soon as you press play.
It also goes VERY loud without distorting - very important for metal. My speakers cones' start running out of travel way before there is any hint of distortion (well, distortion that wasn't recorded in with the music)!
On the occassion I play something a bit more melodic and quieter, this amp really comes into its own It produces a soundfield of such depth, space and clarity that its impossible to describe. Take a listen to Radioheads 'OK Computer' through this amp an experience it for yourself.

Plus, does anything in hi-fi look anywhere near as gourgeous/sexy/modern/cool as the X-series?

I only have one criticism of this amp - it it bass light. I've gone from bookshelf speakers (Mission 780's) to larger standmount speakers (B&W DM 602 s3) and finally to floorstanders (Acoustic Energy Aegis 3), which with any other amp have a very forward bass.
With my X-A2, however, they sound absolutely amazing.

Also, it can get *very* hot, so use it with a bit of air around it.

Now I know why I've spent over £1500 on my hi-fi - the reason is there every time I play a disc.

My system:

Marantz CD6000ose cd player
Musical Fidelity X-24k DAC
Acoustic Energy Aegis3 speakers
Chord company cables

Submitted by Graham Langley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been a fan of MF equipment for sometime now. I bought this amp based on reviews I had read and didn't even bother with a listening test. My source is their FCD player and I use van den Hul the Second i/c and Townshend Isolda speaker cable with Triangle Zephyr Mk1's.

My system sounds ever so "high end" and this is with a £500 amplifier. Enough said.

Purchased At:   Sevenoaks HiFi