Mark Levinson No. 383
Description: Mark Levison Integrated Amplifer. 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms 200 watts per channel at 4 ohms Balance and single ended inputs and outputs. Remote included.

Submitted by vijay v. patel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
Mark Levinson 383 is the only int. amp. from this company, and they have got it right the first time. The amp. is very well designed aesthetically , and is a conversation piece. More of an art deco design.
The build quality and feel of the amp. is top class, has a very nice remote carved out of a solid block of aluminium, The control knobs are one of a kind in the industry. you will have a lots of people touching them.
I am not good at describing sound, let the reviewers do that, but I will try here.The sound is very impressive, it does not improve or highlight any one thing but the whole presentation is improved upon. You won't be able to appriciate it unless you listen to any other decent comparable amp. from makers like krell, plinius, mcintosh, accuphase, bryston, ......... after listening to the 383 for a long time. Only then will you come to know what is missing in the sound of the other amps.
The sound is very transparent, the imaging is perfecto.... the tone is slightly on the warmer side of neutral and the amp. is reasonably powerful. (not for speakers going below 4 ohms) saying that it can drive almost any speakers to high listening levels without getting stressed.

Submitted by bjorn_mikkelsen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Having had several SS amps and some tube amps I was longing for a maintenance free and user-friendly integrated amplifier with the delicate sweet sound from tubes and the bass controll from SS. After having auditioned several integrated solid state amps I was amazed by the sonic subtlety of ML 383 which is outstanding. Until now I have never heard a solid state amp sounding so sweet, clear, unstressed and open in the treble and midrange. Sopranos and strings sound so natural, relaxed, pinpointed and easy to the ear - no ice picks on the eardrums evan at high . The ML 383 ended some years of seeking the ultimate amplifier. It deserves to be partnered with the best signal sources, cables and loudspeakers.

Submitted by cky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
Mark 383
Current system -

Amp - Mark 383
CDP - Meridian 507
Speaker - B&W N805
Tuner - Dynalab MD90
RCA - Au24
Speaker cable - Cello string 3

***********************************************************
Need a view or comment from a Mark 383 user here regarding something I suspected a performance prooblem from my Mark 383 int amp.

coincidently, when I clean up the dust I hear some noticeable noise generated from the tweeter of my speaker (both speaker),
"at that time the power was switched on and the standby was turned off,the volume truned to O and no source input"
The noise are also combined with a "di di di di" sound, which so much like the sound generated from a desktop quartz clock.

At that time I was suspected the noise was caused by the input either from my CDP or tuner, then I unplugged all the input, but the noise still there. then I switched the amp's power cord which directly from wall to my AC filter,,, too bad the noise still there.

after a while I believe that something which is beyond my knowledge then I called up my friend, then he advised that many of the amp especially int amp have this sort of problem but he never heard about the "di di di di" sound.

At last I called up the local authorized Mark distributor here in HK and they refered me to their maintenance dept. the gentlemen told me that the noise is normal and most of the amp no matter int or pre and power have this situation too, then I asked what about the "di di di di" sound, he replied that the "di di di di" sound is generated from a "clock" and its normal. Later on I talked to my freind regarding the explaination, and he guessed that the "clock" might refer to a remote control component inside of the amp.
But why the "di di di di" sound is only found on the left channel???

Thank you very much your time in reading this and if possible please give me some view on this.

Many thanks!
***********************************************************

Purchased At:   second had shop

Submitted by rikyman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2004

Bottom Line:
I love this amp, but 18 months ago the amp stop responding with the error HIGH LINE on display, and in warrantie was to repair, it took 14 months for a solluction from Mark Levinson to arrive, that was a substitute board, man 14 months is lot to make a repair or substitute a logical board, in the beggining of 2005 it will be back in my home again, but my afraid is, if it brokes again will I have to whait another year and a half for them to repair their products...

Very bad support for your products Mark Lenvinson, you must have more respect and consideration for the ones that beleive your products...

Purchased At:   Interlux

Submitted by arobot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
This amp developed a hiss in the left channel shortly after purchase. Not long thereafter, the hiss was accompanied by an electrical "crackle" on toggle of the power switch (duration 1-2 seconds).
I lived with this condition for about two years, all the while intending to send it in for service "soon". The obstacle was the pain in the a** factor of packaging and shipping a nearly 100lb box, not to mention the quoted "four week" turn-around time.
Finally, one day I turned on my amp and nothing happened- dead- finally I had to send it in.
About two months since shipping, I'm still without my amp. When I call, I get the same answer- "waiting on parts". On two separate occasions, the service person promised to "research" the status and call me back- on neither occasion did they do so.
Most recently (today) I am told that maybe they'll be able to ship it in another two weeks (but no promises).
IMHO, equipment at this price point and above is well beyond the point of diminishing returns in the area of sound quality. We justify the price of components such as these based more on asthetics, name, and presumably quality of construction and service, rather than any incremental improvement in sound quality they may offer over other significantly cheaper products.
With the above in mind, I cannot recommend this unit.