Music Hall A25.2 Integrated Amplifiers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $540.00

• 50 watt/channel amplifier
  • High quality toroidal transformer
  • Specially designed low-noise pre-amp section
  • Pre-amp out/Subwoofer connection
  • Detachable power cord

Submitted by wkas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
It is what it is - a very basic, bare bones integrated that plays exactly what you feed into it - exactly what i wanted. No tone controls, no balance controls.

In combination with my speakers (Dali Ikon 6's), the sound is forward, with lots of presence and excellent soundstaging. No coloration whatsoever, and wonderful clarity and honest. Voices sound exactly like they're supposed to, as do instruments. Some would, however, consider the sound a little bright (this is certainly brighter than the Outlaw RR2150 that I replaced). The sound of the RR2150 was perhaps a little bit warmer, but not nearly as clear. The A25.2 has plenty of power for the Dali's, but they're pretty efficient and it's a small room.

A word about the remote. Although it isn't particularly robust, and looks a little bit cheesy, it does what it is supposed to do, and unlike the Outlaw, there are adequate steps at the low end of the scale so that one can find a comfortable listening level, whether using the knob on the amp or the remote control. That may be partially a function of the power ratings (50 W/ch for the A25.2 vs. 100 W/Ch for the Outlaw, but I think that it's a design thing, too.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Cee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Bottom Line:

Unlike purist audiophiles, I am not excited by incremental improvements. I want a large improvement and I want it to be cheap. Over the course of four years, I have slowly built up my modest ~$3k system. I occasionally go into high-end audio stores with CDs and listen to what I'm missing (which isn't a lot anymore) and try new products when I get the chance (If you haven't tried attenuators from your CD player to your amp, you're missing out). Of all the improvements I have made, this is BY FAR the best.

My previous amp, the Arcam A65 plus, I had thought was doing well. I was looking for what to upgrade next in my system and didn't think the amp was the weak point. At first I tried some CD players but the cost wasn't justifying the improvement they were making. I read the reviews here for the Music Hall A25.2, and did indeed go for the "test drive" the other reviewers suggested from AudioAdvisor.

There was no comparison. I had no idea that the harsh, rolled off highs were a result of the amplifier. I had assumed the CD player was to blame. I was hearing high frequency content in albums like Radiohead I had never heard before. The midrange, which I had thought was spot on, became like silk. CDs of Norah Jone's and Peter Gabriel's were just awesome to listen too, extremely involving. What the other reviewers say about the amp being musical is true. Also, I do like the look of this amp.

For potential problems, the bass doesn't seem deep enough. I've always been missing that last 10 Hz. However, I think that may be because of my speakers or CD player and not this amp. To the Arcam's credit, it was fast. High and low-frequency notes came noticeably quicker on music like Aphex Twin. But dwelling on it now, I don't think I miss it. This amp also has the potential to be a little more in your face. However, installing high-quality attenuators between the CD player and the amp took care of this problem.

This is a wonderful amp at the price. If you are looking for an amp in the $1k or less range, go to audioadvisor and try this puppy out.

Setup:
B&W 604 S3 speakers
Music Hall A25.2 amp
Denon DVD-2200 universal player (I can't wait to have $1-2k to upgrade this, the scanning buttons are completely bizare)
Monster HTS 2500 II power conditioner

Golden Jacks 10 dB Attenuators

Purchased At:   audioadvisor.com

Submitted by sappysappyman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
My budget narrowed my integrated amp choices down to Music Hall a25.2, NAD C320BEE, and Marantz PM7200. Of the three, the Music Hall is by far the best choice, Marantz is second, and the NAD third.

The a25.2 is a serious amp. It weighs about 21 lbs due to it’s massive power supply and can handle 2 ohm speakers. Its got a pre-out for a sub, but no input for an external pre-amp. There are no tone controls (which scared me at first- but I realized I never use them anyway) and a digitally controlled volume (it steps from 0-80). The digital control is great since you don’t get a hum from a cheap volume motor and the volume can be easily adjusted with the remote. There is only one set of speaker terminals. The amp runs super cool even when playing for 12 hours at moderate volume.

The Music Hall delivers nice clean bass, detailed mids, and great highs. When listening to the a25.2 on my Infinity Beta 50s (similar to Revel F12) the level of detail was stunning. I could definitely hear things in my music that could not be heard before. The mids are so solid its amazing. Vocals sound lifelike and crisp. Also, the bass is stunning, it makes my Infinities with their dual 8” woofers deliver more than an adequate amount of bass.

The Marantz PM7200 is a decent amp, but it runs way too hot for my taste (you can find this amp for $450). I’d be afraid that it cook all the circuit boards after about 2 years! (the length of its warranty). I also think it’s got a cheap power supply. The NAD is certainly better than an A/V receiver, but I think the bass is a little weak and it makes male vocals sound a bit chesty (you can find this amp for $380). Yes, the music Hall a25.2 is more expensive than both (you can find it for $540 if you search the internet), but it’s worth it.

Purchased At:   internet dealer

Submitted by blib blob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2006

Purchased At:   Audioadvisor.com

Music Hall A25.2 - Monitor Audio Silver RS6 ?

I've just purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers. Now I'm trying to pick a cheap integrated amplifier (my budget is around 500US). At first, I thought I would go for the NAD C352 but since I may not need much power, my local store recommended the NAD 325BEE (or even the old 320BEE). A ... Read More »

Award-Winning Axiom: