Marantz PM-94BL Integrated Amplifiers

4.5/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $2800.00

140 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1989-1991)

Submitted by juan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
MARANTZ PM94 Integrated Amplifier.
I have owner this amplifier 2 or 3 years...I am impresed because is build like a thank, and beatifull finished. Really looks awesound.
But the soud for my taste is STERIL...I am surprised reading other opinions likke "tube sound, ...the best amplifier...etc...
For me is a BAD AMPLIFIER because it is NOT EMOTIONAL. I have turn off the amplifier several times because I do not like their sound.
I am big fan of tubes, and I have owned more than 20 amplifiers, jadis,Air tight,Audio research,Naim,Monarchy,Audion,Pass Aleph,Triode 845,triode 211,etc...All these are much better IMHO.
Regards

Submitted by Sabai a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hello,

The reviewer who suggested replacing the PM-94 U-jumpers (amp/preamp) hit the nail on the head. I was fortunate enough to pick up a PM-94 in beautiful condition recently. I was very happy with the sound but after reading his review I bought 4 RCA plugs -- nothing fancy, $8 for 4 -- and had my local electrical supply store solder in solid copper wire -- I had some in-wall 13 AWG lying around. I figured, what do I have to lose? The result -- my system has been transformed. The detail in the highs is now stunning and the bass is much deeper and tighter. The mids are equally improved. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on one of these hard-to-find units this may be the best tweak you will ever make to it -- and it costs next to nothing if you want to make the upgrade by yourself. Maybe Goertz interconnects or another top brand (I prefer Synergistic Research) will do an even better job. I'll find out later when I add better wiring to my system. But, for the moment, this DIY upgrade is very, very impressive. It has created an incredible improvement across the entire frequency range. Delightful -- and totally unexpected.

Sabai

My System:
Marantz PM-94 integrated amplifier
Marantz PM-14 MKII KI soon to be added as a back-up or primary unit
Marantz CD5001 CD player soon to be upgraded to the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player
Totem Rainmaker speakers
DIY interconnects and cables soon to be upgraded to Synergistic Research

Submitted by kb0000 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
A very hot running PM-94 means the bias is set wrong & you are asking for burning out the FETs which are very expensive to replace. Get it checked yesterday.

Submitted by jasonbf a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
The best way to sum up the Marantz PM-94 is to quote Sam Tellig from the September 1988 Stereophile..."Without a doubt, this $2900 model is the finest integrated amplifier I've auditioned, and the most beautifully finished, beautifully built integrated I've ever seen...The midrange is glorious...The PM-94 sound Class A...The PM-94 has a beguiling sweetness that can only be described as musical...It is almost tubelike--I say 'almost' because it is sweeter than most tube amps I've heard."

With that overview, its obvious that this is not a muscle amp...It is MosFet and pure Class A to 35 watts...It is sweet and subtle like SETs, not dissonant like most Class A/B bipolar transistors...If you obsess over tonalily like most reviewers obsess over resolution you will love it...It reproduces the human voice like no other transistor amp I've ever heard...In the final analysis, of course, it's all a matter of personal taste...

One note of caution...The PM-94, like all pure Class A amps, runs VERY hot...The supplied cage, while gorgeous with its rosewood sidepanels, does not provide adequate ventilation...If you search the forums, there are reports of solder joint failure due to heat fatigue...Those people had to dismantel their units and resolder the faulty connections...The solution is to remove the cover and run the unit open...It doesn't look pretty, but it runs much cooler, and should last indefinitely...Mine has had no problems after 15 years...

December 2007 Update...Since the initial review, the unit has been moved into an open location where the uncovered structure was visually intrusive...A cooling fan solution was devised...Two 120 mm ultra quiet, low speed (900 rpm) fans, gold grills to match the PM-94, large foam rubber feet, and a wall-wart plugged directly into the variable AC outlet of the unit...With the case restored and the two gold trimmed fans on the top, it looks superb and very high-tech...All the cage metal on top is now cool to the touch while on, and the fans are not audible beyond one foot!

One other "tweak" I failed to mention in the original review...Tellig, in his 1988 commentary, opined that the preamp section was perhaps not the equal of the output amp...What I had found was that the little U-jumpers on the rear of the unit were the culprit...I replaced them years ago with .5m of Goertz silver micro-purl interconnects...The difference was not subtle; the PM-94 was transformed!

A few words regarding the phono section...It is superb...The sound texture is remarkably open and expansive...Tone quality is entirely consistent with the unit as a while...Classical piano is rich and resonant; voices are those of real human beings, and strings (the Achilles heel of transistors) are completely natural...

An all around winner for musicality...

Purchased At:   Dmark

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
WOW!! What a great purchase. I decided to unload my Mcintosh system that took up way too much room and buy this intergrated amp. Needless to say I don't miss the stuff at all!! From the moment I fired this amp up and threw some music in the cd player I found the sound to be as clear and detailed as the mac. It has a look that shows that it was well built. I cannot say enough about this amp. If you find one buy it....You won't be let down!

TARA LABS: