Marantz PM6004 Integrated Amplifiers

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

integrated amplifier 45 watts x 2 into 8 ohms,6 stereo RCA audio inputs (including phono)

Submitted by friedman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Bottom Line:
little bit over price in US market, elegant outlook, sound is not as warm as vintage marantz receivers, like my 2252b. a good choice for new products over this price range.

Submitted by Mitch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
I was first introduced to the “Marantz sound” a year ago when I, jokingly, hooked-up my little 2216B receiver to my massive Polk Audio SDA-1B speakers expecting the sound to resemble that of a transistor radio. After all, how could an entry level, 35 year old, 16-wpc-receiver sound anything but? I was not prepared for what I heard. It was the most pleasing, lush and musical sound I have ever heard from any amp/receiver I have ever owned which includes vintage G-series Sansui’s, Pioneer Elite, Adcom and Onkyo Integra. Certainly not the last word in detail, soundstage and accuracy, but it definitely had “it”.

My dilemma was that I really wanted an integrated amp as I do virtually no listening to broadcast FM and I also wanted sturdy binding posts and a remote. With a budget of around $500.00, I had to decide whether to go with a new integrated or a vintage Marantz receiver and have it restored. So, I purchased a used but mint 2265B and a used NAD 326BEE and A/B’ed them to see which was better. While the NAD had a brighter and more detailed top end, the Marantz had an overall more pleasing and musical sound that edged out its competitor.

Still not satisfied, I kept searching and stumbled upon What Hi-Fi’s 2011 Product of the Year, the Marantz PM 6004 integrated amplifier. Would this amp give me the perfect combination of modern convenience and design/components with that signature “Marantz sound”? The answer…YES!

Looks wise, it’s a very unassuming and understated piece of equipment. Just enough class and polish to distinguish itself from the ocean of BPC out there, but with a seemingly high level of fit and finish. And the sound? Perfect (to my ears anyway). The perfect blend of the classic Marantz warm, lush sound coupled with audiophile quality soundstage, detail, micro-dynamics, etc. Coupled to my Rotel RDV-1050 disc player and a variety of vintage speakers (Klipsch, Advent, Polk ) the PM 6004 delivers the goods like nothing I’ve ever heard. If I could design an amp, this would be it.

I wish I had the audio knowledge and pedigree to give an in-depth, detailed and scientific review of this amp but I do not. I am simply a shoestring budget audiophile who has been in love with home audio since the 1970’s and this is the nicest sounding amp I have ever heard. The only downside is that now I’m going to have to upgrade my speakers to fully appreciate what this Marantz can do. It makes a pair of $50.00 Insignias sound like $500.00 monitors, so I can only imagine what an actual pair of $500.00 monitors would sound like. Are there better amps put there? Of course there are and everyone’s taste is different, but to my ears nothing comes close to this amp for the price. I’m a Marantz fan for life!

CSB 1206 BLK: