Marantz PM7200 Integrated Amplifiers

4.6/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

• 95 watts per channel power output (into 8 ohms)
  • 155 watts per channel (into 4 ohms)
  • 25 watts pure class A operation
  • HDAM (High Definition Amplifier Module) fully discrete copper-shielded output stage
  • Premium-quality parts and construction for superb sound quality
  • Seven source inputs including moving magnet (MM) phono input
  • Remote control operation including volume adjustment

Submitted by Carlo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
I own this amp for 5 years. I can say that I've tried many very expensive amplifier beams, but never ever would change the Marantz PM7200. It 'absolutely unbeatable as a unit stamp and airiness. The low cost is not at all associated with the quality. Evidently, many still have not realized the unbeatable quality of this amp. Will surely rise in price over the years and to be sure not to be found for the fact that no one will dare to sell it. One advice! If you happen find one not fatevelo escape!!

Submitted by casablanca1969 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought it used set for USD250. It's truly worth as you can play with the class A and class AB within a switch button. It is a very good set for the beginner and for me with Krell, Mark and Pass Labs owner, I cannot resist to buy one when I got the first listening....It can compete with any amp costing twice as much, and even surpass them.

At that price, the sound , control , dynamics are worth every penny spent. It's a pity that Marantz didn't continue with the A and AB in their latter models.

Submitted by vmed_cha_gr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
Amazing sound for the money.

Submitted by John Coltrane a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
The PM7200 is one of the best kept secrets in audio of the last decade. This well-made integrated amp has never ceased to amaze me since I purchased it new five years ago. In Class A, the music takes on a watery, tube-like sound and still provides plenty of solid state bass slam. The PM7200 puts out 25 watts of power in Class A mode and 95 watts in Class AB. It has a source direct option, as well as a highly resolving moving magnet phono stage. One would have to spend more than $4,000 dollars to find anything comparable to the Marantz PM7200 on today's market. It is a true budget beater and an audiophile's delight.

Submitted by Bubba45 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had this amp for just about 5 years now and I have never regretted buying it for one minute of that time. I have a modest system so I could never describe myself as an audiophile - Pink triangle PT1, Mission 774SM arm, Denon DL160 cart; Cambridge Audio 640P preamp, Marantz CD5400; Wharefdale Diamond 9.1 speakers. I listen to music every given minute that I can from when I wake to when I sleep and mainly vinyl though I do have as many CD`s as LP`s.
When buying his I had planned with several dealers to audition a few amp & cd player combinations - Cambridge Audio, NAD, Rotel and a couple of others.
This was the 1st and only one I listened to because I was just blown away initially by it`s looks and build quality but obviously overwhelmingly by it`s sound.
It is detailed, warm and musical.
It gives a lovely sense of soundstaging to any music with a clear and precise ability to give each instrument / voice / sample / rythm etc their own postion / space and at the same time tie them all together in a very balanced and coherent way.
It is almost delicate in the way it picks out detail and nuances in the music and draws these into the room but it is never bright, fragile or muddied and I have never yet found a track or style of music that the Marantz makes me weary of listening to.
A gent with a £10,000 NAIM / Linn system came round for a listen a few days ago and loved the sound and virtually every person no matter what they have at home has always loved the music it plays for them. Having heard all sorts of combinations of amps, preamps, power amps, speakers, TT`s etc this is the one amp that I would always want as the centre of my system.

In answer to the criticisms I have read of this amp:

1. No `attack`and becomes muddied at volumes at over 2 O`clock.
Maybe, and if I was running a bar or having numerous parties or wanting to blast my neighbours into submission then that woul be an issue. But I`m not. Like most people I live in an ordinary neighbourhood and turning the volume up to 12 or even 1 is enough. The sound is still quality.

2. No difference between Class 'A' and Class 'A/B'.
Rubbish. there is a clear difference and if anything it is more musical, delicate, detailed and at the same time stronger and refined than Class 'AB'.

3. The sound is 'coloured' / altered by the amp and it therefore has a reduced neutrality.
ALL hifi components influence the final sound that comes out the speakers. The pursuit of 'tonal neutrality`that replicates the original master tapes is folly, a fools errand and as big a waste of time as trying to use the Davinci Code to locate the Holy Grail. The PM7200 has a very refined, lovely, involving sound.

4. It runs too hot / hums.
It runs warm. Leave 2 inches clearnce over the top vents and its fine. There is a hum. If you turn the sound off, close all the doors and windows, and sit silently about 8 inches away from the amp you`ll hear it. However back in the real world where we use amps to listen to music you won`t hear the hum.

So if you are looking for an excellent quality amp for a home system then get a marantz PM7200 second hand becase you won`t regret it one bit. Wonderful. Can`t be faulted in the real world.

Marantz PM7200

What is the general concensus on this amp? I've read online that it is warm but not very dynamic or fast. Also, will it be able to drive 4 ohm / 87dB speakers?Read More »

Comparisons: NAD 320bee, Marantz PM7200, H/K 3480

The title says it all. Any thoughts on this comparison, for a 2-channel system? Speakers are 20+ year old JBLs that are still going strong, sensitivity of 89dB. I like the idea of the integrateds, but like the convenience of a built-in tuner in the H/K stereo receiver.Read More »

Sennheiser: