Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amplifiers

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

• SA-CD playback
  • Customized components
  • Dedicated power supply
  • Dedicated top quality headphone circuitry
  • Current-buffer amp

Submitted by texnutter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
Quite often you get an amp that does one thing very well and nothing else. The PM7001 serves my SA7001 very well. Plug in any source and the sound is refined including that from my Sony MDS-JB980.

Funny how things go. I was going to get rid of my Sony MDS-JB980. Thank god I didn't because the PM7001 captures the music from my minidisc like no other amp has done.

I don't get the punchiness of the bass that I used to get from my old Kenwood amp. But I don't think I miss it that much. The kenwood was a wild care free amp.

I like look and simplicity of the PM7001. I can never understand why Marantz ditched this simple plain facia for the current one with bridges and benches. One thing for sure I will not be rushing to the Hi Fi shop for another amp for a while.

For living room listening this is a superb amp.

Submitted by Wlmitch1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
The Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amplifier is the best stereo amplifier I have owned to date. I purchased it as part of a matched set, which includes the Marantz PM7001, a Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player, and a Marantz ST7001 AM/FM/XM Stereo Tuner. Two months later, I purchased a "B" stock Marantz PMD505 dual-well cassette deck. One month after that, I purchased a pair of 1986 vintage Marantz SP-1200 12" 3-way speakers in new condition in their original packaging. The PM7001 produces the same warm - albeit cleaner - sound as the 1970s vintage Marantz Model 1152DC Stereo Integrated Amplifier. The VOLUME control produces the same sound pressure levels at the same volume settings as the Model 1152DC. I auditioned an 1152DC on a pair of Marantz HD-770 12" 4-way speakers when I was 18 years old back in 1978, but could not afford to purchase either of them at the time. Presently, I have a vintage Marantz system consisting of a Model 2265 Stereophonic Receiver, a Model 6200 Turntable, a Model 5220 Cassette Recorder, and a pair of HD-770 speakers. To be fair, I have used the PM7001 with the HD-770s to compare it to the sound I remembered coming from them on the 1152DC back in 1978. The PM7001 sounds as warm, but slightly cleaner. The SP-1200s are used almost exclusively with the PM7001. However, I also used them with my 2265 receiver to see how they sound on it. Again, the PM7001 sounded as warm, but slightly cleaner. I then ran the comparisons between the between the HD-770s and the SP-1200s on both the PM7001 and the 2265 after removing the Vari-Q plugs from the HD-770s because the SP-1200s are ported bass reflex speakers. For some reason, the SP-1200s seem to have a bit more clarity than the HD-770s on both the 2265 and the PM7001, even though the HD-770s are better built and all of their components are working properly.

I am not concerned about the lack of an LED lamp on the VOLUME control as the deep, creased, elliptical indentation in it seems to sufficiently indicate the volume level, even in dim light. The PM7001's only drawbacks that it lacks SWITCHED/UNSWITCHED electrical outlets on the rear panel (the Marantz PM7000 Integrated Amplifier has them), and has a combined DVD/AUX setting on the front selector control and rear input jacks instead of separate DVD and AUX settings. The MM PHONO input is very convenient as I do occasionally listen to vinyl records. Some vinyl recordings, and many Bakelite (78 RPM) recordings, are not available on CD or cassette. I use my PC as its primary recorder and, occasionally, my cassette deck as its secondary recorder. The electronic BASS and TREBLE controls are accurate enough that a LOUDNESS contour, which boosts BASS and TREBLE at low listening levels, is not needed. The active filtering on the PM7001 negates any need for, and is much more accurate than, LOW and HIGH FILTERS. Therefore, this unit has neither a LOUDNESS contour nor LOW and HIGH FILTERS. The 2265 receiver, the 1152DC amplifier, and other vintage analog receivers and amplifiers, have them because they need them. I find the detailed RECORD SELECTOR control on the front panel of the PM7001 to be very useful. Sadly, this feature was deleted from the newer Marantz PM8003 Integrated Amplifier. The SOURCE DIRECT and 1-SPEAKERS-2 push-button controls on the PM7001 are also very useful. The HEADPHONES jack on the front panel makes private listening easy. The champagne-colored chrome SOURCE INDICATOR dial adds a touch of class, and, along with the free-turning SOURCE INDICATOR knob with click-detentes, is quite handy.

The blue vertical rectangle near the center of the metal faceplate, which illuminates brightly when the unit is powered on, is a strong reminder that the PM7001 Integrated Amplifier is a Marantz through and through. And like its 1970s vintage ancestors, it is very sturdy, but not quite as heavy. The PM7001 weighs 23.1 lbs, and is conservatively rated at 70 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohms, 100 watts RMS per channel @ 4 ohms, both channels driven from 20-20,000Hz @ < 0.02% Total Harmonic Distortion. Its Damping Factor is 100 from 20-20,000Hz @ 8 ohms. It easily outperforms all of today's so-called 800 watt surround receivers and amps of other brands I have personally auditioned at some of the retail superstores. The PM7001 amplifier slightly outperforms the 1977 vintage 2265 receiver, which is conservatively rated at 65 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohms, 85 watts per channel @ 4 ohms, both channels driven from 20-20,000Hz @ < 0.08% Total Harmonic Distortion, with a Damping Factor of 55 @ 20Hz.

Overall, I would rate the Marantz PM7001 Stereo Integrated Amplifier at 4.75 out of 5, or 9.5 out of 10.

One serious complaint I have about Marantz in general, is that the company no longer manufactures any full-range hi-fi stereo speaker systems or headphones of any kind or quality. Marantz really should start manufacturing high quality full-range stereo speaker systems and headphones again. The company is most certainly capable of doing so, and doing it well.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by SC12 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
For the money this is one of the best sounding integrated amps you can buy. It is very solidly built and well designed for a $650 integrated amp. Some interesting features are the input buffer circuit on the gold plated CD input which essentially allows for higher signal to noise ratio and channel separation on the CD input. I really think this integrated was made to be paired with the great sounding Marantz SA8001 SACD player which has a frequency response of 2hz - 50kz and dynamic range of 112db when playing SACD's. The special CD input on the integrated can handle the extra bandwidth. Also the chassis are exactly the same size and style. Fit and finish is very good and the only ergonomic grip I have is with the volume control. First, and this is nit picking, there is no light on the volume knob to let you know where the volume is set at. Second, using the remote, when you give the volume up or down a quick single press the volume ramps up or down several steps. I would have preferred a volume adjustment with smaller increments of change.

Submitted by ankurjain.aj625 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
very well built, dynamic,detailed and yet smooth soundig amp. sound does not crack at high volumes and remain in total control of the things.bass goes deep down means it does not give extra emphasis to mid bass.can be used with detailed sounding cdps like cambridge audio 640c v2 with astounding effect.good for every kind of music. impossible to buy such an amp at this price. this amp is rated on very conservative side for power. can drive big floorstanders easily. even at 8 o clock i am able to get perfect soundstage with mission m73i.use it with detailed(does not mean bright) cdp.

Purchased At:   india

Submitted by ankur a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
bought cambridge audio 640c v2 cdp before this due to a very good review of this cdp in a uk mag. but cdp sounded very flat and a bit on thin side due to extra details at extremes specially at higher freq. i needed an amp witch does not exaggerate the things. bought marantz pm7001 and what a match it has become with ca cdp. sound is very detailed(courtesy ca cdp) yet very smooth and controlled with very good overall dynamics.this amp is very powerfull also, drives mission m73i easily and gives convincing soundstage even at 8 o clock. go ahead with this, this is damn good at this price.

Purchased At:   india

Speakers for Marantz PM7001 and SA8001

[FONT="Arial"][/FONT][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][B][/B][B][/B][I][/I][B][/B] Hi Everyone! I'm looking for recommendations for speakers to accompany my Marantz PM7001 integrated amp and Marantz SA8001 CD Player. They need to be bookshelf-size for a medium-sized living room, and be able to sound great at ... Read More »

CSB 1206 BLK: