Musical Fidelity B1 Integrated Amplifiers

• Phono MM: 2mV
  • Line inputs & Sensitivity: 200mV CD, Tuner, CDV, Tape 1, Tape 2

Submitted by nc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
i am from india. saw the many reviews of the mf b1 and so bought one from ebay.co.uk and had it shipped. i tried it with a few speakers - pinnacle quantums, b&w lm1 and sonus faber concertino. it sounded dead. an electronics repair guy took a look inside and told me that it has not been used for a while and so it would improve upon use. so i had it hooked up to the sonus fabers and persevered. after a month or so of listening atleast a couple of hours daily, it suddenly woke up. warmth, liquid midrange, musical bass, detail i have never heard before - you can even hear the emotion/spirit in the voice of the singer. this is not a musical equipment - but a musical instrument!

and if it is like this with the sonus fabers which are hard to drive speakers, i would think it would work even better with speakers easier to drive. it sells for like 80 pounds on ebay uk and so it is great vfm. but it is kind of fragile with plastic sides. so if you have it shipped make sure the seller packs it really well.

Submitted by 13oots2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
Saw one of these for a very reasonable price of £100+P&P, so grabbed it for comparison with a NAD 3120 that had been upgraded by Fidele Audio.

The build quality is quite good but uses a fair bit of plastic in the construction, which loses the B1 one star.

The NAD is a nice warm sounding amp but switching to the B1 made me realise just how much detail I was missing. There is better control of bass and instrument separation is amazing, the NAD has a more powerful bass but far less control and sounds muddy in comparison.

Considering the NAD with upgrade comes to over double the cost of the B1 I would have expected it to be better in most respects. The B1 simply excels in every department of the sound and even has a half decent MC/MM pre for your turntable.

Harder to find than NAD 3020 but if you see one grab it, it may just pleasantly suprise you!

Submitted by Johnny Gee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought my B1 15yrs ago through the small ads and it's still going strong, infact i'm looking to buy another for a second system. Don't be put off by 35watts, thru my celestion ditton 442s it's never been passed midnight on the volume dial and the windows shake!! It is not quiet in my book!! Unless your living room is the size of a swimming pool and have no neighbours you won't find the volume lacking. I have listened to many other newer systems and far more expensive kit and nothing has made me want to part with this amp. You can get them on ebay for less than £100 and they will blow away modern £500-£600 pound amps. It made me buy the eqivalent MF CD1 then T1, I paid a lot less than people pay for a "high street all in one flashing light system" and it blows people away when i turn it up.

Purchased At:   small ads

Submitted by dharmasteve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is almost 20 years retrospective

This B1 amp is still working away in my daughters house powering some pensionable Tannoy Mercury speakers. The only reason I replaced it was it had no remote control. Since then i've had an Arcam 8R, an NAD, an Marantz 7200 and now a Musical Fidelity X-80. I loved my Arcam, the Marantz was too polite. My B1 is aggressive and naughty, but really plays. The B1 though was as good as all of these. Bass was further forwards in the soundstage as were vocals. My old Tannoys were really big standmounts. Maybe a bit slow, but really musical and the bass was unbeatable. Recently I saw a review really attacking Musical Fidelity. That review is only sour grapes. MF are probably the most consistent of all manufacturers and I have only had good experirences with their products> The B1 holds its own to this day. Well done MF

Submitted by edphipps a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought the Musical Fidelity B1 almost by accident (early days on eBay!) while shopping for my daughter's first hifi amp. I tried it in place of my Mission Cyrus Two and was astounded how much more musical the B1 was - a really pleasant shock!

I know it sounds corny, but it's what we're all after - suddenly I wasn't listening to a CD, I was listening to music - at the concert. Singers convey real emotion, instruments sound like instruments (not just musical noises). I sold the Cyrus Two (to someone with a PSX which is meant to improve them considerably) and he seemed happy.

Perhaps it's system matching - I was using a Sony XB930QS as source, and listening on Castle Severn 2SE speakers. Typical material is female vocal (Sarah McLauchlin, Alisha's Attic), prog rock, some pop, some classical.

It doesn't go very loud, the bass is probably a bit lacking, but it's just so realistic. It's currently in my second system having been displaced by a Luminous Audio passive preamp and 2 xRotel RB951 power amps costing 4 times as much, also from eBay, but I'm beginning to wonder if I was right... bass is better, but the whole thing is less involving.

Purchased At:   eBay

Sony TA-A571 with Athena AS-B1 ??

Hello, I'm a newbie here. I'm considering getting a new pair of bookshelf speakers for my bedroom, I'll probably get Athena As-B1 since it's cheap and it has good reviews. However, I don't own an amp, so I found a working Sony TA-A571 in the attic left by my former roommate, is it OK in terms of so ... Read More »

Athena AS-B1 is one sale for $89 (pair) at bestbuy.

This is almost half off the regular price of $154.98. With glowing reviews this speaker got from reputable magazines, this sound like hell of a deal. But availability might be questionable as it said on the web site that Item is currently on backorder, and not available in stores. Click on "Add t ... Read More »

Help, I need AS-B1 rear speaker advice!

Hi everyone, I need your help and advice. Years ago I bought a Kenwood 504 Home theater system with the vr-507 receiver, 5 speakers and a subwoofer. Over the last few years I have been able to upgrade the system with better speaker wire and speakers. I purchased Athena As-F2s for the fronts ... Read More »

Premier Mounts: