Musical Fidelity A300 Integrated Amplifiers

4.73/5 (41 Reviews) MSRP : $1695.00

150W per channel at 8 ohms or 250W per channel at 4 ohms. Separate power supplies for the amplifier and preamplifier sections. Separate power transformers for each channel.

Submitted by Gary a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
My previous system was a Conrad Johnson preamp (10a) with a B&K Sonata Power amp, B&W 640s, and a Klipsch powered dual 15" subwoofer. I bought them all off a guy for $1,500...the sub alone retailed for $900, so I was very lucky. Each other item was over $1,000 new.

This system just killed (I also used a Classe' preamp, but preferred the CJ), I had never heard anything like it. I had to sell the CJ, B&K, and Classe', but kept the B&Ws and Klipsch sub. Recently I replaced it with a Musical Fidelity A3 Integrated Amp. The CJ/B&K combo was amazing. The A3 blew my mind. (Actually jaw-dropping). And I'm using a fairly cheap Harman Kardan cd player (can't wait to get a nice dc player, and can't imagine music sounding any better than it does...but I've been assured it will).

I have bought, auditioned, and returned a ton of used equipment, which was all "audiophile" stuff (ie. Meridian, Classe', conrad johnson, etc.), and the Musical fidelity A3 has by far blown everything else away. I can't stress how important matching the right speakers to your amplifier is. I hated Martin Logans, Ushers, and Klipsch Floor Speakers (not hated, but they were WAY outclassed by the B&Ws). Everyone has their own taste. I've heard people say the B&W DM640s are bass heavy,,,and I use the with a 150Watt powered dual 15' sub, which I greatly prefer!!

That being said, I cannot comment highly enough about the Musical Fidelity A3 Amp. One review I read hit it dead on: It is very clear, sweet sounding, great soundstaging, and EXTREMELY musical, but it has a unique (to me) intangible: It is lively! The music has energy which the Conrad Johnson/B&K (and everything I've heard) just can't approach. With B&Ws and a great Klipsch sub, I can't beieve what I got. Zeppelin music that i've listened to for 20 years (and thought that I was just "burned out" over) has literally sent chills down my spine as I "discovered" them on the A3. I cannot believe how much "more" they had to offer with just a different Amp (and the Conrad Johnson B&K combo was not a 'slouch' by any means...utterly blowing them away for $600, or for $2,600 for that matter, still has me shocked...I thought they were about as good as a setup as anything short of BIG money gear).

My friend went out and bought an A3 pre-amp/power amp combo after hearing mine (and B&W DM640s...the copycat!). I want to note that the MF power ratings seem absurdly conversative. His 120 watt amp seems at least twice as powerful (and infinitly better) than the Hafler 250 Watt power amp he replaced.

This is the only eview I have ever written. To anyone who wants a system that brings the :magic: out of music, listen to a Musical Fidelity amp. I haven't heard anything like it in my life. Just listen to one...you'll get it.

Purchased At:   Saturdayaudio exchan

Submitted by theforerunner a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is my second go round with the A300 as I owned one a few years ago. It was actually my first high end amp and after many different pieces of equipment including the Sim I5 and the Pathos Classic One V2 I bought this again. It works extremely well with my ProAc Tablette 50's. It is a lively performer and I like the phono stage. I replaced the Pathos with this because I wanted the phono stage having remembered how well it went with my Rega turntable. And after selling the Pathos and putting the MF A300 in the system, I discovered the difference between the 70wpc of the Pathos and the 150wpc of the A300. The Pathos would run out of steam at moderately higher listening levels than the MF A300. The A300 is a bit more forward but it sounds really good in my set up. The Pathos was a great amp for quiet late night listening but I don't miss it. At the prices you can get an A300 on Audiogon for nowadays you really can't miss. I hope to be able to purchase a pair of Dynaudio 1.3's soon . Right before I sold my first A300 i heard this combination and I thought it was magic.

Submitted by george a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is my second go round with the A300. I am replacing a Pathos Classic One v2 that I sold. The Pathos was really good but it does run out of steam with only 70 watts. It's not even that I listen all that loud but the MF A300 is definately a livelier performer. At the price these are going for on Audiogon now, you can't go wrong . I like the phono stage. The amp performs well with my ProAc Tablette 50's. It can be a tad forward with them and I hope to pair it with some Dynaudio 1.3's shortly. I highly recommended this piece at it's original price of 1500 and now at it's current prices on Audiogon, you can't miss.

Submitted by Nick_Foxx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had very high expectations for the Musical Fidelity A300, which was at the time the most expensive used piece of equipment I had ever purchased. Initially, I was quite upset with the way my NHT ST-4's sounded when driven by the A300, but after about 4-5 months of listening, I have grown accustomed to the A300's idiosyncratic sound. The most apt description of this sound is, in the words of a previous reviewer, "warm at the expense of detail." The A300, at least for me, took a lot of getting used to, and I still can't say I'm not slightly disappointed. However, I have had a lot of moments where I have genuinely enjoyed the large expansive soundstage the A300 creates. If you like very big and warm non-clinical sound with a lot of bass (and I mean a LOT of bass), then the A300 may be for you.

For value, I gave this 4 stars because of the relatively low price I paid for this. At MSRP, I would give this 3 stars.

Overall, I gave the product 3 stars as I feel the particular "sound" of the A300 may not be appealing to a lot of listeners who like detail.

Submitted by Yarvis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for the A3.2 integrated amp. I purchased this amp less than a month ago. (I was given the green light from my wife) Anyway like the other reviews I have left here, I will start off by saying that the dealer I bought from was a class act all the way. (I have been VERY fortunate that I am dealing with such patient and understanding people in this hobby so far. Kudos to the staff and owner of Audio Connection)
I have sold my Marantz PM 7000 integrated to supplement the cost of this amp. While $1400 might not be a lot of money to a lot of people in this hobby, $1400 is a mortgage payment and then some for me. So I don't take spending money like this lightly. When I spend money like this, I want the product to just blow me away. (and luckily, this amp does that so far) The A3.2 is my second foray into hi end sound. If I thought that the Marantz amp I was using was musical, this amp just blows the Marantz away! I actually look forward to coming home, slipping into the old comfy slippers, making a light drink and just sitting on the couch to listen to my girls wail away. Ella Fitzgerald, Sade and Jewel. I would include Basia into the mix, but her CD's are'nt well recorded at all, even though she can sing.
This amp has a cleaner sound without a doubt. My son, (who is 14) told me the other night how much cleaner and clear it sounds. Now that is coming from a kid who likes to listen to Rap crap. (no offense, I come from The Bronx, where rap was invented)
Highs and lows are right on target. If I had to give a negative it would have to be in the mid range. While it is there, it just doesn't stand out as in the highs and lows. That doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing. I also have been told that the amp needs a good 150-200 hours of break in. If I had to guess, I have less than a true 20-30 hours so I am more than confident that the amp will come into it's own. Overall I am very happy with the amp. It looks great in my Salamander rack. I'm using a NAD 541i cd player and feel that I might be missing something by not upgrading that unit to the MF CD player. (I just can't justify spending another $1100-1200 for a CD player, this early and soon after the holidays)

Purchased At:   Audio Connection, Ve

matching speaker watt rattings with Musical Fidelity A300

I want to purchase the musical fidelity a300 integrated amp. From what I understand the power watt ratings of the a300 is 150watts per channel. All the bookshelf speakers I am considering have a recommended ratting of 20watt - 120watts. Will I be able to use a floorstanding speaker like the monitor ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology :